Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA: Should I complain and expect something in return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:28 am
Original Poster

DYKWIA?! I am a Marriott Titanium member and they wouldn't let me check in with my giraffe...

In all seriousness, trying to calibrate expectations and experience here. Doing a 5-night stay at the Residence Inn (US-based) with the fam now, and everything suck balls.

Laundry list of issues:
1) Arrived at 4pm, room was not ready. ...? I checked in on the app, and stated 3pm arrival time. I am one hour late and they're still not done. Had to wait till 4.30pm, but I was pressing the issue.
2) No acknowledgement of my status at check in
3) Ice maker not working in the room, and no ice machines (except front desk) in the entire hotel. If you don't have ice machine, then make sure every room is properly equipped!
4) TVs don't work in one of the room, deadbolt at front door doesn't work
5) Lastly, when I called to raise this issues, the damn telephone doesn't work, so have to walk down to front desk a few times
6) No rooms available to change to, must wait till tomorrow. I am not a solo traveler this time, this is an inconvenience for many.

So DYKWIA?
a) Suck it up, this is Marriott.
b) Complain, but don't get anything in return
c) Complain, expect partial compensation
d) Complain, expect full compensation

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Nov 24, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
1) they should give you free drinks/dinner (if offered there)
2) I always mention it if they don't if I don't just want the points. At a RI that usually includes breakfast for everyone you get the points unless you want something from the 'shop'
3) I'm sure you can survive until they fix it with the desk options. Unless you're trying to see who can come up with the longest list of complaints . . .
4) TV they should be able to fix in a day or move you. Deadbolt is the first real problem you've mentioned. THAT should be dealt with ASAP
5) Call on your cell. You'd be surprised how many room phones don't work. Signed, guy who tried to call 911 from a low end Bonvoy property room once only to find the phone didn't work at all
6) If they can't fix everything, I'm not sure you have a choice.

Maybe they will comp you the room for the first night with so much wrong. I wouldn't ask for more than that. Of course I don't know what DWYWIA stands for, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Go to the FD and see if you see the business card of the GM - if there is one, grab it, write to the GM - don't bother with the FDC, they have very little power to make things right. If you don't see one, ask the FDC and write to the GM.

Since you are there for several nights, I'd write to ask him to "make things right" without mentioning what I want. Let the GM do the job, if the GM doesn't write or not wanting to "make things right", forward the email to Marriott.

I wouldn't talk to anyone as you need paper trail as a record. I stayed in a RI for 5 nights and was upset by something similar: the first room we got smelled like a wet dog and with trash from previous guests, then the freezer didn't keep my ice-cream frozen. Asked to move room and again they had no room and had to wait until the next day - had to keep it in the kitchen downstairs. Breakfast set up was terrible (post corona) and we could only get 1 item per person. Moved to the next room, and the freezer still didn't keep our ice-cream frozen so we had to continue to keep them in the kitchen. I wrote to the GM and suddenly we got better service at the breakfast and I got 25k points for the inconvenience.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Laundry list of issues:
1) Arrived at 4pm, room was not ready. ...? I checked in on the app, and stated 3pm arrival time. I am one hour late and they're still not done. Had to wait till 4.30pm, but I was pressing the issue. Not worth complaining.
2) No acknowledgement of my status at check in. Not worth complaining (at least not on its own).
3) Ice maker not working in the room, and no ice machines (except front desk) in the entire hotel. If you don't have ice machine, then make sure every room is properly equipped! Not worth complaining (at least not on its own).
4) TVs don't work in one of the room, deadbolt at front door doesn't work. Should have been fixed promptly.
5) Lastly, when I called to raise this issues, the damn telephone doesn't work, so have to walk down to front desk a few times. Should have been fixed promptly.
6) No rooms available to change to, must wait till tomorrow. I am not a solo traveler this time, this is an inconvenience for many. Because they didn't fix 4 and 5? No guaranty a new room would have a working phone.
Overall, they should throw you some points, up to the value of a one-night stay.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
DWYWIA?!
Sorry, even Mr. Google can't tell me what this means...
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Acknowledgement of status? I got a big laugh out of that one. It's funny and sad at the same time.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Uh, I'd expect then to fix the phone and tv and get you ice. That's it. Things break. That's why there are repairmen.

No one did you any harm. Asking for compensation for such little things is what makes people in hospitality so jaded
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
If I do not get what I have paid for, I usually make sure management knows about it.

You are staying at Residence Inn which I have always thought was one step up from a Motel 6 so you should not expect to be treated as if you are staying at the Ritz. But a minimum level of service should be provided to all guests.

Last edited by AJNEDC; Nov 24, 2023 at 9:51 pm
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Acknowledgement of status? I got a big laugh out of that one. It's funny and sad at the same time.
This however seems to be very important to more people than I thought. So if the front desk doesn’t say “Welcome to the RI Mr. Blah Blah and thank you for being a Titanium Bonvoy member” then that is grounds for compensation.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I think it is something in the vein of Do you know who I am. But I could be wrong...
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
This however seems to be very important to more people than I thought. So if the front desk doesn’t say “Welcome to the RI Mr. Blah Blah and thank you for being a Titanium Bonvoy member” then that is grounds for compensation.
It is that someone expecting this from Residence Inn I find amusing.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Typo, meant to say DYKWIA (Do You Know Who I am)
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJNEDC
If I do not get what I have paid for, I usually make sure management knows about it.

You are staying at Residence Inn which I have always thought was one step up from a Motel 6 so you should not expect to be treated as if you are staying at the Ritz. But a minimum level of service should be provided to all guests.
It's the highest tier Marriott property that provides a full-size fridge. Yes, minimum level of service such as everything is working properly.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Uh, I'd expect then to fix the phone and tv and get you ice. That's it. Things break. That's why there are repairmen.

No one did you any harm. Asking for compensation for such little things is what makes people in hospitality so jaded
It's part of Marriott expectation in offering a welcome gift for elite members. Which I didn't get any btw... I know the default is 500 pts, but I should be offered a choice.
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP

OTH, if a company incorporates specific services into its value proposition, it must be held accountable for fulfilling those commitments. If it is unable to deliver on what it promises, it should refrain from including it in the value proposition and charging customers for services that cannot be effectively provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.