Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l380
Print Wikipost

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Breakfast at the restaurant is included for all guests. Plat amenity is wine or 500 points. You cannot use SNAs here since all rooms are suites. We were here in 2012 and dream of going back. We had an amazing time!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat
wanted to add that room service for breakfast was available for a small fee. try the yogurt and the greek side ofthe menu- you can get bacon and eggs anywhere
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Thank you

Originally Posted by Helloyellow
wanted to add that room service for breakfast was available for a small fee. try the yogurt and the greek side ofthe menu- you can get bacon and eggs anywhere
Helloyellow, Thank you for this information.^.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Reservations for 2015 can now be booked online for paid rates and points bookings (still 60,000 per night; must call or chat with SPG to make the latter).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I think this thread is pretty comprehensive on the information for Mystique. If you want a good chuckle there is also the thread that went on and on just before our recent visit about the guy being kicked out of the resort. Everyone seemed to think it was a case of DYKWIA and I have to agree since had an enjoyable stay. Sure the hotel has some issues but they kept us happy through our stay.

So as not to bore everyone with our stay details I figured I would post some pics of our Wet Allure Suite which speak for themselves. Enjoy!

View you get when the hotel bus lets you out at the stairs leading down to the hotel:

Balcony with view:

Room: (bath and bedroom were small but we spent virtually no time in the room)

Last edited by christianj; Jul 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Mystique

I am at the Mystique now. Excellent property and staff. The resort now has 33 rooms.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Absolutely beautiful. I hope to one day stay at this property.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Mixed feelings

We finished up a stay at the hotel last month - overall it's a very unique property but thought the room we had was not up to our expectations. Perhaps others are different, but we weren't thrilled with ours.

Physical property:
- Most unique property we stayed at in Greece. The hotel is down about 200 feet worth of relatively steep steps. The steps certainly give some exercise going up - we could definitely feel it.
- Property is "vertical" - main pool and breakfast is at one level, reception at another, pool / sushi at another. There aren't a lot of big common areas, but enough small ones with beautiful views.

Our room:
- The room was well-appointed - very comfortable king size bed with nice sheets, good quality towels and bath products, etc.
- Our room had one major quirk - a large hot tub in the bathroom. The hot tub was peculiar in that it was up a steep step in the corner of the bathroom. At 90+ degrees outside we weren't too excited for a steaming hot bath
- The downside of the hot tub / bathroom was that the room got extraordinarily hot and humid. Water was dripping down the walls / pooling on the floor, eyeglasses fogged over, etc. It was basically impossible to use the bathroom without breaking into a deep sweat. My wife eventually started just using the restaurant bathroom! We also had to keep the bathroom door closed and the AC cranked on max, or else the room got to be too hot
- The other quirk was that our room stinked of chlorine (I assume from the hot tub). The hotel knows this and sends workers to the rooms throughout the day to spray down the rooms with Glade. We had to stop the good-natured worker who started spraying our bed, the couch and even some of our stuff
Maybe I am being unreasonable, but at ~$1k per night I don't expect to deal with these issues. We contacted the hotel but they did little to resolve the question. I then emailed starwood, who contacted the hotel, but little was done

Dining:
- Hotel breakfast was great. It's not a buffet - you're given a large menu and order whatever you want. Excellent service, very fresh food and very pleasing choices. Overall a high points
- We generally walked to the pedestrian thoroughfare in Oia and enjoyed meals at Roku and Thalami

Other:
- If you like the shade, the lounge chairs will not work great. There are only about 12-15 chairs and almost none are shaded. This was a problem for us as the sun was very, very strong. Our room's chairs were also in the sun, so we didn't use them
- Hotel offers a free shuttle to the airport and back. We had no issues getting picked up. Leaving the hotel they recommended a time much earlier than we actually needed. However the Santorini airport is a disaster, so delays there would not be surprising if leaving at a busy time

The property is very unique and beautiful, but we were quite disappointed with our room. We are not likely to return.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Just got back from a very nice 5 night stay on points. No room upgrade (booked the Vibrant Suite), and there was a tree in front of our unit that partially blocked the sea view. We could have tried to change to another room later during our stay, but we decided that the unit was fine.

When I emailed the resort asking if breakfast was included as a platinum benefit, they informed me that since it was a points stay, no breakfast would be provided. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in that breakfast was included as part of our Platinum Amenity, and it was also extended to our adult daughter who was with us in the room. Breakfast was at the restaurant near the lower pool, and you can order anything off of the menu.

No major issues at this property, service was excellent, and we really enjoyed our stay!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Finally completed my blog entry

After the thread about the bad condition and service, I was rather apprehensive about my stay which was a couple of weeks after in August.

Thankfully all went well.

I booked a Allure Suite and no upgrade was available.

The breakfast was good but pricey if not included in the room rate.

But the steps are fiendish! And I was recovering from a sprained right foot!

My review of the hotel is on my blog if anyone is interested.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
We are heading to Santorini in May. I am holding a Vibrant suite at the mystique for 260 Eur/night, and a Senior Suite at Katikies for 400 eur/night. Mystique reviews are mostly positive, with some poor stays here and there. Katikies reviews are all positive. Has anyone stayed at both properties? Would Katikies be worth the extra 140 eur/night.

Katikies pools seem better than those at the Mystique. I wonder if that will even matter in May. Are they heated? Will it be warm enough to swim?

thanks
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by ekartash
We are heading to Santorini in May. I am holding a Vibrant suite at the mystique for 260 Eur/night, and a Senior Suite at Katikies for 400 eur/night. Mystique reviews are mostly positive, with some poor stays here and there. Katikies reviews are all positive. Has anyone stayed at both properties? Would Katikies be worth the extra 140 eur/night.

Katikies pools seem better than those at the Mystique. I wonder if that will even matter in May. Are they heated? Will it be warm enough to swim?

thanks
Have you looked for information in the Luxury Hotels Forum? I think you might have better luck there with a comparison between the two properties.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
I hope you can help. I am trying to book a room at the end of June. I noticed a "Taste of Luxury" offer and tried to book that. It looks like that offer is available on dates I want to book but when I go through the process it is not clear I am booking that offer. Has anyone else had that issue? The cheapest rate i can find is now $945 a night! Thanks for you help?
arkyrab likes this.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
We just completed a 3-night stay at this magnificent property. We booked a Vibrant Suite and were upgraded to a "Wet" room (i.e. - hot tub outside), but I am not sure if it was a "Wet Allure" room based on the photos on the website (perhaps a "Wet Vibrant" room, if that exists). The room was small and it felt MUCH smaller than the 431 sq. ft. it was listed at. We had to rearrange the room a bit just to have room service one night. I really wish they would call most of these rooms what they are (a Basic Room or perhaps a skewed definition of a Junior Suite) rather than what they have listed on the website (Suite). I cannot really think of a good reason why a Vibrant Suite would cost twice the amount of points than a normal room anywhere else (aside from the price of Oia and the location of the resort, of course).

The service at the property was top notch. The hotel was booked for the duration our stay, likely due to single night stays by the cruise ship or island tour operators. We recognized the faces of the people staying there for more than a single night during breakfast, around the resort, at the pool, etc. Fortunately, with the small number of rooms they have at the property, this meant that the staff was able to be very attentive, whether that was for room service, housekeeping, dinner at a restaurant, breakfast, or whatever else.

As for the little "extras," we were brought a cake and large bottle of wine for our anniversary, a large bouquet of flowers for my wife, a slice of cake and dessert wine, a plate of fruits and nuts (and wine), etc. There was something new every day (or multiple times per day). This was the first time we've ever had an experience like this, to be honest.

The steps can be a bear. Like with any vacation we take, we spent about a month or two in the gym prior to vacation to get in shape for walking and to shave a few pounds off. I was able to handle the steps most of the time, but my wife struggled big time. By the time we left the Mystique, we had lost 2-3 pounds each (and that is with eating and drinking whatever we wanted, including non-American Coca-Cola, which we enjoy a little too much living in Atlanta).

We selected breakfast for our Platinum amenity and it was worth it. The menu is a la carte and you can have anything on it. If you want it in room, there is a 10 euro service charge, but the meal is still free. I will say that I was slightly surprised when they brought out the pancakes (baby-sized), but it made for a cute photo for Facebook.

I cannot say enough about the staff, though. They were absolutely incredible and they are the reason this is not an average resort in an exotic location. From the waitress at breakfast who remembers EVERYTHING (and asks about your adventures and recalls your order from the prior day) to the bellhops who can somehow run up the steps with 50-pound luggage, this group of staffers - at all levels - simply impressed the hell out of me.

I would recommend booking a tour of the island if you want to see it. There is also a bus stop at the top of the resort steps, although be sure to stand outside the little bus stop shelter and flag down the bus when it approaches (they may flash their lights at you). Driving on the island is insane. The roads are one-laned in most high traffic areas and there are many large tour buses and public buses and resort vans, etc. that take up these roads in the major towns/villages.

If you want to see the sunset and you don't want to fight the crowds in Oia, you can head down to Pyrgos and ascend to the top of the village for a magnificent view. I would also recommend visiting Akrotiri (the actual village not the red beach). Both of these little villages are quite amazing for photography, a good meal and coffee.

P.S. - We had no feces in our shower ($1 to the review last year), but I will say that it did not have good drainage. The shower also did not have a good seal on the door, so we simply had to put down step out towels on either side of the shower corner in order to catch the leaks. Not a big deal since we would have housekeeping in there within a few minutes of taking our "Do Not Disturb" hang tag off the door.

Last edited by jibi; May 25, 2015 at 9:12 am
Old May 25, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Anyone visiting dare to ask the FD about that thread from last year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.