Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Venice [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Venice [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:24 pm

Any 2016 thoughts on the differences between SPG's Venice offerings with the new PalazzinaG hotel?

Would having only two nights as SPG Gold in Aug effect the analysis?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:16 am

I'm going to Venice thanks to the recent BA Club World sale. Will be there during the Carnival festival. Anyway, I'm narrowing down to two choices

Gritti Palace vs. Hotel Danieli.
Will be using Citi prestige 4th night free + SPG Luxury Privileges rate + SPG Plat suite upgrade. The rate includes full breakfast & $100 food credit.

The price difference between Gritti Palace and Danieli is about 350 Euro. Is the Gritti Palace 350 Euro better than the Danieli? Currently have the Danieli booked, but can easily switch over.

For those who've been to both, which is better for
Breakfast?
Dinner?
Basic room?
Basic suite?
Concierge?
Spa?
Any space where I can enjoy a few glasses of wine and just relax?

Will try to get into osteria francescana in this trip, so hopefully the concierge can do something about it. Not sure if I want to stay in Modena overnight though.

TIA
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
As others have said - Venice Italy is a cornucopia for Starwood hotels. Maybe there is no other place on earth with so many good hotels available with the Starwood brand.
My wife and I had a fantastic stay in Venice last month. It was a short stay - 3 nights - but was such a unique experience!
We stayed at the Gritti, but visited the Danielli and the Westin. (Not the St. Regis). Thoughts follow:
Gritti:
Intimate, precious, quiet, elegant, gracious. Breakfast on the terrace is unbelievable. The concierge desk is very useful. The décor is Venice style and very decadent. We used points, and SNAs, ended up in a Senestiere Suite facing the side canal. Though I tried - there was no talking them into a canal room or even a room on the square (trust me, I've practiced the spiel for years). In any case we really enjoyed the location. The room on the side canal was interesting. If we leaned out the window we had a great view down the canal, or to the grand canal. Bang and Olufsen stereo. Great bathroom, killer toiletries, two bathrobes. Closet was small but sufficed.
Danielli:
We didn't see any rooms, just the public areas including the roof terrace where we went for an expensive drink. The public spaces are certainly heads-and-shoulders more extravagant compared to the Gritti. The roof terrace is quite impressive. As others have said - a busier alternative.
Westin:
When I was booking, I thought: "I don't want to go to Venice and stay in a Westin...". In hindsight I certainly feel differently. While this hotel is branded a Westin (and it is definatly larger than the Danielle or Gritti) - it is still a beautiful hotel. The big upside here is that there are many, many rooms with direct or indirect Grand Canal views. Including many with terraces, as others have noted. Honestly, in hindsight, I might have booked here. It seems to have the most available rooms for upgrades.
In summary - you can't lose. Choose as you wish!
Off the hotel topics, some other advice:
We took a water bus (the cheap service) in from the airport. While it met my bargain goals - it was really slow. It was interesting, but after a long travel experience, it was a bit tedious. And - after The $110 charge for a private taxi was hard to swallow. But we did it on the way back to the airport.
Even though we had a favorable exchange rate - Venice was still expensive. be prepared! Look out for restaurants with "cover charges" and with "mandatory service".
Venice is filled with incredible boutiques for shopping. If you are going with your wife - leave a lot of extra luggage space and budget space. We spent a lot of time browsing shops (or she did, at least) and there were many more things I really wish we could have bought. One could stock up on gifts for years.
I just returned from Venice;

We ended up staying at the Westin. I thought it was fine, if pricey (but Venice is outrageous in general). As a Gold, breakfast wasn't included, and we didn't get it (we looked at the buffet and were not impressed), particularly for 38 Euro /pp. The room was a deluxe but was pretty sizable for a euro room, classically decorated, nice bathroom. They gave us a bottle of prosecco for my mother in law's birthday (and a chocolate cake) so very nice touch. The Gold drink for two would've blown well through the 15 euro max for a single drink but they happily gave us our choice of two drinks and took the card.

One "hint", I guess, is that they will give you one coffee (espresso/cappuccino) per person per day comp'd, you call and order it and they bring it, in exchange for a card near the mini-bar. they don't advertise that feature, I happened upon it.

Another nice feature is that unlike the Danieli, it is ON the canal, including the bar, dock, an open area which you can sit at, which is fantastic, and the restaurant. So plenty of opportunity to enjoy the canal view without being relieved of an extra 500-1000 euro a night.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by entropy
Another nice feature is that unlike the Danieli, it is ON the canal, including the bar, dock, an open area which you can sit at, which is fantastic, and the restaurant. So plenty of opportunity to enjoy the canal view without being relieved of an extra 500-1000 euro a night.
To be clear, the Danieli is also ON the canal. I believe you mean that there is a walkway between the Danieli building and the water, whereas the Westin has no walkway between it, and has a restaurant with outdoor seating located on the water.

We spent 2 nights in the Danieli last month, our SNA cleared into a canalfront suite with balcony (was 2 floors directly below the breakfast/bar on the top floor). The suite was absolutely amazing--exact same view as the restaurant everyone raves about for breakfast, except private!

As for Gritti vs. Danieli, you're more likely to get upgraded to a room with a view at Danieli--they just have more of them. Venice itself is absolutely packed with tourists. Danieli is right in the heart of this, whereas Gritti is slightly more secluded in the sense of not having a major walkway right in front of it.

We paid about $75/night more for Danieli than Westin, which was easily worth it. Gritti was almost $500/night more. Absolutely not worth it, imho. On points, just depends on what you want. I'd consider both Gritti and Danieli on points, although probably would just pay for Danieli because point value isn't great (1.8cpp when we stayed). Gritti seems to always exceed 3cpp.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:38 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
I'm going to Venice thanks to the recent BA Club World sale. Will be there during the Carnival festival. Anyway, I'm narrowing down to two choices

Gritti Palace vs. Hotel Danieli.
Will be using Citi prestige 4th night free + SPG Luxury Privileges rate + SPG Plat suite upgrade. The rate includes full breakfast & $100 food credit.

Will try to get into osteria francescana in this trip, so hopefully the concierge can do something about it. Not sure if I want to stay in Modena overnight though.

TIA
We will be at the Gritti in a few weeks and will report back on that and the Danieli, where we do plan to visit for drinks. (We also will be having lunch at the Aman...and we may also check out the new Design option, PallazinaG.)

We decided against a night away in Modena to get into Osteria Francescana, much as we are dying to try it, too. Instead, we used the Grittie concierge and hired a private car and driver to take us to Rubano for dinner at fellow 3 star and world top 30-40 Le Calandre...just an hour's drive away.
travelista likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:21 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

So we loved our stay at the Gritti. The review is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post27349332

We also had lunch at the Aman and toured the property with the GM/AGM (not sure!). It certainly is the most beautiful property in Venice. But the service and food/beverage standard at the Gritti easily was comparable to that of the Aman, FWIW. I'm sure my SPG Plat Ambassador status was a factor, to be sure. But that's the whole point for a hotel loyalty program.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:16 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Great review bhrubin.

Our son and his wife will be visiting Venice in December. They have most nights booked at PalazzinaG with a final night at the Danieli. I am very excited to hear their trip report on PallazinaG. We've had wonderful stays at both Gritti and Danieli but our heart belongs to the Danieli. So far they have always treated us well.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
Great review bhrubin.

Our son and his wife will be visiting Venice in December. They have most nights booked at PalazzinaG with a final night at the Danieli. I am very excited to hear their trip report on PallazinaG. We've had wonderful stays at both Gritti and Danieli but our heart belongs to the Danieli. So far they have always treated us well.
Thanks! We had a wonderful lunch on the outdoor terrace at the Danieli. It's a bigger property a little too much in the middle of the crazy for us, but it certainly is a lovely hotel, as well. We had hoped to check out the PalazzinaG, but never got around to it.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 19, 2016 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

TIA
Any luck with the Gritti's concierge getting you a table? I hope to go there too and have several dates on the waiting list but if staying at the Gritti can nudge me up the list a spot or two, I might be inclined to spend a few days there.

That brings me to a few other questions; my visit to Venice is likely to be in February - weather will be nice and cold, tourist crowds will be lower, is it really worth visiting at this time (like are restaurants/cafes mostly open)? And if occupancy is lower than normal, am I expected to get a nicer upgrade?
I will likely book a Venetian Room at the Gritti, so if I might get a suite upgrade there - I will book now

Last time we stayed at the Danieli and it was right in the middle of July when it was like tourist-mecca. Grand hotel but I hear the Gritti might be just a little nicer

Last edited by alanslegal; Dec 7, 2016 at 5:41 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

No luck with osteria francescana.
Got into Enoteca Pinchiorri in florence with local hotel concierge there though. Seems easy to get in.
Still undecided which option to pick. Gritti appears to be selling out. They only have rooms/suites at 1700 Euro/night left. Not sure how that affects the upgrade chance. Danieli still has a lot of suites and rooms with view left.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Venice : affordable point stay

We had an SPG points stay @ the new Four Points in Mestre last month. I recommend this property for:
- escape from the crowds of tourists in Venice (hourly trains to Venice cost 1.25 Euros);
- decent buffet breakfast (for Plats).
I was aghast to discover the best available rates at this property are now 172 Euros! That's ridiculous. You can find affordable 3-star hotels in Venice for 1/2 that. My advice? Book (early) on points.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
We had an SPG points stay @ the new Four Points in Mestre last month. I recommend this property for:
- escape from the crowds of tourists in Venice (hourly trains to Venice cost 1.25 Euros);
- decent buffet breakfast (for Plats).
I was aghast to discover the best available rates at this property are now 172 Euros! That's ridiculous. You can find affordable 3-star hotels in Venice for 1/2 that. My advice? Book (early) on points.
Thanks for the heads up on the 4 Points Mestre.
I'm staying next month for 56 Euros (4K free/2K +$35 are also available).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I will be heading to Venice in 3 weeks and have 2 nights there. I booked the Gritti for the first night on points (35K SPG) and have both the Gritti and the Danieli booked for the second night for 37,750 and 31,500 SPG pts respectively. Still waiting for my Ambassador to confirm how many points I get back for the last 2 reservations.

This may be my only opportunity to be able to afford these properties (cat 7 until the end of the year). Does it make sense to spend one night at each? According to Google Maps, it's only an 11 min walk between the properties.

TIA
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I will be heading to Venice in 3 weeks and have 2 nights there. I booked the Gritti for the first night on points (35K SPG) and have both the Gritti and the Danieli booked for the second night for 37,750 and 31,500 SPG pts respectively. Still waiting for my Ambassador to confirm how many points I get back for the last 2 reservations.

This may be my only opportunity to be able to afford these properties (cat 7 until the end of the year). Does it make sense to spend one night at each? According to Google Maps, it's only an 11 min walk between the properties.

TIA
Gritti would be my choice. Danieli is in a more busy location at the Vaporetto stations, Gritti has unbeatable terrace restaurants at Canale Grande, renovated rooms, my favourite hotel in Venice.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by margarita girl

TIA
You only live once. So why not enjoy yourself? I think almost anyone would agree it’s nicer to stay 2 nights in the same hotel rather than 1 night apiece at 2 different hotels—no matter how close they may be too each other. Why waste time packing and unpacking and figuring out where facilities are when you could spend your time enjoying yourself instead?

We stayed 4 nights at the Gritti and had a spectacular stay. We particularly enjoyed having sundowners on the canalfront Riva Bar every night—and its canalfront restaurant also has a Michelin star. We also had a wonderful lunch at the Danieli’s lovely rooftop outdoor terrace restaurant looking onto the Grand Canal. So you can enjoy both while staying at one, anyway.

I agree that the Gritti’s location is a lot less hectic and less touristy than the Danieli’s.

As an Ambassador level guest, assuming it’s not sold out, you are likely to also be upgraded beyond the award room category you’ve booked—even at the much smaller Gritti. We were upgraded on an award stay of 4 nights at the Gritti to the Dalmatia Suite.

We thought the Gritti was the city’s best hotel; we liked it even more than the vaunted Aman Grand Canal Venice property that we also toured and at which we also enjoyed a lovely lunch. I can’t recommend the Gritti enough. Here’s my Expert Review from Oct 2016 was posted to the Luxury Forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 9, 2018 at 10:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.