Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Panama City, Panama

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi all! Doing a quick mistake fare / mileage run to Panama City for the weekend for the fiance's birthday. This whole thing came together in about an hour (and we're heading to the airport now for a positioning flight) Does anyone have any recommendations on Marriott hotels in the area? We're only there for a couple of days and I've never been to Panama.

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Mods, please leave the title mistake.

OP, Both the W and JW are serviable but it really depends on your tastes.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Mods, please leave the title mistake.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I stayed at the W in January for 2 nights. I booked a room on a $148 AAA rate and was upgraded to a Marvelous Suite. Take an Uber to the Panama Canal. Worth the visit!

Old May 25, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
@KRSW

We are checking into the Westin Playa Bonita today. Let us know if you chose that hotel!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:31 am

Panama: JW, W or Le Meridien for 3 nights

Has anyone stayed at any of these properties recently? Any preferences? Most interested in breakfast offering but any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question Panama city, help me choose between Le Meridien and Sheraton

My wife and I are flying to Panama city PTY to stay March 23-29, before going on cruise. Too bad Marriott removed reviews from their hotel descriptions. The descriptions may not be up-to-date with what's actually there. I just made Platinum, so hoped to have breakfast comped.

I called both hotels, and got some answers (not confident as they don't speak good English):

Le Meridien: Room has coffee maker (not on website), no microwave nor fridge. pool/spa need reservation, only open till 6pm? Lounge open and has happy hour 6-7pm. Breakfast comped in dining room. Has laundry (she didn't sound certain or really understand, website doesn't show laundry)

Sheraton: Room has coffee maker, fridge but no microwave. pool/spa open. Lounge closed but breakfast comped in dining room. Has laundry (as on website)

We plan to relax mostly, visit canal visitor center one day (visited once, short time), and one day dive/snorkel at Portebelo. Sheraton seems to have more restaurants and shopping nearby, while Le Meridien is by the financial district and closer to sea/bay, maybe better view. Sheraton has slight promo on point redemption (86k). Marriott now has double night promo to count toward Elite status, so if want to pay, Le Meridien has slightly better purchase rate.

If you've stayed in there, please share your thoughts. Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by yscleo
My wife and I are flying to Panama city PTY to stay March 23-29, before going on cruise. Too bad Marriott removed reviews from their hotel descriptions. The descriptions may not be up-to-date with what's actually there. I just made Platinum, so hoped to have breakfast comped.

I called both hotels, and got some answers (not confident as they don't speak good English):

Le Meridien: Room has coffee maker (not on website), no microwave nor fridge. pool/spa need reservation, only open till 6pm? Lounge open and has happy hour 6-7pm. Breakfast comped in dining room. Has laundry (she didn't sound certain or really understand, website doesn't show laundry)

Sheraton: Room has coffee maker, fridge but no microwave. pool/spa open. Lounge closed but breakfast comped in dining room. Has laundry (as on website)

We plan to relax mostly, visit canal visitor center one day (visited once, short time), and one day dive/snorkel at Portebelo. Sheraton seems to have more restaurants and shopping nearby, while Le Meridien is by the financial district and closer to sea/bay, maybe better view. Sheraton has slight promo on point redemption (86k). Marriott now has double night promo to count toward Elite status, so if want to pay, Le Meridien has slightly better purchase rate.

I recently found out if you go to the app and search for the hotel it does show the reviews. For LM as recent as Feb 21st 2022 and Jan 31st 2022 for Sheraton
yscleo likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by reggiekush
I recently found out if you go to the app and search for the hotel it does show the reviews. For LM as recent as Feb 21st 2022 and Jan 31st 2022 for Sheraton
Thanks. In the app, looking at booked hotel detail, it does not show reviews. Need to be out of that, to search from fresh, to see reviews. Most of the reviews have little details.

Hope to hear from people who have stayed there recently.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo

We ended up staying at the Le Meridien. It was mostly good, except for one Sat. night 3/26 when there was a party at the 6th floor banquet room. Our 5th floor room was right under that banquet room. The loud noise started around 9pm. After midnight it was still very loud and my wife called frontdesk asking when the party will go till, and if they can turn it down a bit because we couldn't sleep. The guy said he'll ask, but no answer. It went till almost 2am. The next day when I asked the frontdesk, the guy said there was a birthday party.

Another issue was I paid with Marriott GCs the night before check-out. But instead of redeeming what we owe, they redeemed everything, leaving a negative balance. When I pointed that out, they lady said I can just spend the balance at the hotel. I asked for the balance back on a GC. Next morning when checking out, they did not have a GC for me, and said they'll ask the office. We left, and there was no contact from the hotel about returning that negative balance.

Other than that, as Plat we were comped buffet breakfast which was good. There had local fruits and I liked the papaya. They also have a daily 6-7pm happy hour where you can get drinks and snacks.

There is spa facility. When we asked, the lady didn't speak English, but with gestures did indicate the steam room broke and sauna is $15/p. We used the pool once. Although Panama is hot and humid, the small outdoor pool is unheated and when the sun goes down it felt cool.

The business center is small and by the printer it listed charges for printing. When I asked at frontdesk, the lady said I can send email and they can print up to 10 pages free.

They have a lounge, but it's only table/chairs/sofas. Nobody looking after it, no refreshments. We didn't see anyone using it.

The hotel is conveniently located, not far from the bay. We walked to the bay for nice strolls. It's also 1km from the Megapolis Outlet Mall -- which is not mega, just a medium sized mall and 1/2 of the shops are closed. We did buy a few things in the department store Conway which is like a cheaper Walmart. The packaging bag shows red circles like Target. We also walked to the mediclinic for our pre-cruise antigen test.

Three other couples also came to stay at this hotel, and I was able to arrange a shuttle bus to take us to see Fort San Lorenzo, then to the NCL Jewel cruise embarkation in Colon, Panama.

I'd stay at this hotel again, unless there's a party.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Any Panama Marriott Hotel aficionados out there to do a little compare and contrast?

I have a many points to use and have plans to be in Panama for 5 or 6 nights between Christmas and New Years. I am also traveling with my husband, and two daughters just under 25 plus one boyfriend. Our group is v. active and getting out of the main city is a goal but so is enjoying Panama. As we just booked I quickly read a few reviews and booked the AC Marriott in Panama and now think I should have ponied up some more points and booked the Panama. I am thinking the Sortis is out as a consideration but wonder about all of the other (many) Marriott properties in and close to Panama City. Any recent experiences that could help my thinking?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 3galsontour
I have a many points to use and have plans to be in Panama for 5 or 6 nights between Christmas and New Years. I am also traveling with my husband, and two daughters just under 25 plus one boyfriend. Our group is v. active and getting out of the main city is a goal but so is enjoying Panama. As we just booked I quickly read a few reviews and booked the AC Marriott in Panama and now think I should have ponied up some more points and booked the Panama. I am thinking the Sortis is out as a consideration but wonder about all of the other (many) Marriott properties in and close to Panama City. Any recent experiences that could help my thinking?
JW Marriott (formerly Trump, I live in the building beside it)
Sortis
Residence Inn
Aloft
Le Meridien
emma dog, unclepants, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
So no to the W?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:54 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
JW Marriott (formerly Trump, I live in the building beside it)
Sortis
Residence Inn
Aloft
Le Meridien
I see you are a Hilton person also, I am torn between the Le Meridien and the Waldorf using the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Is the Waldorf that much better?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by 3galsontour
So no to the W?
W is fine. I stayed there in March. Ive also stayed in the former Trump. The Ws location is decent but not great. Service was excellent. Room was good. The various tour companies pick folks up from the driveway in front without issue. That being said, the former Trump is significantly nicer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.