Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Fort Lauderdale 2006 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Fort Lauderdale 2006 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Arrow Westin Fort Lauderdale 2006 onward [Master Thread]

I'm going to stay at Westin Ft Lauderdale this Sunday for my business trip. But after reading so many bad reviews on Tripadvisor, I have a second thought. Just wonder if any FTers can share their unbiased opinions on this property?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:24 am

One of my main problems with the property is location. It is in the middle of an office park. Apart from a stoll around the office park there isn't much interesting walking (and no shops/restaurants within walking distance.)
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
I stayed there almost every week over a year ago. I had a great experience with staff and upgrades, the rooms were OK and our company's rate was reasonable.

I think the property suffers from a price/value problem. They were getting over $230 for a room in season at the time, and when compared to other properties elsewhere in the country it sure didn't seem like a $230 hotel. And I heard from a colleague they've started charging for parking - very odd for a suburban hotel. But obviously they can command the rate as the hotel is always very busy January through March.

And it's definately not a vacation spot by any stretch which also generates complaints. Located in a business park right off 95, and about 5 miles from any beach.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This was one of the oddest Westin's I've stayed: very nice suite, modern Westin-like decor in the room and Heavenly Bed. But downstairs, and in the public areas it was suburban office-park meets cruise ship tackyness. I remember a lot of pink. Maybe they are doing a renovation in phases?

Service was great and our meeting attendees were happy, but a little surprised at the off-the beat location.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
I stayed there almost every week over a year ago. I had a great experience with staff and upgrades, the rooms were OK and our company's rate was reasonable.

I think the property suffers from a price/value problem. They were getting over $230 for a room in season at the time, and when compared to other properties elsewhere in the country it sure didn't seem like a $230 hotel. And I heard from a colleague they've started charging for parking - very odd for a suburban hotel. But obviously they can command the rate as the hotel is always very busy January through March.

And it's definately not a vacation spot by any stretch which also generates complaints. Located in a business park right off 95, and about 5 miles from any beach.
Yup, just called the front desk to confirm: $10 for self parking!!!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, DL - Silver, Hertz gold, Starwood-Plat, Hilton-Silver, Hyatt-Plat
Its not a bad hotel its the location that is bad. It is good if you have business in that area which I did otherwise I would not recommend this hotel. For the price you can stay a better hotels in a different location
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is a Sheraton Suites on the west side of I-95 and Cypress Creek. The quality might be abit of step below the Westin, but if you need Starwood points/credit, it's a good choice. Walking distance to tons of restaurants, movie theater, Starbucks, Tri-Rail station (cheap daytime hours transport to/from FLL, PBI, MIA) and many local offices.

For the Westin to charge for self parking in that area is just outrageous. Just park at one of the nearby office buildings for free and tell the front desk to go stuff their $10 parking charge when they ask where your car is
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:13 pm

I'd agree with the consensus here: less-than ideal location. I did enjoy the hotel...for five weeks. Not a lot in the way of benefits for HHonors elites. The Hampton Inn downtown isn't too bad, or, if you do Hyatts, the Pier 66. But the FLL Starwoods...
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Not a lot in the way of benefits for HHonors elites.
I can't imagine why that would be.
Old May 7, 2007, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Figured I'd update this thread for anyone that runs a search on the property. I stayed here a few times last year and finished my first stay for this year the other day. A few things of note -

The hotel is now a franchise and therefore changes are on the way. It's slated to being top-down renovations beginning in July. Restaurant (Alfieri's) still is one to avoid. Common areas are clean but uninspiring. Rooms are worn but clean and comfortable.

The only obvious change you'll see now from the new owner is that they finally started charging $10 for self-park / night (unlimited ins and outs). This is new (as of March) and stupid.

Out of principle I'm not going to stay here on my next trip to FLL because of the hotel's nickel and diming. Hopefully they enjoyed my $30 from parking this trip and that will help them off-set the loss of revenue that, on my next trip, will be going to the Marriott across 95 (or maybe the Sheraton Suites).

I don't get why a "premium" brand like Westin would resort to tactics like this, charging a fee for the simple reason that they can.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 5:02 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Thought I'd update this on my recent experience. Three very positive changes since my last stay.
  • there's now a special platinum parking area, very close to the entrance ^ Seemingly Plat's aren't charged parking now ^^
  • a renovation is in progress. Currently the main entrance is closed, the lobby is boarded off, Alfiere's (restaurant) is closed and temporarily relocated to 2nd floor, the floor I was in has been mostly refreshed ^
  • voucher issued (to Plats) for complimentary continental breakfast ^ (full buffet is $5 extra)
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Thought I'd add my update on this proptery. Stayed here one night in late July.

Many posters complain about the location. I don't really see the problem. If business or pleasure takes you to Ft. Lauderdale then this location seems fairly good. Westin is located north of Ft. Lauderdale business district, just off I-95 to the East.
Exterior:
Nothing of note. Glass, modern looking exterior.
Lobby / Common areas:
Again nothing of note, typical Westin.
Check-in:
I reserved a Standard, King Room at a pre-paid rate. I arrived at about 3:45pm and suites were not ready. I let the check-in staff know that I was willing to wait on the suites to be ready if I could get the upgrade. After a few minutes wait I was offered a free drink at the bar for my willingness to wait as the housekeeping staff completed cleaning a suite for me. During my wait a typical S. FL thunderstorm passed over the hotel and caused a brief power faliure. The hotel's computer system took a while to come back on-line. Overall I ended up waiting just over an hour for a room. I was upgraded to an Executive Suite. I was told this was the best available room for a Plat upgrade.
Parking:
Valet: $14.00
Self: $10.00
Both free for Plats.
Room:
Executive Room. This is a large two room suite. Mine happened to be a corner suite. There is no doorway between living room and sleeping area. Living room has chase lounge, ~40" flat pannel tv, a couple of chairs, desk and coffee table. There was also a wet bar with microwave and sink. All furnishings are typical Westin and in good repair. Bedroom has ~27" flat pannel tv. Seperate thermostat controls for living and sleeping area. View to the north overlooks hotel pool, I-95 northbound, and Lauderdale Mountian (landfill). View to the east overlooks tralier park and ocean about 1 mile away.
Bathroom:
Bathroom has a large garden tub. Westin robe provided.
Staff
I had very limited interaction with the hotel staff except for check-in. The were polite and helpful.
Plat Reconigtion:
Room Upgrade offered at check-in.
500 Plat Amenity points offered at check-in.
Free parking offered at check-in.
50% off food and beverages offered at check-in.
Later two items are offered only to Plats as I was told.
Club Lounge:
None - This may be the reason Plats are offered the 50% discount on food and beverages.
Business Center:
Two computers with printer free of charge.
Pool / Fitness Center:
Large outdoor pool and hottub. Did not use fitness center.
Overall
My stay was during the S. FL low season so occupancy at the hotel was low. I got a great (pre-paid) rate of $89.00 thru spg.com. From my room I could see some suites had balconies. So there are obvioulsy superior suites than the one I got. I would visit this property again.

Last edited by rwsatl; Aug 1, 2009 at 5:54 pm
Old Aug 3, 2009, 3:14 pm

thanks for the update. i am staying there for one night in aug (doing a quick weekend dive trip up in the boynton beach area) and staying in Ft Lauderdale the night before we leave.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton
I stayed at this property in December of 2009. I enjoyed the location as we spent most of the time in Wilton Manors and it was just a short drive about 10 minutes. I got a 59 rate on Hotwire so that did make the parking charge not sting as much. I do agree that it is lame that a suburban location charges for that. The room was a typical Westin, we did get an oversize room which was nice considering I had not reached Gold Status yet and it was a Hotwire purchase. During our stay the New England Patriots stayed at the hotel since they were playing in Miami.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:13 pm

Stayed over at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Saturday, January 15-16. Was upgraded to an executive suite without have to ask. The room was pretty tired (meaning it could use a serious renovation), although it did come with a large exterior balcony and very nice fluffy towels (a new set perhaps?). Overall just fine, but nothing to write home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.