Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tribe Hotel, Nairobi, Design Hotels [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...language=en_US
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Interesting. The hotel is way on the other side of town from the airport so kind of far away. It will be a looooooong ride to and from the airport during peak periods. But it's near the US Embassy, the UN offices and a bunch of other embassies. So I guess that's where they will hope to get business from. I looked at rates for April and they aren't bad at $275 for an entry level room. I prefer to be in town, but I could see trying this hotel on a weekend.

But I have to wonder about the name "Tribe". The PC police don't like that word and as this is an embassy area I am surprised they chose it. It is strange because Kenya is ruled by tribal politics, but the media will never use that word or discuss that aspect of politics because they are afraid of being labeled as racist. Thus the politics of Kenya and several other parts of Africa are never adequately reported on. Sorry, but I can't see any NGO's booking meetings at the "Tribe" hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Did three nights at Tribe this past week.

Think of this place as an African W that is just beginning to show wear.

Was upgraded from base room to "Deluxe Suite". Not so much of a suite, just a large room. They told me they always upgrade PLATS if they have space.

Service at reception was really great. Staff were nice and welcoming.

Food at the restaurant was above average but not stellar. Service was hit and miss. One dinner I complained to a manager and was offered a free glass of wine which I declined.

I'd stay again when in NBO.

Uber was about $20 from the airport.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
Did three nights at Tribe this past week.

I'd stay again when in NBO.
Thanks for the review. I see you are Serena Plat? How does this hotel compare with the Serena in town? Why wouldn't you stay there? Location or something else?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks for the review. I see you are Serena Plat? How does this hotel compare with the Serena in town? Why wouldn't you stay there? Location or something else?
I've never stayed at Serena NBO, but judging by photos, Tribe is more modern and maybe hipper. I was staying at Fairmont Norfolk, but am sick of the place so I bailed to Tribe.

I'm Serena PLAT due to my stays at Serena KGL.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
I'm Serena PLAT due to my stays at Serena KGL.
Serena NBO is much better than Serena KGL IMHO. True it isn't a modern W style by any means, but it is very upscale and nice throughout. But for most people its location that counts in this traffic clogged town.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:23 am

Serena NBO is much better than Serena KGL IMHO. True it isn't a modern W style by any means, but it is very upscale and nice throughout. But for most people its location that counts in this traffic clogged town.
Late afternoon weekday it took 2:45 to get from NBO to the Norfolk. Insanity.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
have a couple of trips coming up to nairobi over the next few months....i prefer to stay at spg properties whenever possible but this place seems kind of far from the airport....how is the area when compared to other properties like the hilton & intercontinental????
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
have a couple of trips coming up to nairobi over the next few months....i prefer to stay at spg properties whenever possible but this place seems kind of far from the airport....how is the area when compared to other properties like the hilton & intercontinental????
The IC and Hilton are right in the center of town, so lots to do within walking distance. The Tribe is well outside of town. I've only been once or twice to that area so I can't say I know it well.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The IC and Hilton are right in the center of town, so lots to do within walking distance. The Tribe is well outside of town. I've only been once or twice to that area so I can't say I know it well.
thanks....the rates at the ic are much better in any case so i think this time i'm going to skip spg & stay at the ic....
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
thanks....the rates at the ic are much better in any case so i think this time i'm going to skip spg & stay at the ic....
If you don't want to go out at night, it might be worth it to get a Club room. Many a night I've had dinner there. You could also buy Ambassador status which ought to make it cheaper for you and get you an upgrade, BOGO, etc.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't want to go out at night, it might be worth it to get a Club room. Many a night I've had dinner there. You could also buy Ambassador status which ought to make it cheaper for you and get you an upgrade, BOGO, etc.
used to have ra status but i never had enough stays at ic properties to justify renewing it....will be booking a suite since i'll have 2 small children with me....i'm assuming that would come with club access....
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
This week I was looking for availability in January, and the earliest I could book was November 2017. I wonder what's going on.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Saidoh
This week I was looking for availability in January, and the earliest I could book was November 2017. I wonder what's going on.
Every day in January is available. You must have looked at a time when the hotel was updating their rates or maybe there was a power cut in Kenya.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
FYI: The Tribe, possibly only the lower half of the complex where the pool and lower rooms are, is slated to be demolished. It's built too close to the "river" behind it. The government doesn't seem to be granting any exemptions from this. I don't think the Tribe has been given a date yet but several malls have their dates and one has been destroyed already. (re: Google Tribe Hotel Riparian Land)

I don't know if the Trademark at the other end of the village market and also owned by the Tribe will count yet as a Design Hotel, even though it says it is on the Trademark's website. It doesn't show up one the SPG site.

Last edited by Dudemon; Aug 30, 2018 at 2:59 am Reason: sp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.