Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Closing 10/1/18 for renovation.
Print Wikipost

Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:37 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by TheJbomb
Can anyone tell me if the Alilaguna the same as the Vaporetti? What is the difference between time and cost?
Try: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/..._in_venice.htm

The Alilaguna is the public transport boat from the airport to the city and I believe it is e 10 to get to the San Marco stop in Venice. The boats that run throughout the canals in Venice are the Vaporetti. You can buy 1-3-7 day fare cards that are much cheaper than individual rides.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold benefits???? I have a gold. don't even know where I got it. upgrade at the E&R, get serious.

I quit doing *wood, because I got no where near the bennies all the rest of these people got when I was a plat. 5 or 6 or 7 years in FEb at the danieli for 7-10 days as a plat, and NEVER a front room. forget the Doge suite, never a front room like all the rest of these people.

had a front room for a week at danieli and at E&R on points for a week each.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by TheJbomb
My question wasn't about the cost/benefits of an Alilaguna and a water taxi - you are right that information is in that thread. I know I want to take the water BUS and not the TAXI. It also seems the Vaporetti is a water BUS. My problem is I am not quite sure where the Alilaguna fits in. Maybe that is the BUS? But, I will just Google it, I hadn't thought of that.....
I don't have my TimeOut Venice book with me now, but it has a good description of the main modes of transportation: gondola, water taxi, water bus and the Alilaguna which I think is somewhere in between a water taxi and water bus to/from the VCE airport. Again, google should have these answers.

Don't forget to take advantage of the free Starwood/CIGA boat service between the E&R and their Lido hotels (Excelsior & Des Bains). Its a fun ride in itself.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
Just came back from a 2 nights stay there using points. 2 thumbs up.

We arrived ~9pm and we bite the bullet and took the watertaxi to the hotel, it was a wonderful experience. Taxi dropped us off at the dock. Checkin was a breeze and we were given room 308.

We got a bottle of sparking and choclate waiting in the room. (I've noted on the reservation that it's our honeymoon). Room was very nice, and we have a little balcony and partial canal view. What more can I ask for when I'm just a regular spg member (ex-plat.)

We also burned 3000pts on the breakfast for 2, the food wasn't bad, but no way it worths 50Euros each if paying cash even with the view of the canal .

when we left we took the vapporetto to the train station and it's another unique experience. We truly enjoyed our stay at Venice it's such a lovely place.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Last month we were in Venice for the first time and did not take the water taxi, but wished we had. If you have never been to Venice, I would take the water taxi to the hotel. Leaving the hotel, once you have figured things out a Vaparetto should be fine.

The nice thing is that the water taxi will take you to the hotels dock where porters will help you.

Originally Posted by XFed2001
I've read the various postings about how to get from the airport to the E & R via water taxi. Could someone shed some light on how to get one's luggage to the water taxi landing? I read that it is a 10-15 minute walk but nowhere did I read about how to get one's luggage to the water taxi. Are there porters or what? I also read that Starwood had a booth at VCE; can one make arrangements at the booth to transport luggage to the various hotels? Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Last month we were in Venice for the first time and did not take the water taxi, but wished we had. If you have never been to Venice, I would take the water taxi to the hotel. Leaving the hotel, once you have figured things out a Vaparetto should be fine.

The nice thing is that the water taxi will take you to the hotels dock where porters will help you.
jinswinnipeg: Thanks for the observation. Sounds like taking the water taxi is the way to go -- at least upon arrival. Do you recall seeing how other quests got their luggage from the airport to the water taxi loading dock? Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:23 pm

jinswinnipeg: Thanks for the observation. Sounds like taking the water taxi is the way to go -- at least upon arrival. Do you recall seeing how other quests got their luggage from the airport to the water taxi loading dock? Thanks
It is a fairly short walk, but there is a bus that goes from the front of the airport to the loading area, where you will find the water taxi's as well as the alilaguna to Venice.
PS- how much luggage are you talking about? If it is just a couple of rolling pieces you should have no problem with the alilaguna. The difference is price is e 10 vs e 80-90.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I've read the various postings about how to get from the airport to the E & R via water taxi. Could someone shed some light on how to get one's luggage to the water taxi landing? I read that it is a 10-15 minute walk but nowhere did I read about how to get one's luggage to the water taxi. Are there porters or what? I also read that Starwood had a booth at VCE; can one make arrangements at the booth to transport luggage to the various hotels? Thanks
venice is not the city for large pieces of luggage, especially if it has no wheels. Lots of on and off boats, the 5 min walk from the terminal to the dock for taxis or Alilaguna, lots of uneven surfaces and bridges in Venice itself. You will do well to pack light and use wheeled luggage. That said, the guys who run the taxis and Alilaguna are total pros at helping you and your luggage on/off the boat. I'm sure the occasional suitcase lands in the water though...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by mauld
It is a fairly short walk, but there is a bus that goes from the front of the airport to the loading area, where you will find the water taxi's as well as the alilaguna to Venice.
PS- how much luggage are you talking about? If it is just a couple of rolling pieces you should have no problem with the alilaguna. The difference is price is e 10 vs e 80-90.
mauld: Thanks for the info. That 's exactly what I was trying to find out. Thanks again.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:29 am

mauld: Thanks for the info. That 's exactly what I was trying to find out. Thanks again.
The bus will say "ALIGAUNA" and just about everyone on line will be boarding with luggage etc. There is no charge for this bus and the signs for it are clearly marked as you exit the terminal.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
The bus will say "ALIGAUNA" and just about everyone on line will be boarding with luggage etc. There is no charge for this bus and the signs for it are clearly marked as you exit the terminal.
mauld: Thanks for this additional info. I'm surprised that neither Starwood nor Westin have established a luggage service to go from the air terminal to their hotels and from the hotels to the ships or vice versa. I'd be willing to pay up to 25 Euros per bag to avoid schlepping them around. What does anyone else think about this idea? Of course, if it's already possible, I would echo what Gilda Radner said, "never mind". I mention it because I see no mention of such a service in any of the threads on the subject. Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
When is high season at the Westin Europa? Redemption discrepancies online/Gold Desk

So, I had been eyeing some award nights for our trip to Italy next May and finally decided to go ahead and book 'em. 3 nights at Westin Europa & Regina in Venice, May 4-7, 2008. Called up the SPG Gold Desk because of the whole "smoking only" award room online quirk. However, I was told that high season at the E&R ran May 01 through June 26 and would cost 16,000 points per night.

As I already knew by checking rooms online, SPG.com was quoting me only 12,000 points per night, or the low season rate, for my desired dates. I told the reservation agent this, and she rechecked her chart but came up with the same conclusion. 16,000 points per night. I said, well maybe I'll just book them online since I'm getting the better redemption rate, and she said she was trying to help me avoid any problems upon check-in, meaning they would then dock me an additional 4k per night? Seems ridiculous that the answer I'm getting from the website is wholly different than the human.

BTW, I went ahead and booked both the E&R and Villa Cipriani for my desired dates, "smoking only" and all, and there's no sign of the smoking room preference in my online or email confirmations. Just to be sure, I'll send individual emails to the hotels directly to have them note in my reservation.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
According to the calendar of peak dates on SPG's website, you are correct and the CSR is wrong.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...CategoryCode=5

(To get to this yourself on spg.com, go to My Account >> Redeem Transfer >> Free Nights >> Starpoints Needed by Hotel/Resort Category)
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My experience, over many reservations, is that they honor the original points reservation.

It used to be that they were slow in posting high seasons, so if you acted quickly, it was all low season. Now they're posting further in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:22 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Just as an FYI, the Customer Contact Center associate was correct about the high season date being from May 1 - June 26, 2008 and it looks as if the web site has been updated to reflect that.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.