Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Closing 10/1/18 for renovation.
Print Wikipost

Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Respectfully, in the opposite direction, if it's a .5 mile walk in 85 degrees with a 50 pound bag followed by no organization on the pier and an endless wait without shade then maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself. I take walking tours all over the world in all conditions, and as an airport experience, this was definitely cumbersome.

Respectfully, of course.
The water taxi into town is one of the greatest arrival experiences anywhere in the world. If one is in a modicum of shape and prepared to deal with crowds and heat during peak season, the airport experience should not be a deterrent. Could it be improved upon? I suppose. But it would be a shame if anyone skipped the experience based on your earlier warning. I only did once as the lagoon was frozen, and I still regret missing out. Man up, pay up, and take the taxi.

Best, Jamie
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
The water taxi into town is one of the greatest arrival experiences anywhere in the world. If one is in a modicum of shape and prepared to deal with crowds and heat during peak season, the airport experience should not be a deterrent. Could it be improved upon? I suppose. But it would be a shame if anyone skipped the experience based on your earlier warning. I only did once as the lagoon was frozen, and I still regret missing out. Man up, pay up, and take the taxi.

Best, Jamie
No one said don't take it. I was partly responding to a PM to which you have no knowledge of the contents or context. Furthermore, OP on this topic is departing VCE, not arriving.

I am more than capable of handling high-level fitness and crowds. You can't denigrate someone's experience by assuming someone would be unfit, which in this case is untrue.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It's costs €60 to take a water taxi from railway station at Venice mestre to the Westin dock. Instead, I decided to take the vaporetto which is Venice's equivalent to a bus. After getting off at st. marks square, a porter asked if we needed help with our bags. I initially declined the offer but he persuaded me after stressing there were at least two bridges between the docks and the hotel. Initially he wanted to charge €35 but after saying no he reduced his price to €20. Let me tell you, it was money well spent! He piled the bags onto his trolley and away we went.

It was around a seven minute walk to the hotel which is really hidden away. There's no obvious signposts to find this place so it's very fortunate that porter knew exactly where to go. Upon arriving at the hotel I was met by one of the managers who told me that he had upgraded me to a grand deluxe room. I had actually booked this, but what can you say? The room faced the grand canal and even had its own flag! I saluted it each morning and was half-tempted to unfurl the Union Jack at one point.

The hotel manager took us to our room and explained the property to us. Like most of the buildings in Venice, the place is extremely old and the floorboards creak! The room was just lovely. It was of a decent size but the balcony view over the grand canal was superb.

I was very comfortable there for my entire two night stay. The city was shrouded in fog which gave it a mystical feel (but it was also bloody freezing) so I kept the hot air on in the room throughout my stay.

Breakfast was served downstairs at a stunning restaurant, I say stunning because once again the view over the grand canal Is incredible. I would imagine on a hot spring or summers day there would be no place better. For us, it was damn cold so we sat indoors, but still had a delightful view. The offerings were okay but staff a little surly at times. Nonetheless they were helpful... Just mixed in with a bit of Venetian attitude.

The final point to note is that getting back to the airport is extremely expensive. It was €110 for a water taxi to pick you up from the Westins dock to take you directly. On the night we wanted to return, it was extremely foggy so had to turn back! The guy still had the cheek to charge me €60! We then got a taxi for a further €40 to the airport. It's not a cheap place to get into and out of! For those looking to save a buck or two I would suggest once again finding a porter to help you with the bags... There is actually only one bridge separating you from st. Marks square... (Not several as the porter told me!) and you could easily get the vaporetto and then a taxi to the airport from there. This would be about €50 total.

Finally, I did take a brief look at the Gritti and the Danielli. I only saw the lobby's but they were both stunning places. Lavishly decorated with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. I am sure the rooms would have been equally as stupendous. They're both in decent places but I would dare to suggest the Westin is in the better of the three locations and their cosy bar just off the main lobby's competes favourably with the other two properties.

To sum up: Venice is a very special (and sometimes expensive)place, however no matter where you stay, you won't be disappointed with your choice.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:04 pm

best stay in Venice

Everything was beautiful and the weather was perfect for our 5 night stay. The breakfast buffet on the Grand Canal is a must and Attilio dalla Mura is a great asset to the hotel's hospitality and service. We'll definitely return to Venice- we only wish it was sooner!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:04 am

Hotel was very nice to upgrade us to a premium room, large with a wonderful view of the city, even though without a canal view (I'm gold and booked a mix of deluxe and standard room with points and revenue). They had proceco and cake waiting for my sister for her birthday, a very nice touch. The only problem we had with the room was it was super hot, like an oven, even after we turned off the heat. You can not open the windows yourself and had to get staff to do it. Location is great for attending the carneval. Front desk and concierge staff were very nice though they did missed informing us some benefits. Gold benefit was 250 points or 2 drinks up to 15 euro each. We took the drinks at the bar and the view was fabulous.

Food service/restaurant service were not polished as 5 star should be. We asked for tea kettle since there was no coffe/tea equipment in the room and were not informed that they provided a complementary tea/coffee service once a day and only brought hot water to us (granted they should have informed us at checkin, I happen to find out by reading the hotel info booklet and how many people do that!). Tea was not brought up the second day when we ordered it. It was finally done right the third day, a pot of coffee with a large side hot milk and tea pot with a selection of tea with a large side of cold milk . Restaurant service was not provided with smile (a common problem in Venice. Maybe too many tourists, which still doesn't justify the attitude.) and bill was wrong. Breakfast was extensive with good quality food. Overall I would recommend this place.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
This property always delivers when it comes to Plat benefits!

I just love this property when it comes to Plat benefits, as always!

As a Plat100 AMB guest, i was preupgraded to their 2 bath Deluxe Suite at 6th (top) floor and got complimentary sparkling wine and strawberries to boot! And all for a cheap BRG rate of 145 euros/night for 2 with breakfast.

Everyone here is super nice (as always) and would not hesitate to come here all over again. Plus it is so close to the shopping area with Gucci and Salvatore to your left and LV to your right. Definitely a shopping haven!

PS PS TIP: The ONLY reason why i knew about this was because i was eavesdropping while having dinner at La Cantina Restaurant. Upon check In, ASK for their 20% OFF food and beverage voucher for dinners at Westin Europa. This is on top of the 10% off you get as SPG member (ANY level SPG member). Please do not forget to ask this. As that will make your dinner at hotel 30% off. They werent proactive offering this, so please dont forget
Attached Images      

Last edited by supatight80; Mar 13, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Please do not forget to ask this voucher at check-in

As stated on my post above, only reason why i found out above this coz i was eves dropping. 30% off (voucher + 10% discount SPG Member (any level)
Attached Images  
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:08 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I think this hotel is much better for elites in the off season.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by abk
I think this hotel is much better for elites in the off season.
Well yah...And i dont blame them...i have no illusions getting upgraded during peak season when many folks are willing to pay for the suite itself.

But nevertheless, Mid March early april is already good weather as it is sunny all days (in my last 3 stays) and warm enough not to need a coat during the day.

It is now even a bit too crowded for me so i cant imagine staying here at peak season.

Congrats on your 8.1mm with AA btw!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
The Biennale

Indeed, the hotel was very crowded this past week - as HQ for the Venice Film Festival. The lobby was completely packed with festival goers, as was the bar, the rest, the meeting rooms, even the toilets. The pool looked nice, but I could not imagine staying there! Clooney, in fact, stayed at the Cipriani!http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-date-11091582)

The festival and the Lido were magical, but the hotel looked tired & overwhelmed. I appreciate this perspective is contrary to the posts above. Consider it an alternative perspective.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:25 am

For those of you who are platinum and stayed at this property with a party of more than 3 people, did you get free breakfast for all of you? Or only two people?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:10 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
For those of you who are platinum and stayed at this property with a party of more than 3 people, did you get free breakfast for all of you? Or only two people?
Had two rooms with three people and we all received the free breakfast.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by abk
Had two rooms with three people and we all received the free breakfast.
Thank you for the valuable info! This is great!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What are the best accommodations for families here? Are there rooms that can accommodate cribs or pack and plays? Haven't stayed here in nearly a decade!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Haven't stayed here in nearly a decade!
Been operating there as a hotel under various names since 1868 - don't think the architecture has changed much in that time let alone the miniscule period of a decade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.