Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Columbia, SC, boutique hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Columbia, SC, boutique hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Just a very late addition to this...

This building indeed was a bank. In fact, one of their bars (at street level) is inside the vault!

HTSC

Originally Posted by sc flier
No, I don't think that a bank has been in this building in many years.
http://www.historiccolumbia.org/pres..._palmetto.html
Old May 15, 2010, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
It definitely was home to a bank, but I don't think it has had one in at least the past few decades. I could be wrong. I think that it was built as the home to the Palmetto National Bank. Possibly later the Columbia National Bank?

I mainly just remember it as home to the basement-level Sherlock Holmes Pub.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:20 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Indeed it was definitely a bank and office building before the conversion, hence the interesting room layout and small number of rooms per floor.

I'll post a full review later, as I am here right now, but wanted to update in the meantime that coupons for a free drink and free breakfast are given on the weekends if you are upgraded to the club level floor. I am not sure that you would get the same, even as a Platinum, if you are not upgraded to a club floor (see previous comment).
Old May 16, 2010, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
After a pretty disappointing first stay, I have a second stay coming up here this Saturday and will post a comparative review (with pictures) afterward.
Highly appreciated, Thanks a lot in advance. ^

I assume it is at least completely different in comparison to the Hyatt, if not clearly the better hotel...
Old May 16, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FD1971
I assume it is at least completely different in comparison to the Hyatt, if not clearly the better hotel...
It's at least closer to the State House and everything downtown. There's a Hyatt Place about 20 minutes NW of the city along I-26 in Irmo/Harbison. The closest Hyatts are in Greenville, SC, and Charlotte, NC.

The Marriott is on the same block, and the new Hilton is just under a mile away. Columbia's former Sheraton about 15 minutes from downtown at I-20 and Bush River Rd is now a Radisson; it never got good reviews here on FT even as a Sheraton.

The current Sheraton is definitely completely different from all of these because of its boutique concept and its conversion from a historic office building.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 3:02 pm

Just stayed the Columbia Sheraton last week on a weeknight. The hotel is very charming and has a lot of character. (It reminded me of the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam) - dark wood floors, winding hallways, nice furnishings.

Not sure why the club lounge wasn't open, but they gave us breakfast vouchers for the restaurant in the basement. It was a hot and cold buffet...perfectly acceptable.

When I booked the room they said it would have 2 semi-double beds. Well, I think they were full or queen beds. I found the front desk people and valet to be very helpful. The staff in the restaurant wasn't that interested in the guests. They were more interested in arguing with each other....made for a strange atmosphere.

I would stay there again if ever back in Columbia SC.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just a minor update:

The front desk informed me that Platinums do not get breakfast vouchers anymore, even though the club lounge is still unavailable. It sounds like they used to hand them out to all Plats but it became too expensive for them.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:40 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by izzik
Just a minor update:

The front desk informed me that Platinums do not get breakfast vouchers anymore, even though the club lounge is still unavailable. It sounds like they used to hand them out to all Plats but it became too expensive for them.
I think this is hit or miss here. The first time I stayed here I was told that Platinums do not receive breakfast on the weekends when the club lounge is closed, even though I had been told they do when I had called ahead of time. The manager on duty told the agent to give me one as a one time exception. When I stopped by that evening to talk to the night auditor, he happily offered up a second voucher since I had a friend that was joining me for breakfast the next morning.

After that stay, I spoke with the GM regarding some major issues I had during my time in-house, and he stated that in keeping with Sheraton Brand Standards, his property indeed does not offer Platinums breakfast on the weekend.

However, the second time I stayed here, I was upgraded to a Club Level Suite ahead of time, and had breakfast vouchers already in my key packet when I arrived . So it may be that while this hotel does not technically offer breakfast vouchers on the weekend to Platinums, if you get upgraded to a club floor, you will indeed get them.

Edit: Apologies for never getting around to writing my comparative review. I will definitely try to get that done soon.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
However, the second time I stayed here, I was upgraded to a Club Level Suite ahead of time, and had breakfast vouchers already in my key packet when I arrived . So it may be that while this hotel does not technically offer breakfast vouchers on the weekend to Platinums, if you get upgraded to a club floor, you will indeed get them.
That could very well explain the situation. The Club floor room descriptions all provide "CONT BKFST MON-FRI ONLY."
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Sheraton Columbia: Not great to platinum guests

I have stayed at the Sheraton Columbia over 12 times this year; they are not great to platinum guests. The club lounge is not open and they don’t have plans to do so any time soon. I have never been offered breakfast. My last stay I had to pay for a suite upgrade upon check in. They never post my SPG 500 platinum amenity, I have to e-mail SPG. I also have to ask to get the internet fee taken off of my bill at check out every time. The rooms are really cool and unique but the staff is snooty. I would stay another property but I love my SPG points.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
I stay at this property with frequency as I visit an office here in Columbia for about 1 week per month. As a plat I have been treated with a fair amount of inconsistency (pretty much as others describe above). Sometimes I get instant plat recognition, an upgrade, breakfast, drink, and appetizer vouchers. Sometimes nothing except the suite upgrade. And during the stay I am doing now...nothing at all.

So I wrote a friendly email to the GM just pointing out some of these inconsistencies. I still really like this property in general and want to see it improve. He instantly replied and assured me that my comments would be taken seriously, and to contact him directly when i made my next reservation.

I also noted when reviewing my folio this morning a very substantial discount applied to my stay. ^ Unexpected and appreciated.

I am told that the lounge is opening in September so I'll report back then after my next stay. All in all I like this property and its quirkiness. I hope it continues to improve and succeed.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks

That's great advise, last time I was there 2 weeks ago, no upgrade, front desk said I was lucky to have a room. I will send him a email.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: *Wood Platinum, AA Platium, HH Gold
Been staying at this hotel for two weeks... the club lounge is open and as a platinum i was given access. it has breakfast and hors d'oeuvres but both are pretty weak. breakfast is scambled eggs and bacon (every day) but they dont seem to restock very often - teas and napkins were missing on several occasions. evening happy hour has some little pastries but thats it.

i was also given no upgrades the 2 times i checked in... rooms are small but nice. staff is super friendly. 1 time there were no towels when i checked in to my room.

the hotel is in an ideal location - they have shuttle service if you want to go somewhere a little farther away.

overall the hotel is very nice - the design and staff make it feel like a luxury hotel.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Staying here this week and was informed the lounge is FINALLY open! Breakfast and Snacks at night.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Wow, what a difference from 6 months ago. Back down here for the start of a 4 week stay. I had experienced some issues here around food service and overall comfort on my last few stays. But.... here's a few notes on this property thus far.

There was a handwritten note waiting for me in my room on arrival, front desk staff still just as amazing, kind and personable. Restaurant staff is a BILLION times better. I believe they got a new F&B manager as I haven't seen the woman that was here on previous trips. Staff is so eager to serve and make everything right.

For instance:Ordered room service this evening, guy came up and realized he forgot a side for my meal.He apologized profusely, ran back downstairs to get it and was back within 2 minutes. It wasn't a big deal, it took a few extra minutes. I was busy with work anyways and I didn't start eating for another 15 minutes. About an hour later, there was a knock at the door. It was the same guy, with slice of cheesecake and again apologizing profusely. It was way over the top and appreciated (though not by my diet!)

Lastly, I got a call late this evening asking me how my stay was going and I told them fantastic and to keep up the good work. Not sure what the heck happened at this place, but it's really turned around. Amazing service, the food is fantastic and the hotel is clean, kind of classic and modern at the same time and in a great location. I'll post more as my stay goes on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.