Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The SPG T&Cs do not state that some rates are too cheap for credits or elite benefits. I would hate to see such a restriction imposed, as I understand one chain does, thus leading to discussions ex post regarding whether the rate was too cheap to count. AFAIK extreme promo rates, providing they're published and booked through spg.com, do get SPG point/nights/ stay credits and elite benefits, even when the rates are arguably mistakes.

It's standard in the hospitality industry to not give elite status and benefits on special travel industry rates such as those made available to travel agents. The same is true for employee benefit rates; nonrev travel does not earn status or redeemable miles. Hotel employee/family/friends rates should be treated the same by SPG. Employees receive a different set of employee benefits, including certain travel privileges. Plus, do we really want to get into Sheena accusations when an employee on a STARHot rate is given a suite upgrade over a Plat paying a standard rate?
If you read closer you will find the term "eligible rates"...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you read closer you will find the term "eligible rates"...
True, but for SPG eligible rates include anything booked on spg.com, regardless of how cheap the rate is. It excludes price line, etc.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
It's not because STARHot rates are cheap that they don't earn SPG credits or get benefits. Rather, this is a special non published rate only available for employees/family/friends, similar to nonrev buddy passes on airlines.
StarHOT rates are NOT for friends. StarHOT rates are for Employees and immediate family members.

StarFRND rates are for friends.

These rates are VERY different.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
True, but for SPG eligible rates include anything booked on spg.com, regardless of how cheap the rate is. It excludes price line, etc.
Wellll, actually not true. Just because you book on SPG.com does not guarantee an eligible rate. There are some corporate rates that can be booked online but the negotiated rate precludes stay/point credit. Some conference rates may be negotiated the same.

The point is SPG has provided them an out by using the term eligible and they do not (have to) provide an exhaustive list of what is and is not on the list. If the rate is flagged as not eligible then no credit.

I'm not going to pick nits any longer. I stand by my posts as they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.