Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
We are here for 4 nights with no other option to stay elsewhere. If I had a choice, I would have never stayed here. The hotel is being remodeled and the construction noise is relentless. We are on the 23rd floor (26 total) and I'm in the room all day due to my work schedule. I am wearing headphones while I work and that helps but otherwise, the constant jack hammering is so frustrating and very loud.

Also, getting in and out of the hotel is difficult with all the construction. There are only 2 elevators of 4 that work and the wait can be at least 7-15 minutes. Going from our floor to the lounge or gym takes a while and is annoying.

As for the updated room, it is very nice with usb and power outlets right next to the beds. The beds are very comfortable. The in-room fridge is a plus although the fridge is super cold and ruined some of our food; no way to adjust temperature.

The staff are very helpful and they work under stressful conditions as construction has been ongoing for over 1 year.

There is a makeshift lobby due to the construction and only one place to eat in the hotel that serves breakfast and dinner, only.

I was fully aware of the construction issues when we made our reservations as there is a notice on the website when you book the room.

On the plus side, the hotel is next door to Macys, across from Walgreens, CVS, Target a few blocks away and lots of restaurants.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
The new lobby opening has been further delayed from the original delayed June 1 date. Last I heard was July 15, but who knows any more. They finally completed the 2 new elevators (previously that side only went to the 24th floor - they extended the elevator column both up to 26 and down to the valet / garage area). The 2 elevators that always went to 26 are now out of service and being upgraded. These also need to have the shafts extended down, so it will be a few months. I'm not sure if the freight elevator is back in service to the street or not - they were working on the area near the elevator and stopped using it for awhile.

Generally I stay here b/c the rooms are nicer than the Westin and it is closer to restaurants that stay open past 7pm, etc. There is also a lounge which the Westin doesn't have, and the property participates in Green Choice (which the Westin doesn't do).

However - the noise can be a very real issue, and the elevator situation can be REALLY annoying. A couple of tips if you do need to stay here:

1) Request a room on the side of the building overlooking Hope street. Most of the construction is in the plaza on the other side. They start early. Sometimes as early as 6am
2) If you're on a higher floor, there are 2 stairwells that go up to 26. One by the coke machine and one in the "housekeeping" area. It's a bit of a maze and all the signs say "emergency exit only" etc. etc. but nothing is hooked up. Going from 23 to 26 for the lounge or gym is a lot easier on the stairs than in the elevator.
3) If the elevators are really bad (like when one of the 2 working elevators breaks) try calling from the hallway to see if they are operating the freight elevator. Security can pick you up if they are.
4) Be aware that the "suites" wrap around the elevator columns. On the working side you can hear the elevators going up and down quite clearly. On the non-working side ... just hope they aren't doing construction on the shaft that day. It echoes.

Last edited by azeckel; Jul 8, 2015 at 8:22 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:48 am

Updates:
The lobby on street level opened last week. No more "extra elevator ride" to do Front Desk tasks (on two). Lobby is attractive - light and open as it can be, under the building. Coffee Shop in lobby to open today (?)/soon.
Elevator situation remains the same, with just two operational elevators for 26 floors. Thankfully, they still have elevator operators at peak times to keep things moving.
In terms of rooms, I've been treated very well. Oddly, the suites (all?) seem to be adjacent to elevators. *09 has the head of the bed adjacent to elevator shaft and mechanicals. (When I typed this, I didn't realize that azeckel had already very accurately described.)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: *Wood Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Any recent update / stay in this hotel?
Do they have a shuttle available?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by thecompdude
Any recent update / stay in this hotel?
Do they have a shuttle available?
A shuttle from where? LAX Airport?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:06 pm

It seems like most of the internal construction has finished though there is still street level construction. All 4 "smart" elevators are operational. New lobby is very nice. Front desk acknowledged my SPG Gold status and was given Sheraton Club Lounge access without asking, due to my Amex SPG Business card.. Booked a two night award stay over the weekend for a deluxe king room, was upgraded to a King suite as an SPG Gold. Sheraton Club Lounge was nice with great view of the city,, breakfast served from 6:30 to 10 with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, pastries, etc. I woke up early for breakfast, and was able to bring food down for my girlfriend who was still in bed. The room itself was fine, couch was a bit uncomfortable, beds are amazing definitely one of the more comfortable beds I've stayed in. Also in reference to the **09 rooms, I noticed the elevator sounds from time to time but was not bothersome.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
New Name--Sheraton Grand Los Angeles as of 27 April 2016

becoming the 3rd Sheraton in North America to get the designation. Will be staying there again a couple days after that. My first stay at a newly named Sheraton Grand
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Planning to stay here in June for 5 nights.

Wonder how it's going to be after all the renovations.. and as a plat.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by meraki1990

Lounge access. Maybe a suite "upgrade". Not sure if it still exists after all the upgrades were completed but there was an amazing room on the 3rd floor with a boardroom and adjoining bedroom. Ive seen rooms like this before, but this one had a bonus: the outdoor patio (surrounded by construction fencing from the plaza below) extended the length of the combined room and then some. There was another 8X10 room (behind the bedroom) with a concrete floor fully enclosed on 3 sides but for the sliding glass door opening onto the "private" patio (and completely empty). I would never have noticed but there was a light on. Reminded me of a scene from Dexter... Will post photos if I can find them.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by meraki1990

I stay here 6-8 times a year for business. Hotel construction done, but rest of the block still under renovation.

Rooms are very nice and very modern. Most times I get a Deluxe Room as an upgrade, which is fine for me as I travel solo for business and always arrive 9:00 or so for a 2-3 night stay.

I've been upgraded to or offered the junior suites next to the elevators several times. These are essentially a double room, with a living room area but no walls. While you could hear the hum of the elevator at times, I don't know if that is improved since the smart elevators are fully completed. A couple of times I got upgraded to a true suite (there's only one per floor from what I can tell from the emergency evacuation map on the back of the door, and these may not exist on every floor).

Front desk staff is very friendly and truly nice people. Many have been there for several years, and I give them kudos for keeping their professionalism during the year-long construction, especially when half the elevators were out of service for 6+ months. I've first hand seen people complain about the elevators in very nasty ways, and the staff always handled it well. I am sure the staff is far happier about the new fully automated elevator system than any one guest is!

Club lounge attendant in the morning is also great. He keeps the place well stocked. There are always eggs, along with the typical continental fare. Evening attendant was merely okay in my book the few times I stopped in - there is one hot appetizer plus cheese and vegetables, and also desserts. Cash bar for beer/wine at typical hotel prices.

From time to time I find little welcome gifts in my room. Cookies, nuts, a plate of chocolates, etc. These are nice little touches.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Originally Posted by High Technology
I stay here 6-8 times a year for business. Hotel construction done, but rest of the block still under renovation.

Rooms are very nice and very modern. Most times I get a Deluxe Room as an upgrade, which is fine for me as I travel solo for business and always arrive 9:00 or so for a 2-3 night stay.

I've been upgraded to or offered the junior suites next to the elevators several times. These are essentially a double room, with a living room area but no walls. While you could hear the hum of the elevator at times, I don't know if that is improved since the smart elevators are fully completed. A couple of times I got upgraded to a true suite (there's only one per floor from what I can tell from the emergency evacuation map on the back of the door, and these may not exist on every floor).

Front desk staff is very friendly and truly nice people. Many have been there for several years, and I give them kudos for keeping their professionalism during the year-long construction, especially when half the elevators were out of service for 6+ months. I've first hand seen people complain about the elevators in very nasty ways, and the staff always handled it well. I am sure the staff is far happier about the new fully automated elevator system than any one guest is!

Club lounge attendant in the morning is also great. He keeps the place well stocked. There are always eggs, along with the typical continental fare. Evening attendant was merely okay in my book the few times I stopped in - there is one hot appetizer plus cheese and vegetables, and also desserts. Cash bar for beer/wine at typical hotel prices.

From time to time I find little welcome gifts in my room. Cookies, nuts, a plate of chocolates, etc. These are nice little touches.
I haven't traveled to LA in a few years now. How does this compare to the Bonaventure? I have a weekend stay in June and I'm trying to decide if the extra $10 the Sheraton Grande is charging is worth it for the lounge + the triple play promotion?
Old May 6, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I'm looking at a weekend trip this month and need to decide between the Santa Monica Le Meridien Delfina and the Sheraton Downtown.

Although my wife and I would like to run on the beach &etc., I have doubts about the quality of the Delfina. It gets some pretty mediocre reviews. We are also going to the Opera, which is walking distance from the Sheraton and a significant drive from Santa Monica.

Thoughts?
Old May 6, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canon5dfan
I haven't traveled to LA in a few years now. How does this compare to the Bonaventure? I have a weekend stay in June and I'm trying to decide if the extra $10 the Sheraton Grande is charging is worth it for the lounge + the triple play promotion?
I used to stay at the Bonaventure in 2013-2014, but switched to the Sheraton right as the construction was starting. I don't miss the Bonaventure at all, as I rarely got any more attention or recognition than I would have gotten at a Holiday Inn Express. And those goofy pie-sliced shaped rooms with their cramped bathrooms are now a distant memory.

I really like this property now -- as I said above, the staff is consistently great. From the front desk, to the housekeepers to the security staff, everyone seems genuinely nice here that I have to remind myself that I am in Los Angeles (and I am a native NY'er).

Slightly off topic -- If you are a coffee lover (brewed coffee, not triple mocha latte Frappuccino with extra caramel and whipped cream), walk out of the hotel, make a right and on the next corner (Hope/8th) is Philz Coffee. A large brewed will set you back close to $4, but it's a completely different take on brewed coffee. And the Sushi at Sugarfish is always great -- "trust me" (you'll get the quote when you check out the menu).
Old May 6, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The Sheraton is very nice now. The smart elevators are much quieter so no noise issue any more in the suites. The staff is very friendly. Rooms are much nicer than before. The new Whole Foods Downtown LA is right around the corner as well. Lots of people hanging out there tonight. It is also half the amount of points as the Bonaventure.

The new Metro line from downtown to Santa Monica opens in a couple more weeks. The station is right across the street from the Sheraton.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm looking at a weekend trip this month and need to decide between the Santa Monica Le Meridien Delfina and the Sheraton Downtown.

Although my wife and I would like to run on the beach &etc., I have doubts about the quality of the Delfina. It gets some pretty mediocre reviews. We are also going to the Opera, which is walking distance from the Sheraton and a significant drive from Santa Monica. Thoughts?
Another vote for the Grand, both for the hotel itself and also the location.

If you will be dining before the opera, I'd recommend Otium, which is next to the Broad Museum (on your path from hotel to the Music Center). The executive chef is the former sous chef at the Frennch Laundry).

Assume you're going to Boheme; if so I hope you get one of the performances conducted by "The Dude".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.