Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Flews
No offence, but it's hard to take your complaints too seriously when your criticisms include things like this. Too each their own I guess. We've walked for hundreds of hours through the streets of Rome and loved every minute of it.

Cheers,
+ 1. I can't believe people go to Rome and complain about walking!! I wouldn't want to see Rome in any other way.
We had days when, after spending all day at the Vatican, we walked back to the hotel, including climbing back up the Spanish Steps.

The location of the Excelsior, to me, is about ideal.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I didn't find the poster's comment on the 1.5 miles to be a big part of his beef with the hotel personally...more of a passing comment.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
That was just advice to people who have stated this hotel's location is perfect for seeing everything. I am simply stating that if you plan to walk to Ancient Rome, for example, then you may want to be prepared for the walk. If you want to walk to the Vatican, them you may want to prepare. This is not Manhattan. This is more like San Francisco mixed with Savannah. This is the kind of advice I'd like to read about the location of a property ... as it is rather important to know a little more about these non-property types of things, especially for someone who has never visited Rome.

I took some photos of the other stuff and will post when I can resize the photos.

We have been at the Le Meridien Piccadilly, the Park Hyatt Paris, and the Gritti Palace on this trip and the Westin Excelsior is by far the most disappointing of the bunch. This is a solid property. It is not a Category 6 property and it certainly should not command $500+ per night (we didn't pay that, but that is the going rate right now). So much for personal opinions having any importance on here...
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
You had a bad stay. Let's see if they continue to slide or if they get it corrected.

What did the staff do / say when you brought the towel to their attention? did you speak with anyone as to your general disappointment?

My stays as a plat have always been greeted with upgrades...even when SNA's did not clear.

Did you post on the recently re-opened Gritti as well? I'm curious about that one.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:04 pm

The towel was replaced. Yes to the Gritti post (I'll post photos later). And no to discussing my general disappointment in the property. I'm not a person to confront many things, especially upgrades that are not provided despite availability. I feel like their initial response in that situation is a reflection of what the hotel thinks of me as a customer. It sets a tone. I know, I'm a rare bird in these lands. I will say that I felt very comfortable at the Gritti based on their response in that situation; the Excelsior not so much.

This is considered a 5-star hotel and I'm not sure how many who have stayed here (recently) would even think about suggesting as much... or perhaps the suites are just that much nicer? This is a fully paid stay, as well, so please don't think I'm getting by on points, etc. The common areas of the hotel are great and the collection of luxury black car taxis out front are impressive, but those measures do not make this a hotel that can be compared to other Category 6 hotels in the portfolio. Someone mentioned in the category change thread that it was a joke that the St. Regis was moved to a Category 7... and this just seems to be a similar situation of inflated classification.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:32 pm

As has been stated many times, category levels pertain to rates, not quality.

Cheers,
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
As has been stated many times, category levels pertain to rates, not quality.

Cheers,
Rates should be dictated on a variety of things, not the least of which is quality. This is considered a 5-star hotel, which is based on a plethora of things, such as the quality of the hard and soft product, the quality of service, etc. Simply put, this is not a 5-star hotel. I have seen 3-star hotels presented in a better fashion. We picked this hotel over the St. Regis due to the various positive reviews on this thread. It was one of the few times where FT has not reflected the real world experience (for us ... perhaps not the same experience for you).
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:47 pm

Upgrade on free night cert

I'll be staying for 2 nights in Oct with 2 free night cert as a regular member. My partner is SPG Gold, will the hotel offer Gold amenities if he presents his SPG card when we check in together?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:05 pm

Agree w the comment that the str is cat 7.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jibi
Rates should be dictated on a variety of things, not the least of which is quality...
Rate is dictated by market force in a free economy.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

Good 2 night stay here. Nice upgrade to Grand Luxe suite (although, having the choice, I'd prefer a normal room with a balcony). Staff very friendly and I did not find the place run down. Your 24 went through and late cko on Sunday came handy. Plat breakfast is full buffet and you can enjoy it on the side walk of Via Veneto. Spa/pool area a bit weak.

We took the express to Termini, 15 min walk.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Prosecco on the breakfast buffet is a nice touch.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Any updates from recent stays? I have a 3-night stay at the end of July.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by controller1
Any updates from recent stays? I have a 3-night stay at the end of July.
I also have a stay here starting 1 August. Somebody give us the scoop. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:36 am

I'm here now and I'm glad I am. The hotels in Italy especially always help me realize the benefit of earning, literally working for and obtaining, plat status. Booked an award to a jr suite for wife, five year old daughter and I. Upgraded to something larger....not sure of the room type. Two huge rooms, one a bedroom one a sitting room. Large bathroom with tub and shower on opposing ends. Huge balcony overlooking the embassy with doors leading out from both rooms. Rollaway for my daughter was already set up. A bit after check in we received a bottle of proseco on ice and the man asked my daughter if she wanted some water and then he went to get two large bottles of water for her. A while later we were brought a small gift box containing some pasta, some sort of dipping sauce and a paper chefs hat...not super nice or practical but a very nice touch. Still later after we checked in but before we headed out we were brought some plastic bottles of water.

Headed down for breakfast as soon as the girls get up and get moving.

This is my fourth or fifth stay at this hotel in 10 years all as plat and I've never been disappointed. My best stay was in 2008 when my wife and I traveled with both sets of parents. Our rooms were all upgraded to multi room suites. All were amazing.

The Starwood hotels in Italy have never disappointed me (Rome: Eden, westin, st. Regis; Venice: gritti, danieli: Florence: westin, grand now the st Regis). Hotels in the U.S. Could learn a lot from these folks on how to treat plats and administer the spg program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.