Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:45 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Cabs to Excelsior from FCO and CIA now at fixed rate fares

This was (great) news to me so I just started this dedicated thread on the Italy Board.

Rome's "official" cabs now charge a fixed rate to/from FCO of €40, and to/from CIA at €30. This is to the area within the Aurelian Walls where the Westin (and St. Regis and Eden) are located.

The thread linked above has all info.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
I knew flyertalk would come through. Thanks especially for the links. Looking them over, it looks like the train and subway cost would be about 46 euros for our 6 (2 are under 12). Any idea what a cab for 6 and luggage would run?

If the walk isn't too bad (is it an easy walk with luggage--hopefully not too much luggage?), this sounds good. Any concerns doing this on a Saturday evening? I'm not sure how long it would take after luggage and customs.

I can wait until I get there to figure out how to get from the Westin to Ciampino. But, if there is a preferred method for Ciampino, I'd appreciate insights on that too.

Thanks again!!

SDFLYER
I took a shuttle, actually a large new car, from booth right inside the airport. The cost, written out on a receipt, was 30 euro, door to door. Shared the car with others. I have done this twice and will again the end of this month and next. It was quick and easy and economical.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:40 am

Forgot to mention the best Salade Niscoise that I ever had in my life. Turn right from the hotel and walk a block or two on the boulevard. It is the place with all the pictures of famous people and old movie stars in the glass cases on the outside wall. I have forgotten the name.

O.K., the salade had everything on a huge rectangular plate .... and the carrot and the beans were fresh cooked just before .... it also came with fresh little sandwiches ..... all this with tablecloths and tuxed waiters ...... the price 10 euro

This was at lunch, sitting outside, alfresco, watching all the Italians parading by showing off the fashion .... dinners were much, much, much more
Old Oct 9, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat
We stayed there in March '07. We were upgraded to a beautiful 2 room suite. For part of our trip we stayed in a boutique hotel 1 block from Piazza Navona. While the hotel is beautiful, I find the via veneto area overpriced in general. We had the best meals in Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori area which are all a bit far from Via Veneto area.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat
We stayed there in March '07. We were upgraded to a beautiful 2 room suite. For part of our trip we stayed in a boutique hotel 1 block from Piazza Navona. While the hotel is beautiful, I find the via veneto area overpriced in general. We had the best meals in Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori area which are all a bit far from Via Veneto area.

We also stayed at the Westin Excelsior in Florence. Absolutely gorgeous. I loved that hotel!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:13 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by capitolflyer
... It is the place with all the pictures of famous people and old movie stars in the glass cases on the outside wall. I have forgotten the name....
Harry's Bar?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:38 am
Suspended

still trying to decide between the Meridien and the Excelsior for an upcoming trip. any other thoughts would be appreciated. platinum here.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Suspended

switched from the eden to the excelsior for an upcoming trip for several reasons including:

1) better chance at a platinum upgrade
2) better gym/pool
3) the incredible views from the eden are limited to the restaurant.

but, again, any thoughts comparing and contrasting these hotels would be appreciated.

thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:25 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i am having the same debate for an upcoming 2 night stay. i tend to prefer smaller hotels so am going with the eden. the dollar difference didn't hurt as i was able to book with cash and points for $150 as apposed to 261 euro for the eden and 300 euro for the westin. look at the cash and points option for the eden which i was able to book on line.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:25 am
Suspended

i stayed there recently for three nights and was underwhelmed given the property's cost (either in terms of points or rate) and star level. i was originally given a room on floor #1 (which is actually one floor up from ground level) but overlooking the taxi stand. non-starter.

the second room i was given was smaller but did have a small terrace with table and two chairs. the room was on the top floor (floor #6). unfortunately these older properties don't have the ability to offer air conditioner and heating to different rooms at the same time. so, when A/C is shut off for the season, it's heat or bust (despite what the control on the wall says). apparently, the week before i was in rome it was unusually cold. accordingly, the property was switched over to heat. when i arrived, it was warm. so, my room was an oven and sleeping was difficult. after the first night, the front desk suggested i sleep with the terrace doors open. unfortunately, there are things called: 1) the sun and 2) street traffic noise which makes this option less than ideal (particularly in a five star hotel). after a second brutal night's sleep, i was moved to a suite on a lower floor that was darker and cooler.

having said that, i found the staff to be pretty helpful and pleasant and the location was unbeatable.. the concierge was just okay as he gave us poor directions in one instance and didn't know where to find an internet cafe. i later learned that there really aren't internet "cafes" in rome...they are called internet "points." if you use that terminology, you might fare better.

the pool and gym were nice.

i will write more later....
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
My wife and I stayed both there and at the excelsior Florence over thxgiving. The Excelsior florence had confirmed an upgrade for me ahead of time (got that much anticipated error message when checking my reservation details). As for the Rome one, they had not confirmed an upgrade. When we got to the hotel around 10am to check in I asked for an upgrade, and the lady said that one would be available around 4pm, but its 2 a 2 bed suite. This was a little surprising as I thought most suites were kings. Anyway, I told her we were going sightseeing and slipped her a 20EUR note, and told her I'd appreciate any help in getting us a good suite.

Came back at 4pm and we had a very nice king suite, 2 bedrooms, waiting for us. The room was on the second floor (3 floors up) and was on the corner of the hotel. According to the floor plan it was by far the biggest suite on the floor, but I imagine there are nicer rooms higher up. The suite had very high ceilings and true antique furniture. The living room of the suite was bigger than the bedroom, and had what looked like a brand new band and olufsen LCD.

While we didn't stay much in the hotel (would've been a sin to when you're in rome), I did have the following observations:

- The hotel staff is very pleasant, offering their services before you need it. This was true from the bell stand to the front desk and concierge

- The concierge at the hotel, especially Paola, are an extremely under-promoted part of this hotel. We were specific with regard to what we wanted, and were rewarded for it. The restaurants, events, and sights were all spot-on what we wanted, and we could tell that there was some special treatment going on at those places at the hotel's request.

- The taxis are plentiful in the area, but without exception all started their meters at some point while waiting on line, and didn't reset it when they approached the front. I thought that this is something the bell stand folks are aware of but let slide. Anyway, make sure to ask for the meter reset.

- Getting around from the hotel to places aorund rome can usually be done on foot. Most tourist sites are within a 15 minute walk (Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, pantheon, and everything in between). You can also walk to the vatican across the river. For the ruins area (colleseo and forum) you'll need to take a cab or subway.

-Subway. Coming back to the hotel we couldn't get a taxi, so we took the subway. We were a little apprehensive in the beginning but soon realized that we had nothing to worry about. Just be cautious with your things (no different than my daily commute in new york city). From the area of the colleseo its an easy ride on one like (I think it was the orange line) to the main train station, then switch to the blue line to get to the hotel. All in the ride was about 10 minutes. The area where you get off, barberini square, is only 5 minutes walk from the hotel (one street).

- Food around the hotel. There are 2 restaurants in particular that I would recommend within close walking distance (less than 5 minutes) of the hotel:

>> Rest. Giovanni - Small place, a little on the fancy side in set-up, but not enough to make you uncomfortable. The food was the freshest we had. Clearly they shop every morning for their foods.

>> Rest. San marco - More modern, younger, hang-out. You won't see many tourists at this one. Tons of chic italian couples. The benefit of this place is that its open late (we were there midnight) and has great food. Service is unpretentious and helpful to english speakers.

Hope this info helps people visiting rome and the excelsior hotel.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:28 pm
cwc

Our stay 12/26-28 paid 330EU for 1st nts & SPG point 2nd.

I am gold, never get an upgraded, and I think we got the smallest room on the floor (270) according to the fire escape map.

I really like the one button light control by the door and the flat panel TV (Philip). Yes, the aircond don’t work during winter, so we just open the window for 30 minutes and the room became an icebox. One good thing is the hotel does provide humidifier for free; just ask the housing keeping to deliver one. Our room was in OK shape, except the carpet between the room to the bathroom was torn and my husband almost cut his feet on a piece of exposed wood. Good thing they provide slipper.

DO NOT EAT AT DONEY, it is overpriced and the food was very underwhelming. My veal shank was burnt and I sent it back to the kitchen. They just scissor off the burned piece and remove the burnt onion, when they return the plate to me the meat was still sitting on the burnt piece of toast it first came on.

The doorman saved our life finding my lost purse. When I asked the concierge where they kept lost and found items, they just look confused and anger at me. The doorman came to my rescue again and directed me to the business center in the baseman and retrieve it.

At the end, a very nice hotel and excellent location, but I do not think it is worth 550$US per night.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Stayed at the Westin Excelsior Rome for 5 nights in July was upgraded to a Grand Luxe 2 Room Suite with out ever asking for anything was just tired when I got there. The room was awesome, great view and then a knock at the door. Hotel sent up a welcome platter a great bottle of Champagne, 2 litre bottles of water, fresh fruit, crackers and cheese just fabulous! Loved the hotel

Never stayed at the Eden but you will not be disappointed in the Westin!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1k
Children at the Rome Excelsior?

This is a quick question for those who travel with children to Europe and have run into the fact that the hotels hate us bringing more than one child with us. Four people in a room can not be booked on line or over the phone. I have found that just showing up with the second child in tow is the best bet. Sometimes they grumble about it and sometimes they dont care. In Asia they could not care less (except the Ritz in Osaka--who charged me an extra 80$ for the extra child).

So my question is regarding the Westin Excelsior in Rome. We will be passing through Rom for a night and are bringing two children (ages 11 and 6). Now we have reserved a room wih two double beds and they are expecting one child--not two.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel with children? How was your experience?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by globe_spinner
This is a quick question for those who travel with children to Europe and have run into the fact that the hotels hate us bringing more than one child with us. Four people in a room can not be booked on line or over the phone. I have found that just showing up with the second child in tow is the best bet. Sometimes they grumble about it and sometimes they dont care. In Asia they could not care less (except the Ritz in Osaka--who charged me an extra 80$ for the extra child).

So my question is regarding the Westin Excelsior in Rome. We will be passing through Rom for a night and are bringing two children (ages 11 and 6). Now we have reserved a room wih two double beds and they are expecting one child--not two.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel with children? How was your experience?
They will charge you if you use anything but the existing bedding. And, they will assume that you will use the existing bedding. In fact, they sent me an e-mail well before our stay to tell me that anything over 2 in a room would require an extra charge (can't remember how much, but it was close to $100).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.