Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE June 30 2011: 4 Points Roma/Rome West, Italy (now Nicklaus) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE June 30 2011: 4 Points Roma/Rome West, Italy (now Nicklaus) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
As Jills says above, the meal at the bistro a short walk away was one of the best in the 3 weeks that we spent in Italy. I seem to recall that the bistro is across the street from a gas station. It's well worth the short 5 minute walk! ^
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Four Points Rome

Havent found too much info on this propoerty via the search other than a few folks who said it was the best Four Points preoperty they stayed at.....For 3000 SPG points/night, this is a huge bargain for me, traveling solo just looking to experience Rome on my own in a few weeks. is this a no brainer?

I have about 46K SPG pts and could do 6 nights for 18k and then maybe splurge a night in florence or naples....(side trip)

Thoughts? Any advice?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 3, 2009 at 2:24 pm Reason: Moved into master thread for future reference
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know anything about this property, but you can't do six nights for 18K unless you go for three consecutive Fri/Sat nights. Category 2 properties cost 4K/night Sun-Thurs and 3K/night Fri-Sat.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Can I hitch hike on this thread...

Greetings:

I also plan to stay here, ( in April) a paid stay, would appreciate any info......my main concern or need to know is getting to "center" of Rome from hotel and also getting to and from the airport (FCO) without breaking the bank...this is a MR.and mattress run.

I am Plat.......Thanks for any enlightment...............
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AC*E, AA, Mar*S, SW*P, HTZ #1G, AVS Pref
stayed here 1.5 years ago. its fine. middle of nowhere in "new rome" about 20-25 mins by the shuttle bus from the old city. nothing special.

in terms of making it to/from there to/from the airport - the only easy way is a taxi, unfortunately because its in the middle of nowhere. BUT if you have the time, the hotel has a free shuttle bus, that stops in the old city and at 2 subway stops. if you contact the hotel (or go on the website maybe?) you can find out the schedule of the stops and meet the shuttle bus at one of those stops. the subway does go out to FCO (or at least there is a train) so you can take that to the airport.

getting to/from city: there is a shuttle bus. its the same arrangement really as the sheraton roma (although the roma is nicer and has a lounge - the 4 pts has no lounge).
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Wait just a moment - I finished a stay at this hotel today in fact. I booked just last week at the last minute, and was dinged for 7000 points per night - a horrible deal, I know, but I just didn't want to spend the cash. Now it's down to 3k points? When did that happen? My stay was from 2/28 - 3/3 for three nights. Do you think I could get credit back for two of the nights if the new award schedule went into effect on 3/1?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpauker
Wait just a moment - I finished a stay at this hotel today in fact. I booked just last week at the last minute, and was dinged for 7000 points per night - a horrible deal, I know, but I just didn't want to spend the cash. Now it's down to 3k points? When did that happen? My stay was from 2/28 - 3/3 for three nights. Do you think I could get credit back for two of the nights if the new award schedule went into effect on 3/1?
The new categories went into effect on March 2. You might be able to get 3K points back for the night of March 2 (the rate is 4K Sun-Thurs nights), but I do not know (it would be a goodwill gesture on the part of Starwood).

How was the property?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:38 am

There used to be a EUR 5 (originally free) shuttle to the airport from this hotel. Is that no longer available?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:25 pm

It certainly isn't the best 4 Points in the system (my nomination for that award goes to the 4Points Kuwait City), its just ok, not terrible and not outstanding. It is quite far from the city, they have a free shuttle service to the city every few hours. The shuttle drops you off near the Vittorio Emanuelle monument (aka the wedding cake). I used a taxi to/from the airport at quite a high expense. The breakfast buffet is ok, the rooms are ok. For 3K points a night it isn't bad but I love to be downtown when in Roma....
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I stayed there this past weekend (as stated earlier). I was upgraded to a Junior Suite - basically a living room with fold-out sofa and a separate bedroom. Service was good. Breakfast buffet was okay - 13 Euros... wasn't free, even as a Platinum. I still haven't figured out what hotels give free breakfast and which do not.

Shuttle to and from the metro/downtown was very convenient, though the schedules weren't always very convenient. I paid 7k points/night for 3 nights. It definetly wasn't worth that much, but I was in a cash crunch and didn't want to part with the my money. For 3k, though, I'd totally recommend it.

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way, though, was when I tried to redeem a coupon they gave me for a free drink at Danny's Bar in the lobby. Evidently, this "free drink" at the "bar" was for a non-alcoholic drink only. I confronted the bartender about where on the coupon it stated that, and he couldn't show me. He insisted, though, that it was for a non-alcoholic drink only. Perhaps in Italian, the phrase "free drink at a bar" translates to a free soda. To me, it means booze. He tried to charge me 8 Euros for my white Russian, at which point I apologized for the misunderstanding about what "free drink" means and decided to walk away. He ended up giving me the drink. Oh well...
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by bpauker

Shuttle to and from the metro/downtown was very convenient, though the schedules weren't always very convenient. .
Can you elaborate on what the schedule was? What Metro stops to they go to?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
It seems that I could get best rate guarantee approved for a stay at this hotel. I plan visit Rome in November with my parents and I would appreciate any updates on this property....... especially on the shuttle serive and Platinum benefits.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:24 am

I advised some friends to book this hotel with their points based on my experience a few years ago (and also because their point balance was low and they wouldn't have been able to stay at any other SPG property closer to the centre of Rome). They booked a few nights but cancelled their stay after the first day, complaining that the shuttle was always full and they would have had to book it a day ahead... They're not the savvyest of travelers, so YMMV, but you might want to enquire directly with the hotel as to the schedule and seating availability of the shuttle (when I was there, they had big buses, but, according to my friends, they now have a small van). IIRC, it's also possible to take a city bus for a short ride to the nearest subway station, but the hotel might provide more updated info about this too. Taxis to the centre can be, as I'm sure you know, a bit of a scam.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:43 pm

Does anyone have any more updated information on the shuttles between the 4-points and FCO, (also to and from the city center)?

Since we'll be arriving here in the afternoon, by rental car, to be ready for a morning departure from FCO, would it make sense to keep the car overnight at the hotel, and then just drive ourselves to the airport in the morning?

Grazie a tutti. . .
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:57 am

To answer a part of my own question, I called the hotel about a shuttle to FCO. They don't provide any shuttle, to or from the airport, and recommended a taxi at a cost of around €50.

There is a large underground garage, free to guests. My plan is to keep the rental car overnight at the hotel, and return it the next morning pre-departure.

I did not get the current schedule for shuttle service into and back from downtown Rome. If anyone has a link to the schedule, it might add value to this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.