Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton San Jose [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:45 pm

I recently stayed at this hotel. They have a club lounge that serves continental breakfast and afternoon snacks with free alcohol.

If you are staying in the area, I recommend Sheraton Sunnyvale. They have a club lounge with premium alcohol. They also have a much better restaurant called "Faz".
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:22 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Beds are better at SJ than Sunnyvale. Dining options are better off either properties.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I stayed at the Sheraton San Jose in June. Above par service, upgrade to club floor and breakfast coupons (stayed on the weekend) for the restaurant, which was average.

Did get some pictures of my room on the Club Floor.

Pictures can be found here:
http://slippahs.smugmug.com/gallery/838826 (password: flyertalk)
(I ask that these photos not be reproduced in any way shape or form)

Overall a good one night stay. Allowed to check-in at 1 p.m. and requested late check-out but didn't use it. A light was out in my room, which I mentioned at check-out and they offered *points per the promise, which I refused to take, since it was a mesely lamp. Staff was very professional.

Upon checking in on a Friday, there was one plat, two golds and four preferred pluses at the hotel. (You can tell since they display the key cards for elites on the side next to the check-in counter).

Enjoy!

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
Mama,

The Sheraton SJ is a great place to stay. They are very good to plats. Unfortunately, the lounge is closed on the weekends.

IMHO, The Sheraton Sunnyvale doesn't come close to this property.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Question is the pool heated?

Is the pool @ Sheraton SJ heated?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
The pool is heated on weekends by the children.

If you're plat, ask for a 02, 03, 04 room.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hedoman
The pool is heated on weekends by the children.

If you're plat, ask for a 02, 03, 04 room.
What are those room like? Are they the ones with balconies?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The Sheraton San Jose (Milpitas) can be a great hotel for mattress runs.

Recently, there were rates as low as $55.20/night + 10% tax for Friday and Saturday nights. (This was part of the 20% off Sheraton promo which ended on September 23. However, keep a lookout for other weekend deals at this and other SF Bay Area hotels. Also, for some odd reason, the $55.20 rate was NOT prepaid and WAS cancellable, unlike the normal terms of the 20% off promo.)

And I don't know of any other Bay Area Starwood that currently offers cheapie weekend rates AND free breakfast on weekends to Plats. ^ The buffet breakfast isn't bad. (As always, though, I avoid the steam table scrambled eggs. )

Also, as a Plat on weekend stays I have always gotten a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard/pool area. Not all rooms have balconies; the rooms on the executive floors (8 and 9), as well as the one-bedroom suites, DO have balconies.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:35 am

Can anyone confirm whether Gold Elites receive breakfast coupons on weekend stays at the Sheraton San Jose/Milpitas?
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:41 am

Wink Sheraton Sunnyvale is great because of the staff

Originally Posted by onefreetraveler
Mama,

The Sheraton SJ is a great place to stay. They are very good to plats. Unfortunately, the lounge is closed on the weekends.

IMHO, The Sheraton Sunnyvale doesn't come close to this property.
I've stayed at both properties and always prefer the Sheraton Sunnyvale. The front desk is always so courtious and even the housekeepers make a point to say "hi" when I pass by. The few times I've had an issue, they always responded right away and gave me points. The Sheraton San Jose didn't always respond like they cared and more often then not didn't give me the points - which is part of their Service Promise. BTY - I heard that the Service Promise has gone away.

I can get a nice room and bed anywhere, but friendly service is a little more difficult to come by.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Travel Mama
I've stayed at both properties and always prefer the Sheraton Sunnyvale. The front desk is always so courtious and even the housekeepers make a point to say "hi" when I pass by. The few times I've had an issue, they always responded right away and gave me points. The Sheraton San Jose didn't always respond like they cared and more often then not didn't give me the points - which is part of their Service Promise. BTY - I heard that the Service Promise has gone away.

I can get a nice room and bed anywhere, but friendly service is a little more difficult to come by.
But the Sheraton SJ can often be had a bit cheaper than the Sheraton Sunnyvale; the Sheraton SJ gives balcony rooms and/or suites to Platinums (when available); the Sheraton SJ gives free breakfast buffet on weekends to Platinums (because the lounge is closed), but there is NO lounge or free breakfast (AFAIK) at the Sheraton Sunnyvale.

In other words, if you're a Platinum, and especially if you're looking for a weekend mattress run hotel, generally the Sheraton SJ outshines the Sheraton Sunnyvale!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, IC AMB, AXP
I stayed there back in Oct and wasn't too impressed. The service was friendly and professional but the facilities were rather old. I booked a suite and the first one they gave had the 'mountain-view', which really meant that it faced the highway and was too noisy. I switched to a pool-view suite and it was more serene (faced the greenery/garden and pool). However, just like the first suite, the carpet was coming apart at the walls, ceiling was dirty, and the bathroom barely acceptable. It's an okay place to crash for a night and nothing more than an average 3-star hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I rather liked the hotel, though there wasn't anything special about it.

Pictures of my room from the San Jose Sheraton can be found here (please do not reproduce):
http://slippahs.smugmug.com/gallery/838826 (password: flyertalk)

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other recent threads on this hotel (found via a search on "San Jose" on "titles only"):

Which SPG property is best near San Jose, CA?

Sheraton San Jose in Milpitas

Sheraton San Jose vs. W Newark: Parking, Location, Etc

Sheraton San Jose

Bottom line, it's a good "mattress run" hotel on weekends (cheap rates).

And no, you normally don't get points, or stay or nights credit towards status, on Priceline/Hotwire stays; except (as mentioned above) points for certain incidentals, if you give your Starwood number.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:38 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I haven't stayed at the Sheraton Sunnyvale (yet), so I can only speak for the Milpitas location:

Apparently, the "suite"/club room options and breakfast buffet coupons are also available to Golds as well, when available at the hotel.

Just spent an extended weekend at the San Jose Sheraton. Free shuttle to/from SJC. As a Gold, was upgraded a two-room suite with a balcony overlooking the waterfall. It was really nice to just chill out on the balcony with the waterfalls, lagoon & palm trees right there. During the day, it wasn't that crowded and was a nice area to just relax by the pool in. It did kind of have a little "resort" atmosphere. The cool thing about the second floor suite I was on was that it was a few feet from a stairwell (fire escape, I guess) that goes right to a door by the waterfall, onto the pool area. So, basically, you've got your own "private" little stairway to the pool, and can come/go without going thru the hotel. Nice. And, with all the palm trees around the lagoon, you can keep the window curtains open without losing your privacy, and enjoy the view of the lagoon.

The front desk said I could have my choice of a Club Level room or a suite (second/third floor). They originally opted to put me in a suite, which I kept, saying it was much bigger than a club room floor and the club lounge was closed on the weekend. They did give me daily coupons for their all-you-can-eat hot breakfast buffet in the restaurant each morning, as well as a couple of 20% off coupons for dinner. Plenty of choices on the breakfast buffett table. The hotel is really close to I-880, making it really easy to get around SJC or up into the Bay Area, or down to Santa Cruz. But, as others have posted, you DON't want a room on the freeway side 'cuz of the noise. I also was given Club Lounge access on the weekedays I was there---the breakfast actually wasn't as HUGE as the buffet in the restuarant, but really nice 'tho. It's served in the elevator lobby, and you eat in the "club room" (like most, a converted hotel room with a lot of tables & a tv).

All that for $69/night.

Last edited by skye1; Jul 29, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.