Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Cool

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Thanks for the responses----can some clarify for me which platinum benefits are offered at this property?
None, really. The "villa" properties don't offer Plat benefits, ie no breakfast, no late check-out. And, since they're considered all-suite properties, no upgrades.

The reason: the owners program (ie timeshare) trumps SPG here. Views, room categories, etc are all owned by individuals. And a different loyalty program (Starwood Vacation Ownership Elite) determines things like late check-out benefits.

Even without Plat benefits, the villa properties are all fantastic experiences. (Kierland in Scottsdale is my personal favorite)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
They offer breakfast vouchers for Plats here, at least they did in January. This is of course one of the options as a welcome amenity, you could also choose 500 points, but that would be a huge waste.

This is really the only benefit they offer. On occasion upgrades have been reported, but this is very rare. The reason for this is the the resort is always 90% or more occupied, often closer to 99% for weeks on end.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Thanks for the responses----can some clarify for me which platinum benefits are offered at this property?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I regret that due to time constraints, I am no longer able to offer owner-referrals to fellow FlyerTalk members.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:11 am

Just got an offer from Westin Vacations / AA Advantage:
- 5 nights @Westin Maui Kaanapali + 6 days Avis car + 5,000 AA miles

I can't go until one month after the offer expires. They would not accommodate my schedule by extending the offer. They said I may get similar future offers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:13 am

Just got a $798 offer from Westin Vacations / AA Advantage:
- 5 nights @Westin Maui Kaanapali Resort & Spa+ 6 days Avis car + 5,000 AA miles

I can't go until one month after the offer expires. They would not accommodate my schedule by extending the offer. They said I may get similar future offers.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:50 pm

Thank you Controller1 !!!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
We just returned from a five night vacation there. I booked a studio villa with Starpoints, which was upgraded to a one bedroom ocean view villa in building 7 in the north complex.

No green choice, or late checkout, as others have noted.

For food in the villa -- go to the Costco for the best prices, as the Safeway about 5 miles was very pricey. Gas for the rental car as $2.60/gal at Costco; other stations were $3.30 and up.

The timeshare division just started pushing the units in new construction just north of the current building. ~$56k to buy, $3k/year maintenance for a 2 bedroom oceanview yearly week. We declined and took the 6000 Starpoints.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:04 pm

Last minute trip to Maui, Oct 25-30th, and wondering if anyone might be able to pass along a referral.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by taupes
Last minute trip to Maui, Oct 25-30th, and wondering if anyone might be able to pass along a referral.
Hate to burst your bubble but the Starwood Vacation Ownership referral program requires at least an eight-week lead time. It takes that long after the referral before an invitation is issued.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
We're looking for a 2 bedroom, 5-7 night (May 2016) villa near here and wondering if a referral might be an option. Actually the whole family will end up needing a total of 3 - 2 bedroom condo/villas in the area but for right now, just looking to lock down one of them unless there's a financial reason to package them all.

We usually stay at the Sheraton but we're dragging a young adult w us - therefore the reason behind the 2 bedroom option.

Anyone willing to help out or got an idea?

Thanks all
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
AFAIK the referral packages get you a studio only.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Hate to burst your bubble but the Starwood Vacation Ownership referral program requires at least an eight-week lead time. It takes that long after the referral before an invitation is issued.
Ah, yeah figured it was a long shot. Thanks anyways!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Fizzer
AFAIK the referral packages get you a studio only.
Please help me understand something ... do the referrals get you a room at a lower rate than normal? Why the benefit of getting a referral?

Finally, do you have to own there to generate the referral? I.e. My parents own at several other locations (Westin St John etc).
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Please help me understand something ... do the referrals get you a room at a lower rate than normal? Why the benefit of getting a referral?

Finally, do you have to own there to generate the referral? I.e. My parents own at several other locations (Westin St John etc).
At this property, a referral gets you a one-bedroom studio villa for $798 for a five-night stay including a $75 resort credit and a Avis rental car credit (IIRC $150-$185). That average nightly rate is much better than one can get on a normal booking.

Yes, a referral for a specific property must be generated by an owner of that specific property. Your parents would only be able to provide a referral for the Westin St. John and your parents' other ownership properties. The rates/terms for those referrals may differ from those of a referral for the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by controller1
At this property, a referral gets you a one-bedroom studio villa for $798 for a five-night stay including a $75 resort credit and a Avis rental car credit (IIRC $150-$185). That average nightly rate is much better than one can get on a normal booking.
And keep in mind that the rooms available for these promotions are very 'capacity controlled' . . . in my experience, there's typically very limited date availability. You'll need to be flexible.

When I've booked them in the past, it's been a looong phone call (yes, phone call -- no online booking for these deals) with the Starwood Vacations folks where they run through a list of possible arrival dates and I frantically try to check flight options online while talking with them.

If you can be flexible with your dates, and if you're able to plan a trip far in advance, these SVN promos can be fantastic deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.