Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:14 pm

I'm trying to nail down a strategy to get my family of 4 (including 4 1/2 year old twins) or 6 (also including inlaws) to Hawaii once/year. I have been reading for a couple of weeks now and trying to determine a credit card bonus & spending strategy. I may not be posting in the right place, so please let me know if there is a better spot!

A bit of background. We just got back from the Big Island staying at a 2BR at King's Land. No complaints, great trip! We used the remainder of United miles and stayed on a Hilton timeshare promotion. My husband flies American for work and we live in Dallas, so Maui is a better option for us. A condo with a full kitchen is a must given the kids. Also a wonderful pool is great, though not a must. View is also important given the amount of time we need to be in the room with two young kids. Even given the timeshare promo, the hotel stay was still quite expensive. I've been trying to figure out if there is a points strategy that would allow us to redeem points at a timeshare property to defer some of those costs. With in-laws we need a 2BR.

I had narrowed it down to WKORV (and the SPG Amex as one component of the strategy); I know there is a Marriott and a Hyatt in the works, though I'm not clear on the completion date. Also Hilton is developing a property in Kihei, but I hope to get back before that!

This brings me to my question...given the points required for a 2BR at this property i'm not sure it is a feasible goal. From what I understand a 2BR for non-owners is two 1BR's combined for triple the points. This is a category 7 and requires at least 30K points/night, so is a 2BR really 90k? With no view to speak of, which I have heard is the case for non-owners. Hopefully, I have mis-read.

If this is the case, I'm thinking a better strategy would be to focus on cash-back and use VRBO or try for another promotion. Unless there is a property with better value points redemption (Marriott? Hyatt?) for timeshare properties. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice on a strategy!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by curlycue
This brings me to my question...given the points required for a 2BR at this property i'm not sure it is a feasible goal. From what I understand a 2BR for non-owners is two 1BR's combined for triple the points. This is a category 7 and requires at least 30K points/night, so is a 2BR really 90k? With no view to speak of, which I have heard is the case for non-owners. Hopefully, I have mis-read.

If this is the case, I'm thinking a better strategy would be to focus on cash-back and use VRBO or try for another promotion. Unless there is a property with better value points redemption (Marriott? Hyatt?) for timeshare properties. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice on a strategy!
They basically have a paired larger/smaller units (suites & studios, something like that), so a 2 BR is the 30K smaller room paired with the larger room. Every room has its paired room, so they all can be configured as 1 or 2 BR. (Owners and non-owners alike).

The owners buy the "view" (ocean or parking lot), and they are guaranteed their view when they book. I would think the odds of getting a set of paired rooms with ocean views as a non-owner is small.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by opus17
They basically have a paired larger/smaller units (suites & studios, something like that), so a 2 BR is the 30K smaller room paired with the larger room. Every room has its paired room, so they all can be configured as 1 or 2 BR. (Owners and non-owners alike).

The owners buy the "view" (ocean or parking lot), and they are guaranteed their view when they book. I would think the odds of getting a set of paired rooms with ocean views as a non-owner is small.
A slight simplification, but reasonably close.

Most units are paired as ("lock-offs") consisting of a smaller studio unit (goes for 30K/nt, a kitchenette, all one room with no dining room) and a larger 1BR unit (goes for 60K/nt, a full kitchen with a dining room, and a separate bedroom). You go in to a shared foyer and each unit has its own door from there)

There are a few standalone 1BR units with direct doors to the hallways.

Owners have a unit size (regular or larger deluxe corner unit) and a view (island, ocean or ocean front). If you book between 12 and 8 mos in advance, you will only get your unit and view. If you book less than 8 mos in advance, you could get any unit or view, based on some prioritized formula taking in to consider who booked first, how many units you own at the property, how many units you own at other properties, and I'm sure other things.

If you don't book as an owner (which includes renting from an owner), you either booked it by the night using cash or points (which guarantees the unit and view), or you traded in through some other mechanism (which puts you at the bottom of the priority list)

As you can see, there are only a few scenarios that would guarantee the view -- paying 90K+/nt is one of those that would do that...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
. . .

You go in to a shared foyer and each unit has its own door from there)

. . .

Owners have a unit size (regular or larger deluxe corner unit) . . .
And a further clarification is that the above statements pertain only to The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and not to The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
So, the Mrs n I are off to the Villas in 2 weeks. This will be our 3rd stay at this place in the past 2 years, as it's become our favorite!

First stay we were not prepared for the 4 PM check-in so we had to kill time creatively and on the fly! It was about 4:30 before we're were in our villa and we crashed almost immediately. Traveling from SFO via non-stop to OGG, we get there close to 11 AM!

Second time, we planned much better, sorta. Arrived at the the Villas around 3:30 and again it was close to 4:30 before we had our Villa. This time we were able to change and snorkel right away since we had energy this time.

So, for this 3rd trip, is there a "changing room" of some sort where we're able to change into more comfortable clothes/swimming/pool attire? Leaving chilly SFO at the crack of dawn is not conducive to dressing in Hawaii clothes (yet) and they keep that AC blasting on the (HA) airplane too!

Thanks for any tips/suggestions as to where we can slightly unpack, perhaps, and camp it at the pools and beach accordingly.

Thanks.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
So, the Mrs n I are off to the Villas in 2 weeks. This will be our 3rd stay at this place in the past 2 years, as it's become our favorite!

First stay we were not prepared for the 4 PM check-in so we had to kill time creatively and on the fly! It was about 4:30 before we're were in our villa and we crashed almost immediately. Traveling from SFO via non-stop to OGG, we get there close to 11 AM!

Second time, we planned much better, sorta. Arrived at the the Villas around 3:30 and again it was close to 4:30 before we had our Villa. This time we were able to change and snorkel right away since we had energy this time.

So, for this 3rd trip, is there a "changing room" of some sort where we're able to change into more comfortable clothes/swimming/pool attire? Leaving chilly SFO at the crack of dawn is not conducive to dressing in Hawaii clothes (yet) and they keep that AC blasting on the (HA) airplane too!

Thanks for any tips/suggestions as to where we can slightly unpack, perhaps, and camp it at the pools and beach accordingly.

Thanks.
I was there last month, we showed up at about 2:30. I was offered a chance to go into some sort of changing room so I could change into my comfortable clothes. I turned it down, I didn't have the heart to tell her I was already in my most comfortable clothes.

So there is some sort of place to change, in theory.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:43 pm

I was there last month, we showed up at about 2:30. I was offered a chance to go into some sort of changing room so I could change into my comfortable clothes. I turned it down, I didn't have the heart to tell her I was already in my most comfortable clothes.

So there is some sort of place to change, in theory.
There is a lounge in the south side of the complex near the beach, almost next to that lounge are men's and women's locker rooms you can change in.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:07 am

Thanks for the confirmation and clarification! Sounds like its not the right place for us given the amount of miles required.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
A slight simplification, but reasonably close.

Most units are paired as ("lock-offs") consisting of a smaller studio unit (goes for 30K/nt, a kitchenette, all one room with no dining room) and a larger 1BR unit (goes for 60K/nt, a full kitchen with a dining room, and a separate bedroom). You go in to a shared foyer and each unit has its own door from there)

There are a few standalone 1BR units with direct doors to the hallways.

Owners have a unit size (regular or larger deluxe corner unit) and a view (island, ocean or ocean front). If you book between 12 and 8 mos in advance, you will only get your unit and view. If you book less than 8 mos in advance, you could get any unit or view, based on some prioritized formula taking in to consider who booked first, how many units you own at the property, how many units you own at other properties, and I'm sure other things.

If you don't book as an owner (which includes renting from an owner), you either booked it by the night using cash or points (which guarantees the unit and view), or you traded in through some other mechanism (which puts you at the bottom of the priority list)

As you can see, there are only a few scenarios that would guarantee the view -- paying 90K+/nt is one of those that would do that...
Thanks for this detailed explanation, I appreciate it!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by kar120c
There is a lounge in the south side of the complex near the beach, almost next to that lounge are men's and women's locker rooms you can change in.
Thanks! Will be even more prepared this time. This will for sure help kill time while monitoring that notification device they give you or just making sure the ringer is on in case they call earlier than 4 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:22 pm

Avis car with $798 5 night stay

I recently booked this offer after receiving an invite (thanks controller1). The offer is in my name, but my spouse usually does the driving when we rent a car. If I make the reservation for the car with his name, will we have trouble getting the credit? Last name is the same. Has anyone had this experience? Additional driver seems to be $13/day, so I'd rather not go that route. Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mplflyer
I recently booked this offer after receiving an invite (thanks controller1). The offer is in my name, but my spouse usually does the driving when we rent a car. If I make the reservation for the car with his name, will we have trouble getting the credit? Last name is the same. Has anyone had this experience? Additional driver seems to be $13/day, so I'd rather not go that route. Thanks.
Make the car reservation in your name. Your spouse will still be able to drive without incurring the $13/day fee.

From the Avis master rental agreement (emphasis added):

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission and are exempt from Additional Driver fees:

Renter's employer (while on company business);
Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
Renter's spouse or life partner.
Disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Make the car reservation in your name. Your spouse will still be able to drive without incurring the $13/day fee.

From the Avis master rental agreement (emphasis added):

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission and are exempt from Additional Driver fees:

Renter's employer (while on company business);
Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
Renter's spouse or life partner.
Disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form
Thank you.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:05 am

So! Just noticed that the Villas has gone from being sold out during my stay next week to offering the same villas type I booked 2 weeks ago at approx $50 per night less than what I've prepaid! Hmmmm. People canceling after getting swamped in with snow back East?

Crazy!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Starwood
Does anyone have a referral lying around? I'm trying to book my first trip to Maui on 3/2 - 3/7 for a wedding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.