Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Tysons (Virginia) Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Tysons (Virginia) Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Arrow Sheraton Tysons (Virginia) Hotel [Master Thread]

Just returned from a stay at this property, and I've finally found a hotel that ranks even lower than the Sheraton Biscayne Bay. The Sheraton Premiere at Tyson's Corner is a dump with mediocre service, and should be avoided.

It started when we pulled into the driveway, and couldn't find a bellman anywhere to help us with our bags.

We checked in, and were sent off to the first room. Which turned out to be a king room. Which would be fine, except that we booked a double room. I was offered my Platinum 500-point amenity, but no mention was made of the club level, the club lounge, or breakfast vouchers (as we were staying on a weekend, when I believe the club lounge is closed).

Back to the front desk to correct the room, we were sent to a double room on the second floor. The front desk acted as if they were doing us a huge favour by accomodating us in the room we had booked originally. The second floor was filthy and looked like it was undergoing renovation. The carpets were worn and covered in dust and debris. Our room had been given only the most cursory cleaning, and when I discovered someone else's "skid marks" in the toilet, we walked out.

Back to the front desk, we were accomodated in a third room (and finally managed to find a bellman to grudgingly help us with our luggage). Our third room was the best so far, with damage limited to about a dozen holes in the carpet.

In the end, I complained to the duty manager about the appalling state of the hotel. He offered to move me (yet again) but I declined, deciding that an hour wasted was enough. 2500 points and $20 off my room bill was the final result under the Sheraton Promise, but that isn't nearly enough to ever get me to consider staying at this property again. Management clearly isn't interested in running this property properly, and it shows. Give this one a wide berth.
Old May 4, 2004, 5:55 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
IMHO, this property is not as bad as you make it out to be. It sounds like what was really bad was a couple staff members and the 2nd floor.
Old May 4, 2004, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've stayed there. I would not call it a "dump" by any means. It's not the St. Regis but it's not that bad either. I was given a nice oversized room with a king. No skid marks, no carpet holes, no issues at all. We had a pleasant stay all the way around. This is, IMO, a mid-level property (at best) in a soul-less big-city suburb. Btw, what rate did you have? This is often a sub-$100 hotel on a regular basis.
Old May 4, 2004, 6:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I've stayed here a number of times and would never characterize it as a dump. In fact, of all the Sheraton (not Westin or St. Regis) properties in the metro-DC area, this one is probably the nicest. Sorry to hear you got a bad room. Service, however, is another story. I would agree that the service here is second rate at best and Platinum recognition is poor. When I was a Platinum member, the best one could hope for was a club level room. Never received a suite and had to ask on more than one occasion for the Platinum amenity.
Old May 4, 2004, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I stayed there on a Saturday night last August on a $59 rate and was assigned a top floor junior suite and given continental breakfast vouchers for use in the restaurant the next morning. To be fair, I did have to solicit these vouchers but there wasn’t much of a struggle.

On the following night, my girlfriend had booked a $79 rate and was assigned a huge lower floor suite, also with a bit of cajoling. The club lounge is closed on weekends but re-opens on Sunday evening and we were able to avail ourselves of some excellent munchies. The next morning, the breakfast fare in the lounge was above par – including some excellent smoked salmon.
Old May 4, 2004, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I guess I just had very bad luck. The first room actually looked okay, aside from being the wrong configuration. The second room was just scuzzy. It was off the extension on the back of the hotel, in what looked like an unrenovated section of the hotel. It was noticably shabbier than either of the other rooms, and the entire corridor was very poorly kept indeed.

The third room wasn't terrible, but finding holes in the carpet after my experience in the first two rooms was just the icing on the cake. Three strikes, I'm afraid this hotel gets a no-go in my book.

I was on a $109 rate for a Saturday night, so was expecting a decent room. The situation was exacerbated by the fact that I'd just arrived from the W New Orleans (another Category 3 property) and the difference in the standard of the two properties was glaring.

I was also disappointed that the front desk kept trying to give me a 'club king' as a 'suite upgrade'. Are their genuine suites (e.g. two rooms) at this hotel? What's the configuration of a junior suite?
Old May 4, 2004, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Not like it used to be

I used to stay here often.. weeks at a time before moving to VA. It was nice in the early to mid 90s.. but it started to go down hill fast in appearance and service. Enough of a decline that I moved my business elsewhere (Hyatt) and never really looked back as far as SPG was concerned in the Tyson's, Reston Corridor. I went to see someone staying there last fall and could only shake my head as to what is was to what it is today. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone at anything but the 59 dollar weekend rate..I surely would not recommend this property at the outrageous weekday prices that this place charges. At 59 bucks, you get what you pay for.. at 159 you get taken to the cleaners
Old May 4, 2004, 11:03 am
Suspended

The lowest I ever got it was for $49 when US Airways had an agreement with Starwoods 3 years ago to email advertise and hyperlink specifically with SPG. That was good. Also got it for $59 last year. Both times, I though the big King room on the high floor was excellent even as a Starwoods green.

Then I found the DT Tysons with my HHonors GLD and also had a great stay. If the DT had rooms like Sheraton Tysons and Sheraton Tysons had the *huge* amount of benefits DT gave me, then it would be an ideal hotel. So where's the 2 mile skywalk bridge linking the two?
Old May 7, 2004, 2:30 am

This hotel is mediocre at best. I hesitate to say it, because its already such a busy hotel, but the Sheraton Reston Center is incredible. It is also recently remodeled and has the sweet sleeper beds! It's a smaller hotel, but the service is incredible. They also know where their bread is buttered and go out of their way to serve platinum guests.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
I'm headed to Sheraton tysons corner this week for the first time. Seeing all these comments about room rates makes me wonder why the best rate I could get either on SPG.com or orbitz, etc. was $229! This is for a Wednesday night this week. I'll report back on the conditions (unless the Sheraton Reston is so superior to consider changing). I won't be in the room much, so I'm sure I can take it for one night.

I'm headed from there to the Westin Grand in D.C. I hope that is a better bet!
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I stayed there earlier this month and had a great stay. I had a beautiful suite on a high floor with a great view. All of the staff that I had contact with were extremely pleasant. In fact the person at check-in was very welcoming to me as a Platinum.

At this point I am planning on going back this week, although I might consider the Reston if I hear more positive feedback.

My only problem with Tyson's Corner is that it is far from the Metro ($12 Taxi ride), although there is limited shuttle service. It is also a bit of a distance from the mall ($6 taxi), also with limited shuttle service.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Bump. Any recent stays at this hotel?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Scott218

I have stayed here for 45 nights over the last 4 months. It is far from the greatest Starwood property but it is near my Tysons office and I wanted SPG Platinum status. Some of the rooms are a bit run down and smell from what I think is people smoking on non smoking floors. My advice is to ask for a room on one of the upper floors (I have had luck on those above 12). The bell staff are very helpful and attentive. On the 2 occasions where I have envoked the Starwood promise the front desk has been generous with points. Upgrades are not common but as the rooms are mostly the same it does not really matter.

The hotel is filled with groups and conventions often so they tend to sell out a lot. The only time I have had an issue was in May and June when they hosted a lot of 8th grade classes on their field trips to Washington DC, it could get loud at times.

The one other complaint I have is the food is below average. I have only eaten there about 3 times in my 45 stays.

They do seem to be improving the level of service and I have lasted as long as I have. But I would say it is more because I enjoy my time at other Wood properties and this has been a great way to earn points and status.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, MR SLVR, HH GLD, etc.
Originally Posted by Scott218
I was at the premiere last night, as a matter of fact. First time there, but the room was decent. I was given a deluxe room, I believe - but it was in no way run down. Sure I’ve stayed in better, and I have definitely stayed in much worse. My floor was quiet throughout the night and I checked out the club room this morning. I don’t think that the food was that great, but there’s not much you can do wrong with yogurt and pastries. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by MileKing
I've stayed here a number of times and would never characterize it as a dump. In fact, of all the Sheraton (not Westin or St. Regis) properties in the metro-DC area, this one is probably the nicest. Sorry to hear you got a bad room. Service, however, is another story. I would agree that the service here is second rate at best and Platinum recognition is poor. When I was a Platinum member, the best one could hope for was a club level room. Never received a suite and had to ask on more than one occasion for the Platinum amenity.
I agree, characterizing the Sheraton Premier as a dump may be a bit harsh, but perhaps understandable given some of the problems the original poster had. But, to say it's one of the nicest, I'm not sure I agree. The Sheraton Reston Town Center is by far one of the nicest Sheratons I've stayed in ever. Not only are the rooms great, but the service is fantastic. I chatted with one of the managers at one of the cocktail parties they have at the hotel for guests and learned that they are aggressively targeting platinums and frequent business travelers. Judging by the occupancy level when I was there, they are doing a great job of it. Only downside, with so many platinums in one place, upgrades may be hard to come by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.