Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

We are not rabid. Are we? [Marriott CEO describing SPG elites]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are not rabid. Are we? [Marriott CEO describing SPG elites]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
I think he accidently leaked the name of new top tier in the program...
Can you think of what the other tiers' names would be?

The SPG program is definitely a lot more fun. I am a Lifetime Platinum with Marriott and Lifetime Gold with SPG. Point-wise, SPG is really not as good anymore after recent devaluations. However, the promos are more fun, the benefits are more interesting and the social media team is a lot better! No wonder we are rabid
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Or perhaps it is an event? Was he at some point forced to recognize that a strong loyalty program such as SPG can indeed foster "rabid" brand loyalty, which is golden in his business? Will this impact (perhaps positively) how the program merger is approached?

I, for one, am encouraged by such a remark.
That was my take as well. And he did acknowledge that he should have known earlier. I would assume that as they continue with the integration, they'll be segmenting the SPG membership base and figuring out where the profit lies. While there may be a global program devaluation (from a points perspective) it should be feasible to counteract that with appropriate earning for the right tier(s) of members that drive profit.

And, I think a lot of folks who had to interact with me after the merger was announced would have wished that I was merely rabid
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Fervent might have been a better word choice.

Even as a long-time SPG guy, I'll point out that if passion for the SPG program doesn't translate to higher profits Sorenson has little reason to care. The SPG employees have had ample calendar time to make their argument to Marriott execs.
...and that's a key question, and one that I'm sure Marriott has been looking at since the merger. If SPG guests are more profitable than their 'loyalty-level equivalent' Marriott counterparts, I'm sure it'll give Marriott reasons to pause. That would be pretty fascinating data to play around with.

Entirely agree, though, that if its not resulting in anything, they make take some of the SPG social media/branding strengths and move them over, but changes to the program will concern them less.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Rabid = has rabies, so he doesn't want us to bite him.

Maybe the new names for frequent sleeper tiers are going to be based on diseases: leprosy, syphilis, elephantitis, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Stay Rabid My Friends...

Name:  thirsty.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  40.2 KB
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Fervent might have been a better word choice.

Even as a long-time SPG guy, I'll point out that if passion for the SPG program doesn't translate to higher profits Sorenson has little reason to care. The SPG employees have had ample calendar time to make their argument to Marriott execs.
Yes, that's a much better word. ^^ But maybe he means that we are so fervent and smart, it ends up costing SPG money? Maybe he wants loyal and dumb?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I am sure he meant to say "Rabid SPG Fanboys" but he restrained himself.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I'm fine with rabid. I'm fine with whatever he calls us as long as he respects our business and what we contribute to his bottom line.

I have to say that my experiences so far as an MR Plat have been quite positive. Status recognition was automatic and benefits were extended without me, as a customer, having to ask.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If people here are not rabid, I am not sure what what other group would be considered ... Marriott as been fair so far as well in my stays/ in program benefits overall. I hope they'll do right thing but the surprise is too bad - how did Marriott not know how loyal and rabid its elites are?

Perhaps because it is harder to be plat Starwood than Marriott. The more I delve into Marriott program the more I realize how easy it is to hit plat.

The only downside I have run into when staying at Marriott properties is lack of free breakfasts in resorts (key for me). I truly hope they don't get rid of that for Starwood props and instead add that benefit across the board.

Was trying to book a stay today at JW 'Marriott Phuket. They said no to free breakfast so I booked a Starwood property elsewhere. If they get rid of that benefit I'll just stay at Aman or Shangri La from now on
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SHLTP

Perhaps because it is harder to be plat Starwood than Marriott. The more I delve into Marriott program the more I realize how easy it is to hit plat.
It takes 50 nights to be MAR Gold & 75 nights to be MAR Platinum (and no, the $800/to be Plat is not the norm).

FWIW - If I were Arne I would have used passionate vs. rabid.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It takes ten full years to hit SPG LTP. Marriott can be done in a couple of years.

As for regular plat, Aside from nights actually stayed in a hotel, I have been surprised at other ways of getting nights... credit card spend or for arranging business meetings (gets ten nights). Plus there are far more Marriott related properties (and cheaper ones) around the world than the relatively limited footprint of Starwood. Rollover nights.

So yes it is easier to get plat for Marriott and definitely easier for lifetime. Obviously some Marriott plats do spend a lot too, and my observations are not meant to put them down in anyway, but I think you'll see the loyalty of SPG members gererally are more rabid that Marriott ones.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kind of like some not liking FT using Evangelist, but the use comes from silicon valley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Kawasaki

He popularized the word evangelist in marketing the Macintosh and the concepts of evangelism marketing and technology evangelism.[3][4]
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It takes 50 nights to be MAR Gold & 75 nights to be MAR Platinum (and no, the $800/to be Plat is not the norm).
It may not be the "norm," but it's available - and plenty seem to take advantage, no? And yes, CC spend and rollover can make MR Plat a lot more attainable that it may seem at first blush. Having said that, I think the SPG AmEx is good for five nights of credit, putting SPG Plat at just 45 nights.

It takes ten full years to hit SPG LTP. Marriott can be done in a couple of years.
Technically, I suppose, but it's pretty difficult to rack up 2M points (the other requirement for MR LTP in addition to 750 nights) in short order. I haven't done it in many years of MR Plat membership, and almost certainly will not prior to merger of the programs.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by azepine00
I think he accidently leaked the name of new top tier in the program...
Perhaps borrowing from Southwest: Marriott's Rabid Rewards
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

As for regular plat, Aside from nights actually stayed in a hotel, I have been surprised at other ways of getting nights... credit card spend or for arranging business meetings (gets ten nights). Plus there are far more Marriott related properties (and cheaper ones) around the world than the relatively limited footprint of Starwood. Rollover nights.

So yes it is easier to get plat for Marriott and definitely easier for lifetime. Obviously some Marriott plats do spend a lot too, and my observations are not meant to put them down in anyway, but I think you'll see the loyalty of SPG members gererally are more rabid that Marriott ones.
If someone is pulling off 750 nights/2Million points in 2 years

FWIW - Marriott used to have a 12-year requirement in addition to the 750/2Mill. I've always wondered if SPG had a year requirement when they started their program because MAR did w/ theirs. MAR dropped year requirement a few years ago.

I'm wondering under the new program (especially if they combine nights/points between the 2 programs) if it will be back to years/lot of nights/lot of points. I'm current LTP, but if they up the levels (and don't grandfather) because of merging nights/stays then I could potentially drop a level because my overall SPG nights are a lot less than my MAR nights. Same happened w/ the UA/CO merger w/ me. I'd never flown CO so when they counted both didn't really help me any. Guess we'll find out next year.

Re: the meetings trick. I think that's literally so miniscule & even on FT doesn't have a gazillion FTers doing it, especially since they have to search for properties that have cheap rates & participate. The credit card spend (1 night for every $3K of hotel spend) could help - if one has a Chase Visa or even 15 nights towards status. If someone is required to use a corporate credit card that's out the window. There are more Marriott brands than SPG brands, but it still requires one's BIB (butt in bed) for a lot of the nights.

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
It may not be the "norm," but it's available - and plenty seem to take advantage, no? And yes, CC spend and rollover can make MR Plat a lot more attainable that it may seem at first blush. Having said that, I think the SPG AmEx is good for five nights of credit, putting SPG Plat at just 45 nights.

Technically, I suppose, but it's pretty difficult to rack up 2M points (the other requirement for MR LTP in addition to 750 nights) in short order. I haven't done it in many years of MR Plat membership, and almost certainly will not prior to merger of the programs.
See my 2nd paragraph above re: my thoughts on how many really take advantage of the mtgs trick. Had forgotten about roll-over, but that's extra after you've already obtained the Gold/Plat status.

So yeah, Marriott does have some additional ways to get to Plat but I'd question whether it's easy to do so. Still, doesn't hurt.

FWIW - When I responded above to SHLTP I was really thinking more along the lines of SPG elite status you can get w/ stays or nights, whereas w/ Marriott it's just nights. SPG Gold: 10 stays or 25 nights & Basic SPG Plat at 25 stays or 50 nights, which is less than MAR.

Probably because just like w/ UA million mile status where I flew 1mil miles BIS (butt in seat), I got my LTP status the old-fashioned way - BIB w/ no rollovers, credit card elite nights, or fake mtgs so I was thinking linearly.

Anyway, you've both clarified/answered my confusion on his comment so thanks for that!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.