Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG properties where ALL guest floors above 30m/100 feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Please list any property which have ALL their guest floors above 10 stories. Very few SPG Properties have ALL their guest rooms on story 11 and above, which doesn't give the guest an option to stay at a floor accessible to a ladder truck in the unlikely instance of a fire.

Thus to keep this simple and realize that those properties that have some 10 and lower give the guest an option to stay at a floor located in this rescuable range shouldn't be included. Again we aren't stigmatizing any property that is listed, this is simply a data point of interest for us to consider by personal preference.

*Please find the correct region and list the country and the property under that country

AFRICA
none yet referenced

ASIA PACIFIC
Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo - start at 31st floor
St. Regis Mumbai - start at 12th floor
Sheraton Seoul D Cube
W Taipei
Westin Nanjing
LRM Shanghai
Westin Singapore
W Hong Kong

CARIBBEAN
none yet referenced

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA
none yet referenced

EUROPE
none yet referenced

MIDDLE EAST
none yet referenced

NORTH AMERICA
Canada
xxxx

United States
Texas
Dallas - Westin Dallas Downtown
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

In light of the most recent tragedy in London it gives awareness once again to the dangers (albeit small) inherent in tall buildings, principally those above 30m/100 feet. This height is generally the highest a fire department's ladder truck can reach, thus anything higher carries more risk.

I wanted to at least provide a resource for those of us who want to maintain loyalty, but perhaps balance this risk with selecting between hotels.

Thus let us maintain a wiki with this information.

Please list any SPG property (by country) which have ALL guest floors above 10 stories basically. So if all are guest floors from 11 or higher it should be listed.

Again as remote as these situations maybe, fire service and standards vary based on the country, thus why not make this information available.

Last edited by schley; Jun 17, 2017 at 2:38 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Your list would be a whole lot shorter if you listed properties no higher then 10-floors.

Originally Posted by schley
In light of the most recent tragedy in London it gives awareness once again to the dangers (albeit small) inherent in tall buildings, principally those above 30m/100 feet. This height is generally the highest a fire department's ladder truck can reach, thus anything higher carries more risk.

I wanted to at least provide a resource for those of us who want to maintain loyalty, but perhaps balance this risk with selecting between hotels.

Thus let us maintain a wiki with this information.

Please list any SPG property (by country) which have ALL guest floors above 10 stories basically. So if all are guest floors from 11 or higher it should be listed.

Again as remote as these situations maybe, fire service and standards vary based on the country, thus why not make this information available.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's all much less relevant if the building has sprinklers.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
FWIW

Originally Posted by schley
In light of the most recent tragedy in London it gives awareness once again to the dangers (albeit small) inherent in tall buildings, principally those above 30m/100 feet.
Citing the London tragedy, the focus and risk is on buildings with specific external cladding systems, and lack of sprinklers, rather than height.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question this "list" adds nothing to hotel safety

I agree that hotel safety is a concern. But creating a list with less than 10 floors adds zippo to my safety? Also, why SPG??
What about questioning the instructions given to residents to stay in their units? That has happened to me # times during a fire alarm.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Citing the London tragedy, the focus and risk is on buildings with specific external cladding systems, and lack of sprinklers, rather than height.
Would you expect anything else? They aren't going to restrict maximum height to 30 meters?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

short list, and many people like being on lower floors for many reasons

re regs, los angeles and other earthquake cities stopped doing helipads
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It's all much less relevant if the building has sprinklers.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I agree that hotel safety is a concern. But creating a list with less than 10 floors adds zippo to my safety? Also, why SPG??
What about questioning the instructions given to residents to stay in their units? That has happened to me # times during a fire alarm.
I agree with the above.

How is this thread really going to be beneficial to the SPG forum? Considering Country, state/territory, laws and in the US you would need to add county and city laws.

What about natural disasters like ATL which severely damaged the Westin Peachtree. In Miami where building need to be hurricane proof. Southern California buildings are built for earth quakes. In big cities like NYC, Chicago, Paris, Rio, Vegas, London Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai almost every building - not just SPG properties - is a high rise. Since 9/11 most buildings are built with lighting, sprinkler, evacuation and security measures in mind. The issue is if all those systems are working, not the height of the building.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't measured ceiling heights, but here are some examples where rooms start on high floors:

W Hong Kong

Westin Singapore

LRM Shanghai

I suspect that a lot of the examples will be big city properties where the lower floors of the building are not part of the hotel, but there could be places with multiple floors of function space about the ground floor, such as Westin Peachtree in downtown Atlanta (already mentioned in this thread).

I can think of more Hyatt examples than Starwood.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I agree with the majority of the above, the information this thread is trying to gather seems far to limited. For instance being on 15th floor of a hotel with sprinklers in quite possibly far safer than the 9th floor of one without.

Do all fire departments in all places where hotels are higher than 10 floors have trucks that can reach the 10th floor?

Being on 15th floor when you have multiple fire escapes is probably far safer than a hotel with one central fire escape!

You could almost argue the content of this thread could create a greater danger as to those who just glance it could gain a false sense of security by choosing a hotel on the wiki which is based on the number of floors a hotel has and nothing more about the safety systems in place which are the true measure in my mind!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thread is very simple - where are all floors above 10th floor - that is short list
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I hope people hiding on low floors from a fire don't get caught up in a tsunami or flood.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Especially in USA suburbs, building codes traditionally forbid building higher than the reach of the local fire company's ladder trucks, but this standard is changing due to new construction techniques such as fire stairs. Still, it can be amusing to notice a bunch of buildings around the same height, and then you cross a local boundary to another township or whatever and the buildings are a couple stories higher or lower.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thread is very simple - where are all floors above 10th floor - that is short list
At the very beginning I was also wondering how "short" the list would be... But then after some thinking time found that if we limit it to SPG (excluding even Marriot) then the list might not be as long as I originally thought... Probably because elite members always have higher floor rooms thus we have an illusion of a possibly long list...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I haven't measured ceiling heights, but here are some examples where rooms start on high floors:

W Hong Kong

Westin Singapore

LRM Shanghai

I suspect that a lot of the examples will be big city properties where the lower floors of the building are not part of the hotel, but there could be places with multiple floors of function space about the ground floor, such as Westin Peachtree in downtown Atlanta (already mentioned in this thread).

I can think of more Hyatt examples than Starwood.
Westin Nanjing also...

I forgot if Westin Qingdao has room below 10th floor or not...

W Hong Kong probably is the highest among SPG portfolio... But if including MR properties the Ritz Hong Kong right next to W Hong Kong will win (lobby on the 101th floor, room are even higher...)
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Yes, I've stayed in both and the RC dwarfs the W. In fact, the W looks different since the W was constructed. I've had some suites in the W HK that weren't terribly high, but I can't remember the exact floors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.