Search

3rd Party booking - rebook somehow?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
3rd Party booking - rebook somehow?

Hi All,

I had an odd question. I'm in need of some night credits for the status challenge that is out there right now. I need about 9 nights for platinum. On an up coming business trip a 3rd part did an Expedia (prepaid) booking for 2 rooms each for 5 days. I called the hotel and had my SPG number added but I know that because it was booked 3rd party that I will get no night credits (or SPG points or Stay credits, neither of which I care about in this case). This W hotel appears willing to honor my gold status.

Is there any way to call SPG or the Hotel and book more expensive rooms and have the value of the pre-paid rooms applied to it so that I can get the night credits? (i.e. if the expedia prepay was $200 / night, and SPG offers the room for $220 could I rebook the room and pay the difference?).

Thanks all for any and all advise

svirf
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:11 pm

contacting the hotel is the right way to go... not SPG... but they pay expedia so it might not be the full $200
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:43 pm

While it may sound "easy", properties might have their hands tied depending on what type of contracts they have with Expedia. Agree that only chance is to call property. Might be advisable that if agreed, this is to be captured in written copies e.g. email.

But the more I think about this, the more I shudder as this has a potential to be a huge administrative mess.
- Existing contract with Expedia by you and property
- How to bill you the extras by the property that triggers an official stay in the SPG system while not terminating the Expedia reservation in the system and at the same time settling the fees due to Expedia for booking you with property in the first place.
- Your own company's policy and claim process.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

It's a bit complicated and won't happen the way you explained about how using the funds already paid being applied. You will need to cancel the original reservation with Expedia and make a new booking.

1. Call the hotel and let them know you intend to make a separate booking at the higher rate and that you will be calling Expedia to request cancellation and see if the hotel will allow Expedia to cancel. You may need to make the booking with whomever you are speaking with to show you intentions are true.

2. Call Expedia to cancel, they will say they need to contact the hotel to see what the hotel will do. You have to be a bit lucky that the hotel has good notes on your reservation so whomever Expedia speaks to will know to allow for the cancellation. Then Expedia will refund your money minus a small amount of admin fee, I think it's $30.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
So a quick update...

I called the property and spoke to the In house reservation department. The person was very helpful. He was adamant that (despite being a prepaid Expedia booking) I would receive night credits but no SPG points (which I am totally OK with). I'm a little skeptical of this but he seemed really sure.

He also said he would talk to the GM and try to cancel / re-book the Expedia booking so that I could get points (Similar to what babypuwet laid out above).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
So if the 3rd party made and paid for the original booking on Expedia, and you somehow manage to cancel the Expedia reservation, doesn't the refund go on the original 3rd party's credit card? Are you going to ask them for the money? Seems kind of awkward to me.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by margarita girl
So if the 3rd party made and paid for the original booking on Expedia, and you somehow manage to cancel the Expedia reservation, doesn't the refund go on the original 3rd party's credit card? Are you going to ask them for the money? Seems kind of awkward to me.
I suppose they could just refund Expedia and then charge him again at check-out so it's effectively not a pre-paid rate... and that Expedia would have to refund him when the hotel cancels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.