Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$350 in taxes on an award stay??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Thumbs down $350 in taxes on an award stay??

I just made a free nights booking at the LM Bora Bora using points. The platinum concierge said there would be about $350 in city taxes that I would have to pay (There was also about $160 in boat transfers, which is annoying but not the main point). Has anybody else had experience with this? I thought taxes were supposed to be included in award night stays?

Tangentially, does anybody know if the property takes you back to the mainland as many times as you want as part of the boat transfer fee, or do they charge for each ride?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:31 pm
rev

I came to this forum to post a similar thing that just happened, except mine was P+C.

Paid 5k+$75 a night for two nights at ITC Maurya. Got the bill and was charged $278.90 in fees and taxes in addition to the $150 I paid for the P+C cash portion, so 10,000+$428.90 for two nights. Going rate is normally about $170/nt on the nights of the week I stayed, I believe.

I feel like Starpoints just cost me money instead of saving any...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey
I thought taxes were supposed to be included in award night stays?
I think for the most part they are, but there are certain locations where a property is required to collect/turn it over to the city. I've seen some threads in the last couple of years where that's happened, or started on a certain date when prior to that there wasn't any collection.

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think for the most part they are, but there are certain locations where a property is required to collect/turn it over to the city.
That's true in India, certainly. The exception has been discussed by Lurker.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In my experience, % taxes are generally included in an award, while flat-rate taxes/fees are not.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rev
I came to this forum to post a similar thing that just happened, except mine was P+C.

Paid 5k+$75 a night for two nights at ITC Maurya. Got the bill and was charged $278.90 in fees and taxes in addition to the $150 I paid for the P+C cash portion, so 10,000+$428.90 for two nights. Going rate is normally about $170/nt on the nights of the week I stayed, I believe.

I feel like Starpoints just cost me money instead of saving any...
did you get an upgrade by any chance????if you did then the hotel is supposed to charge 15% luxury tax on the rack rate for that upgraded room....even if you didn't get an upgrade, the property would have still charged you the 15% on the rack rate for the room you stayed in....this is a stupid tax imposed by the government & is not the fault of the property....
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
not all over india....there are certain states that have imposed the 15% on rack rate luxury tax on hotel stays....

Last edited by Keyser; Apr 10, 2017 at 2:03 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....Tangentially, does anybody know if the property takes you back to the mainland as many times as you want as part of the boat transfer fee, or do they charge for each ride?
Boat transfer is for each trip. No free rides.

Bora Bora is not a budget travel destination.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by Keyser
not all over india....there are certain sates that have imposed the 15% on rack rate luxury tax on hotel stays....
+1. And keep in mind taxes are on rack rate. And if you get upgraded to a suite, the taxes are rather high. Its been a while since I did an award stay in Delhi, but asked for a downgrade from a suite for a 1-night stay to avoid egregious taxes.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

did you get an upgrade by any chance????if you did then the hotel is supposed to charge 15% luxury tax on the rack rate for that upgraded room....even if you didn't get an upgrade, the property would have still charged you the 15% on the rack rate for the room you stayed in....this is a stupid tax imposed by the government & is not the fault of the property....
I haven't stayed at the property yet. This was just the quote for the plat reservations agent. In what jurisdictions is this supposed to happen?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't stayed at the property yet. This was just the quote for the plat reservations agent. In what jurisdictions is this supposed to happen?
this is applicable in a number of states in india....delhi, tamil naidu, goa, rajasthan & karnataka have this the last time i checked....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:13 am
Original Poster

this is applicable in a number of states in india....delhi, tamil naidu, goa, rajasthan & karnataka have this the last time i checked....
But not French Polynesia, correct? This didn't' happen when I stayed at the Hilton Moorea on points several years ago. I wonder if it's new or incorrect policy?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But not French Polynesia, correct? This didn't' happen when I stayed at the Hilton Moorea on points several years ago. I wonder if it's new or incorrect policy?
i have no clue about french polynesia....i was responding to a post made by rev regarding a stay in india....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Actually, that is NOT true in India. I stayed in Delhi where supposedly every place collects a luxury tax (which seems to be defined by having a table, or AC, or random things we take for granted). I stayed in a 5 star hotel that on an award that collected nothing, nada, zilch.
As in India, YMMV

Oh yeah, and I got upgraded =P (and still paid nothing)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually, that is NOT true in India. I stayed in Delhi where supposedly every place collects a luxury tax (which seems to be defined by having a table, or AC, or random things we take for granted). I stayed in a 5 star hotel that on an award that collected nothing, nada, zilch.
As in India, YMMV

Oh yeah, and I got upgraded =P (and still paid nothing)
that's because on an award stay you pay nothing....you only pay on a c&p or revenue stay....

your rate has to be over a certain amount to attract the luxury tax (i believe its inr 750)....because you pay the property nothing during an award stay, they don't charge you the tax....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.