Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

lounge at Sheraton Waikiki vs Moana Surfrider

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

Hi all, I've done a lot of searching and a ton of reading about these 2 hotels here on FT, but was hoping to get up-to-date opinions on whether to choose the Sheraton Waikiki or Moana Surfrider. My number one criteria is the lounge -- a "traditional" concierge lounge at the Sheraton or the Moana Beach Club at the Surfrider. I will be leaving for work around 4:30am and returning to the hotel around 6:30pm, so I am most interested in the evening offerings. The food is of some interest, but I'm probably more interested in the availability of bottled water and soft drinks. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by scottmlew
The food is of some interest, but I'm probably more interested in the availability of bottled water and soft drinks. Any thoughts?
Seriously? Well, they both have bottled water and soft drinks.

The view from the 30th floor at the Sheraton Waikiki is spectacular. Hotel is kid friendly so expect many children running around (none of which belong to FTers since they have the best behaved children in the world). Food is meh. It's been pineapple and watermelon for breakfast for the last 4 years. They rotate the evening food so you shouldn't see the same food more often than every 4-5 days.

The lounge at the Moana is on the ground floor and has an outdoor seating area which is great for breakfast or drinks in the evening. You are literally just a few feet above the beach. Moana has a popcorn machine. ^ Fewer children at this hotel so I find the lounge much more peaceful. I prefer the food here. The fruit at breakfast has more variety.

Both have free wine/beer. At the Sheraton, you help yourself. At the Moana, they serve you, but your glass will never be empty.

Both are great lounges and whenever I go to Hawaii, I try to divide my time between the two hotels.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:16 am

First, margarita girl's opinion should be highly valued. I would speculate that she knows these properties/lounges at least as well as anyone here. And she has better taste in lounges than I do.

I would add to her thoughts just a couple of my own: especially in the evenings, the Moana Surfrider lounge's outdoor (mostly covered) seating is wonderful. Heck, mornings too. If only one could sit outside, 30 floors up, at the Sheraton. At the MS, you know you are in Honolulu; the Sheraton Lounge - view aside - could be anywhere. Staff at the MS will also know your name and your preferences within a couple of days. I could spend a month at the Sheraton, and no one knew me from Adam.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I beg to differ. Stanley welcomes me by name every time I show up at the SW lounge.

Be there in a few weeks.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
I had a stay at the Sheraton last week for 5 days. I went up to the lounge for breakfast on the first day and I did not return. The food was meh and the lounge was crowded.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have always found the lounge at the Sheraton a zoo, oceans of badly behaved sprogs and always busy. Food and drink options generally better though.

Moana the lounge actually feels a bit like a beach club, I strongly prefer it and it has always been calm when I was there (but I might have been lucky), food and drink options are a bit more limited but the ambience is far nicer.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It sounds like I'd be reasonably happy with either lounge, so it'll probably be a toss up where to stay. I'm not really interested in switching hotels during my stay, but I can try the opposite of what I decide on a future trip...and I also want to try the new Laylow, but did not want to stay there so shortly after it opens.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I wish the Westin Beach club lounge could be at the Sheraton Waikiki. Love the location and pool so much better at the Sheraton, but the Westin Lounge is a bit better in terms of varied offerings and less crowded with kids running around.

Then again, you don't come to HNL to sit in a lounge all day. Again, i think the Westin Beach Club is better set up to stop by quickly for water, coffee, etc. throughout the day.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed! And don't forget the popcorn machine!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

I've decided to try the Sheraton...thanks everyone for the advice. I will try to remember to post back with my experience.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone been to the Moana lounge of late? If so, what is the typical offering? I'm more interested in saving some money by having food for dinner or a late lunch. I'm perfectly fine with having a Caesar salad from one of the many ABC stores, but it would be nice to have something fresher in the lounge.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Has anyone been to the Moana lounge of late? If so, what is the typical offering? I'm more interested in saving some money by having food for dinner or a late lunch. I'm perfectly fine with having a Caesar salad from one of the many ABC stores, but it would be nice to have something fresher in the lounge.
I would also suggest reading the master thread for that property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.