Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Small Lifetime Platinum hiccup, with a happy ending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver

Recently, I have been eagerly trying to cross the Lifetime Plat finish line in anticipation of Marriott sinking its teeth into the SPG program. Last week, I got to Platinum 50 after a series of recent stays put me at 57 nights for 2016 and 499 Lifetime Nights (with 10 years Plat). I chose the "Five Elite-Qualifying Nights" Platinum 50 amenity thinking it would push me over my needed 500 nights so I could be done with it. After making the selection, I received an automated email that read:
You're all set.

Your benefit choice, Five Elite-Qualifying Nights, is confirmed.

We will credit your SPG® account with Five Elite-Qualifying Nights in the next 48 hours.

Over the 48 hours that followed, I periodically checked my account to see if the nights had posted. When they hadn't shown up after 48 hours had passed, I called the Platinum desk and was informed by a surly agent that the benefit doesn't count towards Lifetime status, only towards nights for this year and that it actually takes up to 3 business days for the nights to post. He didn't have an answer to why the confirmation email said 48 hours if it actually takes 3 business days. Not satisfied, I called back and got a very helpful different agent. He said my comment about the 48 hour time estimate not being met was valid and that the wording of the offer itself wasn't clear about what is meant by "Elite-Qualifying Nights" and that guests shouldn't have to look up the fine print to understand the basics of the offer. He documented my concerns and said he would escalate the matter and I should expect to hear back from someone in 3 to 7 business days. He added that his personal view was that he thought I should be given the five nights towards Lifetime status as a goodwill gesture.

This morning, I decided to call Corporate Customer Service. I spoke with a very professional supervisor who listened attentively. When I finished explaining the situation, without missing a beat, he said, "I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and let you know that I have just added a night to your Lifetime nights and you are now at 500 and will never fall below Platinum, but it can take up to about a week for it to show up on your profile". He said he will be following up internally to have them amend the wording of the communications to be more accurate and clear. I just logged into my account and see that I now have 500 nights / 10 years Platinum, but I'm still Lifetime Gold. I guess that's the week delay he mentioned. Not that it would have really mattered since I was only one night away, I was still happy they did the right thing for me, even if just as a matter of principle. Fun times. Thanks, Starwood. ^
Attached Images   
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Great result! I've always found SPG Customer Service to be top-notch. Hopefully, Marriott won't mess with it too much.

I know it no longer matters to you, but did you get a straight answer as to whether the 5 nights should have counted towards lifetime or just for the elite year?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Great result! I've always found SPG Customer Service to be top-notch. Hopefully, Marriott won't mess with it too much.

I know it no longer matters to you, but did you get a straight answer as to whether the 5 nights should have counted towards lifetime or just for the elite year?
Yeah, I just contend that they should make it clearer to avoid confusion. They could do it using a simple asterisk next to the option... Five Elite-Qualifying Nights*, with small print at the bottom that reads, *Valid towards 2017 elite-qualifying nights only and not towards Lifetime nights. Problem solved. If they had done that and if they had fixed the 48 hour / 3 business days sloppiness, I wouldn't have had an issue and I would have chosen a different Plat 50 award!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjk1976
Yeah, I just contend that they should make it clearer to avoid confusion. They could do it using a simple asterisk next to the option... Five Elite-Qualifying Nights*, with small print at the bottom that reads, *Valid towards 2017 elite-qualifying nights only and not towards Lifetime nights. Problem solved. If they had done that and if they had fixed the 48 hour / 3 business days sloppiness, I wouldn't have had an issue and I would have chosen a different Plat 50 award!
It is there albeit the wording could have been better.

Add 5 Elite Qualifying Nights to your 2016 total. Reach 75 eligible nights to earn 4 Starpoints per U.S. dollar spent with SPG. After 100 eligible nights, get SPG Ambassador service.
It mentioned adding 5 nights to 2016 total. No mention of adding to lifetime total.

https://www.spgpromos.com/50nightsbenefit/benefits/
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The lurkers have also made this clear in the main thread of P50 benefits.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
As a Lifetime Plat myself, I know that there were times that I could've used a little notation about Lifetime Eligibility. I'm SO glad that you called more than once. I've always found that SPG Line is wonderfully staffed and helpful to the extreme. With so many people going for LP now, I would think that they'd add a notation if a certain rate is not eligible. I received my card a year and a half ago and I love it. I'm really worried about Marriott, but I can't do a thing. I've stayed with Starwood more as a Lifetime Plat than ever before,and hope that they'll see that it is a worthwhile program. I've never been a Marriott fan but I'm willing to give them a chance if they give us one.

Congrats again and enjoy your new status!
PS: Be careful with the card when you get it- mine has ripped the hell out of three wallets!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by craigthemif
However, since only 0.01% (my estimate) of all SPG members read FT, this is not a good place to disseminate vital information.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
LTP qualification says 500 eligible nights, with eligible night defined as
every night during a Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel for which the SPG Member pays an Eligible Rate or, for stays on or after October 1, 2011, redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward, and (ii) for every night during a Stay at an SPG Partner Hotel for which the SPG Member pays a Partner Eligible Rate
I would never have expected free, non-stay "Elite-Qualifying Nights" to meet any of these definitions.

"*free Elite Qualifying Nights are not equal to paying an eligible rate staying a night in a property" strikes me as similar to ""Do not hold the wrong end of a chainsaw""
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
That's a great ending but I think the site is clear that credited nights / stays don't count towards lifetime status. For example, I have a promotion now that gives me double nights but it only really matters for this year's status and that was clear when I signed up for it.

I'm also amazed that you managed to have 10 years of Platinum status while only having 499 nights total.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by CPRich
LTP qualification says 500 eligible nights, with eligible night defined as

I would never have expected free, non-stay "Elite-Qualifying Nights" to meet any of these definitions.

"*free Elite Qualifying Nights are not equal to paying an eligible rate staying a night in a property" strikes me as similar to ""Do not hold the wrong end of a chainsaw""
SPG has run numerous 'bonus elite qualifying credit' promotions in the past. IIRC, these have qualified towards the Lifetime nights total, and also have qualified the year in which elite status was gained or renewed by benefit of the bonus towards the Lifetime number-of-years total.

The current promos have changed this precedent, and there is a danger that SPG members will have a nasty surprise (ref the OP, for example) when they discover the bonus credits have been disallowed by the small print now in the T&Cs.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Aug 31, 2016 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
By the actual terms, the 5 nights would be a total waste for the OP unless he/she will end the year within 5 nights of 75 or 100.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I was relying on what it said in the communication they sent me, I didn't research the fine print or what the lurkers may have said on Flyertalk. I don't deny that the rule is that the nights apply only to 2017 status, my point was just that it wouldn't take much for them to make that point clear when people make their Plat 50 amenity choice.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
SPG has run numerous 'bonus elite qualifying credit' promotions in the past. IIRC, these have qualified towards the Lifetime nights total, and also have qualified the year in which elite status was gained or renewed by benefit of the bonus towards the Lifetime number-of-years total.

The current promos have changed this precedent, and there is a danger that SPG members will have a nasty surprise (ref the OP, for example) when they discover the bonus credits have been disallowed by the small print now in the T&Cs.
Exactly!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
...I'm also amazed that you managed to have 10 years of Platinum status while only having 499 nights total.
I earned Plat via stays (25/yr) for the first several years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.