Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can I simultaneously stay at two hotels at once?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I simultaneously stay at two hotels at once?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Herb687
You can absolutely stay in more than one room at a time, if "time" is defined as the period between check-in and check-out.

Heck if one books two rooms in the same hotel and they have those nasty interior connecting doors, it is even possible with a bit of leg stretching to occupy two rooms at the same instantaneous point in time.
OK, perhaps OP should have worded the question a bit more precisely, as s/he undoubtedly wanted to know about stay, night and point credit, not whether it is a physical possibility. I certainly understood what was meant.

I'm not buying your intepretation of the T&Cs at all. Sloppy armchair lawyering.
I'm an actual litigator with nearly 30 years of experience, not an armchair lawyer. I've spent a fair amount of time litigating the interpretation and meaning of contractual terms and conditions. You?

Especially in light of language elsewhere in SPG's T&Cs that very explicitly allows a member to earn points, night and stay credit for multiple rooms (up to 3) in the same hotel.
Have you considered that there's a reason that the terms and conditions specify that while you can earn for up to three rooms, they must be in the same hotel?

Does it make any sense at all that SPG would give you 2 stays and 2 nights worth of credit for booking two rooms for one night in the same hotel while denying said credit for booking those two rooms across two different hotels?
Sure. They don't want you gaming the system. You're limited to credit for three rooms in a single property on any given night. IIRC there are seven Starwood properties in Bangkok. They don't want you booking three rooms in each of the seven properties, picking up 21 nights' credit per actual night. IMO that's a reasonable position for them to take.

Given that not one poster on this thread has been able to point to any specific language in the T&Cs prohibiting points accrual or night/stay credit for simultaneous stays at two properties, I am going to say that OP is in good shape.
Take whatever position you like; but Starwood's interpretation (which will be determinative) is going to be that OP is not entitled to credit for the same night at different properties. As has already been pointed out, that doesn't mean that s/he has no chance of getting that credit. Only that if s/he does, it's an oversight which slipped through and will be clawed back if Starwood finds it.

I would do it without hesitation if the situation warranted it.
Go for it, absolutely. Great if you can get it, -- I have. But you're always at risk of losing it in an audit.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Asked and answered elsewhere. Typically no credit in two different properties on the same date. About the only exception is when crossing the date line and then will take a bit of talking. Now you can try it, and if it posts, great until SPG does an audit and pulls one or both from your account.
Why would they pull both?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I've had two instances this year where I received SPG stay and night credit for multiple rooms on the same night, once for two rooms in the same property and once for two rooms in different properties (in the same city). In the second case, I had booked a room with points for a friend and I ended up having to book a room at an airport property due to IRROPS.
Up to three rooms in the same property is now allowed by SPG and credit should be expected.

Credit for a friend's room (presuming you were not staying there too) should not have happened, but yes, properties do mess up.

I'm not sure of the process to determine you have stays at two different properties, if it's up to the property, we already know the first messed up. If it's a sweep later by SPG, we know they mess up too (why have CSRs if they are perfect). Neither of these preclude a later audit revealing the mistake and it being fixed later.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by RogerD408
SPG has defined a stay as one or more nights in the same hotel. It does not give you any wiggle room with more than one property.
It gives you tons of wiggle room. People keep reading things into the program T&Cs that are not there.

You and Dr. HFH are hanging your hat on the language defining a "stay" but the T&Cs do not state that one cannot have simultaneous "stays" at different properties.

The definition of a "stay" as one or more nights in the same hotel is written that way in order to make it clear that checking in and checking out of the SAME hotel on consecutive nights still counts as just one say.

Again, there is absolutely nothing in the T&Cs that prohibits eligible stays at DIFFERENT hotels on the same night.

Nowhere in the entire T&Cs.

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I've had two instances this year where I received SPG stay and night credit for multiple rooms on the same night, once for two rooms in the same property and once for two rooms in different properties (in the same city). In the second case, I had booked a room with points for a friend and I ended up having to book a room at an airport property due to IRROPS.
As would be expected. And if it didn't happen automatically I would expect that a call to SPG would result in proper points, night, and stay credit posting. If SPG tried to deny that credit, there's no doubt in my mind that were it to be litigated (it wouldn't be), a litigator more competent than some on this thread would quickly dispatch with SPG's position.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm an actual litigator with nearly 30 years of experience, not an armchair lawyer. I've spent a fair amount of time litigating the interpretation and meaning of contractual terms and conditions.
In this instance you are armchair lawyering. And you are flat out wrong.

...but Starwood's interpretation (which will be determinative) is going to be that OP is not entitled to credit for the same night at different properties.
A position not supported by any language in the T&Cs.

Only that if s/he does, it's an oversight which slipped through and will be clawed back if Starwood finds it.

Go for it, absolutely. Great if you can get it, -- I have. But you're always at risk of losing it in an audit.
Zero risk whatsoever unless SPG wants to blatantly violate the T&Cs of its own program. And if they did, a competent litigator could get all of that back!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Also note that you receive STAY credit for Day Rates, but 0 NIGHTS credit. Just an FYI reminder.

Also I booked recently 2 hours away from one property for a night and checked in and left without checking out 4 hours later, then checked into another hotel later that night. I got stays/nights for both as I have in the past. If you need stay credits, consider Day Rates, if you need nights, then book a ghost room or two at the cheap hotel you happen by.

I did the 4 hour booking just to cross off one of the 11 brands that isn't prevalent in the world Tribute Portfolio, hint. So I paid 80 bucks and stayed at the place for 4 hours and left. Now I can get the 11k bonus for all 11 brands promo.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Let's flip the coin... Nowhere in the SPG T&C's does it say you are entitled to credit for stays in multiple properties on the same night. And in reading the terms as they are written, the only time multiple-night credit is stated is regarding multiple rooms in the same property.

Of course it's easy to read things into the terms that aren't there, but I doubt any impartial party would say you can book as many properties as you wish and expect credit for all of them. If I want a program that merely rewards money spent, I'd join the CC programs and not worry about where I stay.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the issue is that there's a presumption that you cannot be (stay) in two hotels the same night, so that the being present requirement (as well as paying, that is to stay and pay) wouldn't be satisfied.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You and Dr. HFH are hanging your hat on the language defining a "stay" but the T&Cs do not state that one cannot have simultaneous "stays" at different properties.
There are lots of things that the Terms and Conditions don't specifically prohibit you from doing. Doesn't mean that you can do them, however.

The definition of a "stay" as one or more nights in the same hotel is written that way in order to make it clear that checking in and checking out of the SAME hotel on consecutive nights still counts as just one say.
And you know this with certainty because you were on the team that drafted the wording?

If SPG tried to deny that credit, there's no doubt in my mind that were it to be litigated (it wouldn't be), a litigator more competent than some on this thread would quickly dispatch with SPG's position.
Just out of curiosity, what's your litigation experience?

I gave up trying to predict litigation outcomes decades ago. Judges are way too unpredictable for my taste, actually. But before you spend a lot of money with the certainty that you will prevail, you should also read and understand various parts of §13, including especially §13.17.

The wording of the SPG terms and conditions is grant-based. That means that you are entitled to only those things that are specified in the wording. If it's not there, you don't get it.

In this instance you are armchair lawyering. And you are flat out wrong.
The experience of other members as described in FT suggests otherwise. And you still haven't answered my question, -- what's your experience litigating and interpreting contractual terms and language?

Zero risk whatsoever unless SPG wants to blatantly violate the T&Cs of its own program. And if they did, a competent litigator could get all of that back!
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. More to the point, there's nothing to lose. One's downside of trying to claim the same night in multiple properties is that you don't earn the additional credit you thought that you would.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 20, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It gives you tons of wiggle room. People keep reading things into the program T&Cs that are not there.

Again, there is absolutely nothing in the T&Cs that prohibits eligible stays at DIFFERENT hotels on the same night.

Nowhere in the entire T&Cs.
Take 3 seconds to do a search on the topic. This has been discussed NUMEROUS times over the past decade, including since they added in language to allow credit for up to 3 rooms in the same hotel on the same night. Again, as I mentioned up-thread, in terms of receiving credit, Y-M-M-V (your miles may vary; aka you may receive credit, you may not). However, per the T&C's and per SPG's interpretation of the T&C's, doing what OP mentions would not be within the spirit, terms, or intentions of the program. And if you don't like it, they cover that in the T&C's as well (aka you really have no leg to stand on).

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Well, a lot depends upon what your intent is. Is it merely to garner extra stay and night credits or do you have a legitimate reason for staying in two hotels on the same day. If the former, then this would apply:

3.5. We may cancel accumulated Starpoints, suspend your Membership privileges or terminate your Membership at any time with immediate effect, confirmed by written notification to you if, in our sole discretion, you have (a) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable laws or ordinances, (b) acted in a fraudulent or abusive manner, (c) breached any of these Terms and Conditions, (d) engaged in fraud or abuse concerning Starpoints, award usage or Membership privileges and benefits, or (e) failed to pay any bill when due to Starwood Hotels or any Participating Property. Subject to applicable law, Membership will terminate automatically on your filing for bankruptcy or otherwise becoming subject to a bankruptcy proceeding.
There are times when this is a legitimate set of circumstances and other times when it isn't. I personally would not worry about it unless you are contacted by SPG Accounts Integrity. If you are, I suspect that you will either be able to give them a plausible explanation or expect one of the "stays" to be removed.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Quoting someone else: "Based of your answer, I assume that the phone agent was wrong and that one is allowed to collect stay/night at two hotels on the same day/night..."

Well, not entirely.

4B.2. An "Eligible Stay" is one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property, whether or not you checked-out and checked back in, during which you paid an Eligible Rate and presented your Preferred Guest number at registration. An "Eligible Night" is each night during an Eligible Stay. All stays are deemed to occur on the date of arrival; however, nights within a stay belong to the month in which they occur.

5.5. If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges incurred and paid by you for up to three rooms during the same stay (your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name, you stay in one of the rooms, and you personally settle all room charges upon check-out. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions.

SPG Member Accounts Integrity would use these terms to tell you that you've violated the Terms and Conditions of Membership trying to collect stay/night credits for two hotels on the same day.
Originally Posted by Someone posting their response from SPG
Thank you for your email reply. I do apologize for any frustration or disappointment this has caused.

A stay is defined as one or more paid consecutive nights consumed in a participating Starwood Hotel or Resort regardless of the number of check-ins or checkouts that occur. You may not receive stay credit and Starpoints for more than one stay per date or in more than one hotel per night. Unfortunately, our records indicate that another stay was credited to your account during this same period. As per section 2.8.c of the SPG Terms and Conditions, Starwood may correct the amount of Starpoints shown as credited to an SPG Member at any time.

If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges for up to three rooms (i.e., your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name at the same hotel and you personally settle all room charges upon checkout. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one "stay" in order to earn elite levels of membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions.
I can keep going, if you'd like. And if you're still not satisfied and you still want definitive proof within the T&C's, then search for the number of times "at any time" and "sole discretion" are mentioned (hint, 18 and 17 times, respectively). If you want an interpretation that mimics what you think, then you won't be receiving one... but they may point to one of those lines that uses "at any time" or "sole discretion" while they politely tell you that your interpretation of the T&C's is wrong.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And you know this with certainty because you were on the team that drafted the wording?

Just out of curiosity, what's your litigation experience?
Oh come on. Given YOUR alleged litigation experience you should know that the Ts&Cs are, AT BEST, ambiguous. You should also know that ambiguity is interpreted against the drafter, especially in cases where the contract drafting is entirely one sided.

As stated multiple times, the contract interpretation issue is very simple--what does it mean to "stay" at a property as that word is used in section 2.1(a)(iii)(B) in the phrase "and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms."

As I and many others have pointed out, there are multiple legitimate reasons to utilize separate rooms at separate hotels in the course of one night.

I have had this specific conversation with SPG in an instance where I had a hospitality suite at one hotel and a room to sleep in at another hotel, and received credit for both.

Do they have the ability to deny you the credit if you are trying to game the system? Yes. If you have legitimate reasons for having rooms at different properties will you get credit? I did.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Oh come on. Given YOUR alleged litigation experience you should know that the Ts&Cs are, AT BEST, ambiguous. You should also know that ambiguity is interpreted against the drafter, especially in cases where the contract drafting is entirely one sided.

As stated multiple times, the contract interpretation issue is very simple--what does it mean to "stay" at a property as that word is used in section 2.1(a)(iii)(B) in the phrase "and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms."

As I and many others have pointed out, there are multiple legitimate reasons to utilize separate rooms at separate hotels in the course of one night.

I have had this specific conversation with SPG in an instance where I had a hospitality suite at one hotel and a room to sleep in at another hotel, and received credit for both.

Do they have the ability to deny you the credit if you are trying to game the system? Yes. If you have legitimate reasons for having rooms at different properties will you get credit? I did.
I am not aware that anyone was saying that "legitimate reasons" did not qualify as an exception should an exception need to be argued. There's ample evidence showing that exceptions will be made for legitimate reasons. There is a rule. There are exceptions to that rule. The YMMV principle also applies for non-audited accounts, whether or not a legitimate reason exists. For the purposes of the OP, there is not a legitimate reason presented. As to whether or not it could be twisted into a legitimate reason is yet another YMMV scenario ... and considering he posted on here with the full details of his intentions, it would be a violation of the T&C's (assuming anyone can match FT nickname to SPG account ... that's another discussion in another thread) and grounds for cancellation of his account ("acted in a fraudulent or abusive manner").

Lawyers.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by jibi
or the purposes of the OP, there is not a legitimate reason presented. As to whether or not it could be twisted into a legitimate reason is yet another YMMV scenario ... and considering he posted on here with the full details of his intentions, it would be a violation of the T&C's (assuming anyone can match FT nickname to SPG account ... that's another discussion in another thread) and grounds for cancellation of his account ("acted in a fraudulent or abusive manner").
Just to put the opposing view :

The actions described by the OP in post #1 are perfectly legitimate, are NOT fraudulent, there is NO violation of the SPG T&Cs, and SPG has NO grounds to cancel his account.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right, of course, -- ambiguities are often (but not always) interpreted against the drafter. But there has to be an actual ambiguity. For example, I practice primarily in Massachusetts. Here's what the Massachusetts Appeals Court had to say about this issue:
“... the court must construe all words that are plain and free from ambiguity according to their usual and ordinary sense.”
I suggest that in the context of the hospitality industry, the "usual and ordinary sense" of "stay"ing in a hotel room would imply an overnight stay, not remaining in the room for more than a minute.

And, I think that this language would probably cover Starwood, anyway.
13.17 Interpretation of SPG Program Terms. All interpretations of these SPG Program Terms and the rules of SPG Program membership will be at Starwood's sole discretion, and Starwood's decisions will be final.

If you have legitimate reasons for having rooms at different properties will you get credit?
Well, I don't know if you will; but IMO you should.

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The actions described by the OP in post #1 are perfectly legitimate, are NOT fraudulent, there is NO violation of the SPG T&Cs, and SPG has NO grounds to cancel his account.
Perhaps I misinterpreted something, but I didn't realize that cancellation of OP's SPG account was even under discussion. I completely agree, no reason at all to cancel his/her account.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 21, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Simply Put.... I have done this on several occasions with ZERO problems what-so-ever and received all the proper credit. The scenario is that I may have booked "SPG Hotel A" for a week and may have had to run to a meeting in another city for a night, so I booked and stayed at "SPG Hotel B". Received credit for both, as I should have as I bought, paid for, and stayed in both hotels.

For the OP... You may be better off listening to the folks with real world experience with this. If you're legit, there probably won't be any issue.

For the OP Part 2... Even though it's a non-refundable rate, it would not hurt to try to get a refund. I've been successful at this. You've got a good excuse.

Last edited by jb3t; Aug 21, 2016 at 11:11 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Yes, you can have concurrent hotel bookings. We often do this for convenience.

e.g. Booked ten nights at the BCN. Decided to spend one night at the LM Ra Beach and another at the Westin Valencia during those ten nights and wanted to keep our room with our luggage. Received points for all but only 10 night credit.

We did tell front desk of our plans so we weren't checked out as it can be problematic when the hotel notices your gone for 48 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.