Search

Missing 4 of the brands

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:26 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Missing 4 of the brands

What's the cheapest I can do ST REGIS and Design hotels and the luxury collection and W in Europe? Thinking a small run might be worth it for 11 k points no?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
What's the cheapest I can do ST REGIS and Design hotels and the luxury collection and W in Europe? Thinking a small run might be worth it for 11 k points no?
Istanbul? Doesnt have an LC though.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:45 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Prefer to keep to Europe lol Istanbul not the best place to be at now. I imagine the cheapest LC would be in sofia, but what about the ST Regis?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Thinking a small run might be worth it for 11 k points no?
A mattress run just for the points (if you don't actually need to stay) is definitely not worth it. Even if you could stay at the cheapest SR and W, you're still looking at at least $300-400 total for 4 brands (to say nothing of the cost of traveling to Asia, where these are located). Hitting all 4 brands in Europe could easily cost you $1000, I imagine. Much better off buying points.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Agree with jpdx. 11K points costs $385 when they aren't on sale.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You would probably find it cheaper to fly to Bangkok to do cheap-ish W, LC and StR stays. I think there are some Category 3 Design hotels in Europe, but that spends 7K of the 11K, unless it's somewhere you wanted to visit anyhow.

As mentioned, 11K points isn't worth it. I probably overspent getting all 11 brands although I suppose there was a bit of value from the fun in it...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I was on the same quest until last week after the dissappointing lack of promos I did the math and decided 5-6 BRGs was better then aiming for the 11 brands

I will be in BKK where they have a LC a LM a W etc all fairly well priced so I would only need one extra stay etc but only the LC is a hotel I would stay at normally so I decided just to book the Conrad instead.

Only you can decide what works best for you but a 4 hotel mattres run seems excessive to me unless of course you need the nights for Plat renawal too?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:59 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Honestly mostly for fun, but where in the world can you find a cheap Regis?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
The St Regis Tianjin, maybe? It's the lowest-ranked one by category [Cat 3] in the entire brand portfolio, dawdling down there on its own. Chengdu [China] and Mumbai [India] are the sole entrants in Cat 4; all the others are in the top three [6 in C5, 14 in C6 and 16 in C7].

khabah
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I just stayed at SR Bangkok for THB3800++ (about EUR110 all-in), and I'd say the majority of St Regis properties can be had under EUR200/nt -- if you're willing to look for good rates and flexible with dates.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:31 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

I figured out how to do it with a total cost of 300 to 400 dollars and in places I want to go to anyway. I am so hyped and this should also lead me to Spg 100. The only problem was the ST regis so I will do that with cash plus points 😃 Moscow looking nice for a superior value and plus I have never experienced the best luxury of SPG.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:18 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Mexico City.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Thinking a small run might be worth it for 11 k points no?
No.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
No.
^^^

It seems ridiculous to be going after all 11 brands...unless it simply falls into place naturally anyway. The prospect of a mere 11,000 points seems more like a temptation rather than a suitable reward. But clearly it works on some!

I only need a Design hotel to hit 11 brands...but I still am not going out of my way for a mere 11,000 points. Even next May when I'll be in Sydney, I can't bring myself to stay 2 nights at the Design Old Clare over the better fit for me Westin.

If you're close to staying with almost all 11 brands, it's hard to imagine that you really need 11,000 SPG points. You're gonna spend more to get them, almost certainly. Unless you live outside N America, where there are more Design and Tribute options, perhaps...but still fewer Aloft and Element options.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
A runnable promotion was the one +/- 10 years ago when you got 50K bonus points for doing 5 different brands in Asia/Pacific.

So, effectively, 10K points per brand!

Now SPG is giving you 1000 points per brand and paying you in points that are waayyyyyyyy less valuable than they were 10 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.