Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Singapore, Sentosa [Master Thread] [LEFT Marriott October 2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien Singapore, Sentosa [Master Thread] [LEFT Marriott October 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Any real first impressions from the hotel would be great! Thinking of staying here on my two day trip to Singapore next year.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Jim Tan
Stayed on 11Jun one night, very disappointed
The staffs are not well train, the breakfast is terrible, the Merlion room is noisy and worst thing the Club Lounge is not open to guests yet, Worst thing is the internet speed is slow like snail, took some times to load the Instagram! paid 500++ din't enjoy the stay at all.
SPG Platinum member din't get welcome fruit platter with the welcome letter, no snacks or wine after turn down, the turn down service is just close the curtain, no drinking water re-fill, no slipper even the bed is not tidy up.

I'm not surprised since they only just converted two days before.

I say give it a year for them to be refined.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The SNA selection page shows the Japanese Onsen Suite as only Platinum upgrade option. The SPG website has minimal information about this hotel, but from googling old Movenpick information, it looks as though there are various other premium room types and suites aside from the Onsen Suite. Does anyone have a list of the room types? Which ones are preferable?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:00 pm

dont think this hotel is worth the money, 500+sgd for a basic room is crazy! there is alot of nicer hotel in singapore!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by arbathur
dont think this hotel is worth the money, 500+sgd for a basic room is crazy! there is alot of nicer hotel in singapore!
I think everybody agrees that there are many nicer hotels in Singapore, and that SG$500 is crazy, but what about this rate:

Arrival Date: XX-Sep-2016
Departure Date: XX-Sep-2016 (multiple nights on a weekend)
Room Type: Classic (2 guests / Breakfast included)
Actual confirmed rate: 133.02 SGD (166.28 SGD less 20%) + Taxes (17.70%)

Have any Plats stayed yet? I'd love to see an update.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think everybody agrees that there are many nicer hotels in Singapore, and that SG$500 is crazy, but what about this rate:

Show-off :P... hee hee.

Seriously good rate though. Enjoy your stay. The hotel even as a Movenpick wasn't _that_ bad. They just haven't got their act together yet as a LeM. What do you expect when the owner basically gave management a few weeks to transition. They had to go up to LeM KUL to borrow/buy supplies.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus

Wow - I'd love to know how you get a rate like that! I'm considering a stay either in August or Sep. Will report back if I do stay.

One of the things holding me back is lack of reviews/photos/anything about the place, really!

Last edited by horizontal; Jul 3, 2016 at 10:42 am Reason: Added last line
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Seriously good rate though. Enjoy your stay. The hotel even as a Movenpick wasn't _that_ bad. They just haven't got their act together yet as a LeM. What do you expect when the owner basically gave management a few weeks to transition. They had to go up to LeM KUL to borrow/buy supplies.
I don't like Sentosa very much, and thus even avoid the W (which I think is one of the better Ws apart from the location). I applied a SNA for a Japanese Onsen Suite, which looks like it would be a good upgrade. Do you think they have anything planned in terms of a club lounge or Plat drink/canapé benefit?

Regarding my rate (to preempt additional PMs), it looks like it was a unique opportunity (now gone) using Directrooms. Do look around, though -- LM has a long and proud history in Singapore, and other BRG opportunities may be out there.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:35 am

I don't like Sentosa very much, and thus even avoid the W (which I think is one of the better Ws apart from the location). I applied a SNA for a Japanese Onsen Suite, which looks like it would be a good upgrade. Do you think they have anything planned in terms of a club lounge or Plat drink/canapé benefit?
I haven't looked at the website but just the name "Japanese Onsen Suite" makes it sound like a great upgrade. Once I have a bit of time on my hands I'm going to ask for a tour... will report back if I manage to squeeze out any info.

Regarding my rate (to preempt additional PMs), it looks like it was a unique opportunity (now gone) using Directrooms. Do look around, though -- LM has a long and proud history in Singapore, and other BRG opportunities may be out there.
Ahahaha... clever clever! :P. Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:02 am

jpdx, here's a review with pics of the onsen suite...
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hertz PC; SPG P; HH G
I stayed here last Friday night in a Japanese Onsen Suite (upgraded using SNA 5 days out).

I was traveling with my son on the last night of a whirlwind Southeast Asia trip (other SPG properties included St. Regis Singapore at the beginning of our trip and Le Meridien Angkor during our time in Cambodia), and wanted the Sentosa location for our last night in town.

A quick note on the Onsen "Suite" - this is only a suite in that it houses a large private outdoor area with the onsen tub/pool. The outdoor deck was multi-tiered, covered, and well-appointed with a dining table, large day beds, and the onsen tub (which my son loved and I enjoyed at night). The bathroom also featured a nice steam unit in the shower. But the room itself is very small with not even a full hanging closet and was tight even for the two of us. There is no separate indoor living area.

Other impressions:

Pros:
* Good location if you want to visit Sentosa attractions. All of Sentosa is easily accessed from the hotel's front door either on foot (Resorts World, Palawan Beach) or by tram or cable car. The hotel also provided free 3-day passes to take the monorail to Harbour Front station to connect to the MRT.

* Facilities generally in very good condition. Our room was clean and well maintained, and the common areas appeared to be well maintained as well. The aesthetic is a good fit for the LeMeridien brand and I don't expect they will be doing much updating to the rooms themselves.

* Decent breakfast buffet included for Platinums. Desk agent hands out typical continental breakfast vouchers, but dining room staff never asked for them nor presented a bill and I didn't see any other checks presented to other tables. Not sure why we received voucher or what to expect with this as they work through their transition.

* Suite night upgrade cleared five days out and was honored at check-in.

Cons:

* Staff least friendly and helpful of any Starwood property I visited on this trip. Check-in host acted almost resentful when she conveyed how "lucky" I was that I would get a "big room you didn't pay for" for our stay. Not sure how exactly to express the tone, but it was a very big difference from the typical "Welcome Mr. ____, as a Platinum member we're pleased to be able to upgrade you to a ___________" that I'm used to and came across as almost rude. This went hand-in-hand with a general impression that many of the staff are not happy with the transition from Movenpick.

Other bizarre occurrences - after granting a 4:00 late check out upon our check in, someone was not pleased with the arrangement as our phone started ringing every five minutes starting around 3:15 until the time we checked out, but no one would stay on the line long enough to speak when I picked up. The maid also knocked on our door three times during that period to offer us warm bottles of water. It seemed like a very passive aggressive way of asking us to leave early rather than just calling and making that request directly.

The doorman at the entrance facing the Merlion was welcoming and friendly, but I can't say the same for any other staff with whom I interacted at the hotel. This was hugely disappointing and a far cry from LeMeridien Angkor where the wonderful staff made for a much better experience even with lesser facilities.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question points stay?

Originally Posted by arbathur
What about 12,000 SPG points? Seems like a good deal for SIN?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by everywhere_ex_lax
Cons:

* Staff least friendly and helpful of any Starwood property I visited on this trip. Check-in host acted almost resentful when she conveyed how "lucky" I was that I would get a "big room you didn't pay for" for our stay. Not sure how exactly to express the tone, but it was a very big difference from the typical "Welcome Mr. ____, as a Platinum member we're pleased to be able to upgrade you to a ___________" that I'm used to and came across as almost rude. This went hand-in-hand with a general impression that many of the staff are not happy with the transition from Movenpick.

Other bizarre occurrences - after granting a 4:00 late check out upon our check in, someone was not pleased with the arrangement as our phone started ringing every five minutes starting around 3:15 until the time we checked out, but no one would stay on the line long enough to speak when I picked up. The maid also knocked on our door three times during that period to offer us warm bottles of water. It seemed like a very passive aggressive way of asking us to leave early rather than just calling and making that request directly.

The doorman at the entrance facing the Merlion was welcoming and friendly, but I can't say the same for any other staff with whom I interacted at the hotel. This was hugely disappointing and a far cry from LeMeridien Angkor where the wonderful staff made for a much better experience even with lesser facilities.
One of the things I find distasteful in hospitality service - front desk agents who are not used to upgrading people previously, sounding extremely sour that guests get upgraded. It is horrible welcome experience, and immediately sets the wrong tone for the stay.

It is a management strategy that channeled more sales to the hotel, which otherwise would have rooms (and Suites) going empty, but the front desk staff throwing tantrums to manage the upgrade process simply makes it difficult for the management to implement the policy.

I too have experiences that the turnover staff banging on the doors every 10-15 mins on check out day, even though I have late checkout as top tier elite status. It makes you feel that you are not welcomed at the hotel.

Sorry that you have to received such treatment at the start and end of the stay. I have to agree if this happens to me, I will have serious reservations on doing a 2nd stay at the hotel.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
One of the things I find distasteful in hospitality service - front desk agents who are not used to upgrading people previously, sounding extremely sour that guests get upgraded. It is horrible welcome experience, and immediately sets the wrong tone for the stay.

I agree totally - luckily it hasn't happened to me yet :P

It depends on the hotel culture. I stayed in both New Majestic and Wanderlust when they first joined and was upgraded multiple times (I was trying to accumulate nights for the Cat 5 promo). I even changed rooms multiple times to try out the various types. All done, with a smile. And the best part is they're not even obliged to upgrade being Design Hotels.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I agree totally - luckily it hasn't happened to me yet :P

It depends on the hotel culture. I stayed in both New Majestic and Wanderlust when they first joined and was upgraded multiple times (I was trying to accumulate nights for the Cat 5 promo). I even changed rooms multiple times to try out the various types. All done, with a smile. And the best part is they're not even obliged to upgrade being Design Hotels.
Lol. I did something similar, but did not get upgraded. Maybe I was on BRG rate on some of the occasions.

But I did get a better room once as the normal room was not available and I have to book a better room and file for BRG, and I retained the better room assignment, as they did not change it back to base category. So in that aspect, I got lucky.

No longer the case though. And Design Hotel's BRG now typically requires prepaid rates, so BRG has gotten more difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.