Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
[QUOTE=tommy777;9725725]Thank you for the report!

Please note that when you are staying at a 400USD+ luxury property, you should expect a lot.

My beef with this hotel:

Valet, it was definitely more than 5 minutes, more like 20. It might have been a busy day with a big conference when we were there...

I don't wait for the valet to fetch the car at the Diplomat anymore. I self-park now.
Old May 15, 2008, 2:49 pm
Suspended

1) i only self park at this hotel. during the weekend nights over the winter, the valet/driveway is a loony bin with car stretched back to the road.

2) given the recent threads (i.e., the "no power = only 5K points...after an initial refusal to give any points" thread), it seems as if this hotel is a bit stingy when it comes to compensation. if i was woken up by construction on a saturday morning at 8 am, i would have expected some token of goodwill given the hotel's rates/star level. during my last stay, housekeeping woke me from a great nap by calling my room asking when i wanted service despite the DND sign on the door (one of my top hotel pet peeves). when i mentioned it to the hotel, they basically told me to pound salt.

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; May 16, 2008 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:24 am
DH

Nice Stay!

Originally Posted by jottoson
Club lounge: Breakfast has not changed. Water went form Fiji to Nestle. Evening hors devoures are minimal. They used to be MUCH better. Prices for drinks used to good. $3-5. Now they are at $5-$8. I can go to the lobby bar for $10.

Pool Service: incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes you are greeted by an attendant who sets up a chair, gives you 3 towels and a glass of water. Other times you get in line, show your room card and get one towel.
From past (first) April stay -

Booked Club level room and asked and received overview room as gold.

I only complain about club food offering is that there was no hot dish choice, otherwise very good offering.

My pool service experience was exactly same as jottoson's; mixed.

Even though there is no indoor pool, there is covered area (under the upper side pool) where my family played during a couple of passing rains.

My 2 cents...
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
i stayed here a few weeks ago. they always upgrade me to a corner suite. this time on the 19th floor. the club lounge has Fiji back now food selection was decent in the evenings. the asian restaurant downstairs is not so great. the steak house was decent. did self park with no real problems
Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:13 pm

Upgrade at Westin Diplomat

Hi guys,

I have a trip planned with my family at the Westin Diplomat coming up. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and I was wondering what kind of upgrade to expect for us and what other benefits we will get as Platinum. We booked a Standard 2 Double Bed room for the 4 of us. Is it possible that they will upgrade us to a suite?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:20 pm

By all accounts the chances of a Plat being upgraded at the Diplomat - although not guaranteed - are very good. My one trip there was around Super Bowl time this year and we paid a $160/nite govt rate, we were upgraded to a 775 sq ft Ocean View Corner Suite on the 29th Floor which we were thrilled with. The SPG web site listed this room listed for $910/nite (of course I realize that nobody actually pays that), that monster rate included a "indulge Pkg-Bkfast For 2 Daily In Room Or Restaurant, Sparkling Wine And Strawberries" which we didn't get but we did receive access to the Executive Club.

Last edited by yanxfann; Jul 30, 2008 at 7:53 pm
Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Although The Dip is usually very forth coming with som ereally great UPs. I dont how they will handle a res with 4 people. Bout the only really comfortable way would be a Suite with 2 bedrooms, that I wouldnt think is a shoo-in

A 1 bedroon suite might have a pull out couch but the mattresses arent anything to speak of. Getting 2 roll-aways might work but then the living room will have to be rearranged, dont know if The Dip will go that far

anyway OP do inform Us what if anything happens
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at the Diplomat 32 times since its opening. Having said that, I have been upgraded to a suite 100% of the time, but I have never been more than 2 people.

All 90+ suites have 1 king size bed.

Both the Corner and diplomat suites can easily sleep up to 4 on the sofa. However, the hotel may be reluctant to automatically upgrade a room with only one bed.

If you dont mind a sofa and one bed, the view and room is WELL WORTH IT.

Call the hotel the morning of check-in and ask for the upgrade.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:38 pm

Also, will all 4 of us recieve access to the Executive Club, or just myself?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I've stayed several times as a Plat and always get a suite upgrade. I just got back from the Bahamas a few weeks back and stayed at Westin Lucaya. Compared to where you're headed, WL was like a super 8!

I would assume you'd all get access to the club, if every name is registered, but I never assume. For some reason I can't recall much about the club, but if I DO remember it was a bit of a walk within the hotel but nice.

One Plat concierge told me that if you reserve a room with 2 beds, the upgrade chances are less because most suites have a bedroom with one bed. It's what I was told, may or may not be true. I would do as previous poster mentioned- phone the hotel the day of. Tell them you're wondering about availability of a suite upgrade. They'll give you one if they have one, but I don't think both rooms would be upgraded.

Interesting situation w/2 rooms. I can say that 1 of New York's Sheraton Times Square Hotels (can't recall which of the 2 it was) upgraded me for a full week to a suite from my King room reservation and made sure my second room was connected. The 2nd room had 2 beds and then a strange door tunnel connected the room to the living area of the suite, which had a pull-out sofa bed and a King sized bedroom. We all 4 got club access, which was nice. Both rooms were registered in my name but I added all 3 additional people to the list at front desk when checking in.

That is the only time I remember having 2 rooms reserved but we had no trouble with lounge access or upgrade.

Good Luck!!!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by thaliajen
I've stayed several times as a Plat and always get a suite upgrade. I just got back from the Bahamas a few weeks back and stayed at Westin Lucaya. Compared to where you're headed, WL was like a super 8!

I would assume you'd all get access to the club, if every name is registered, but I never assume. For some reason I can't recall much about the club, but if I DO remember it was a bit of a walk within the hotel but nice.

One Plat concierge told me that if you reserve a room with 2 beds, the upgrade chances are less because most suites have a bedroom with one bed. It's what I was told, may or may not be true. I would do as previous poster mentioned- phone the hotel the day of. Tell them you're wondering about availability of a suite upgrade. They'll give you one if they have one, but I don't think both rooms would be upgraded.

Interesting situation w/2 rooms. I can say that 1 of New York's Sheraton Times Square Hotels (can't recall which of the 2 it was) upgraded me for a full week to a suite from my King room reservation and made sure my second room was connected. The 2nd room had 2 beds and then a strange door tunnel connected the room to the living area of the suite, which had a pull-out sofa bed and a King sized bedroom. We all 4 got club access, which was nice. Both rooms were registered in my name but I added all 3 additional people to the list at front desk when checking in.

That is the only time I remember having 2 rooms reserved but we had no trouble with lounge access or upgrade.

Good Luck!!!
Actually, we only have one room, not 2. The wife and I and the kids are all booked in one room.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mbmiles88
Hi guys,

I have a trip planned with my family at the Westin Diplomat coming up. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and I was wondering what kind of upgrade to expect for us and what other benefits we will get as Platinum. We booked a Standard 2 Double Bed room for the 4 of us. Is it possible that they will upgrade us to a suite?
Just returned from my vacation. Stayed 5 days at the Diplomat. I also booked a standard 2 Double bed room. Also two adults and two children. One week before arrival we were upgraded to a corner suite on the 24th floor. Pull-out sofa is OK for kids. All of us were granted access to the Executive Lounge. Had a great stay.

Good luck.

Last edited by HanL; Jul 31, 2008 at 2:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:52 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mbmiles88
Also, will all 4 of us recieve access to the Executive Club, or just myself?
The benefit in the Terms and Conditions of membership in SPG is defined as being for the Platinum member plus one other guest in the room. If any other outcome is experienced, it is based upon the generosity of the hotel. So, YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Update

My wife and I decided to go back to the Diplomat for a long weekend in October this year. I e-mailed Guy, the Guest Relations person I interacted with after our last stay and requested a room that has been updated with the Heavenly Bed. He wrote back immediately and confirmed us in a freshly refurbished Corner Suite with the Heavenly Bed

Will write a report after this (paid) stay. I recommend all Plat members to contact Guy and make sure you get a Heavenly bed the next time you stay at the Diplomat. He's the best!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tommy777
My wife and I decided to go back to the Diplomat for a long weekend in October this year. I e-mailed Guy, the Guest Relations person I interacted with after our last stay and requested a room that has been updated with the Heavenly Bed. He wrote back immediately and confirmed us in a freshly refurbished Corner Suite with the Heavenly Bed

Will write a report after this (paid) stay. I recommend all Plat members to contact Guy and make sure you get a Heavenly bed the next time you stay at the Diplomat. He's the best!

tommy777:

Do you have the email address for Guy that you could post here or PM me with the address? I am headed here in the middle of Sept. this year and have emailed Diplomatic Amy regarding an upgrade for this visit. She took very good care of my wife and I a couple of years ago when we were there and upgraded us to a corner suite as well. It was awsome!!!! I haven't heard back from her as of yet and I don't know if she moved to a different position in higher command or what. Her title at that time was complex director of revenue management. All I know is I am looking to get out of MI for a couple of days!!!!!

Please let me know. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.