Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tommy777
Internet
I opted for the wireless internet in the room. It was 12.95 a day. The wireless is not good. When I complained, Sprint said the service wasn't official yet. The front desk told me they didn't have wireless in the rooms. I said they do, I got on it and paid for it. It was just slow and bad reception in the bedroom. He said I must have picked up the free lobby internet.. I asked him where the hotel found that accesspoint, I would love to get my hands on an accesspoint that can go through 20 floors of concrete
Did the wireless connection identify itself as belonging to the Westin? Is there any chance you were picking up the signal from another hotel?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ztras
Did the wireless connection identify itself as belonging to the Westin? Is there any chance you were picking up the signal from another hotel?
hehe... definitely not.. I turned my laptop on and when you enter the "Westin" wireless access point, there's a log in window. It's a normal spg log in window, but it tells you to call the reception to get a code (which was my reservation number). I then put it in and choose the amount of days and the charge was on my bill.

The morons at the front desk at check out were probably not informed about the new service and suggested I had connected via Ethernet. I never plugged it in.... The manager said that "they were installing wireless internet, but it's not ready yet".... Well, I called the reception right after checking in and the person I talked to then was informed and prompted me the code immediately and I gained access.

It's just annoying that the weren't consistent/informed. The way that they both behaved at check out, didn't help

Hope this clarifies.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 8:32 pm
Suspended

the westin heavenly bed has been a standard for....years. i wonder how they got multi-year waiver.

if this is a corporate owned property, i can guess why.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
the westin heavenly bed has been a standard for....years. i wonder how they got multi-year waiver.

if this is a corporate owned property, i can guess why.
I just stayed there for 5 nights. The first night they put us in a corner suite on the 5th floor with a promise to move us to a higher floor for the remaining four nights...the 5th floor suite had a heavenly bed.
They moved us to a suite on the 30th floor, and that too had a heavenly bed.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I just stayed there for 5 nights. The first night they put us in a corner suite on the 5th floor with a promise to move us to a higher floor for the remaining four nights...the 5th floor suite had a heavenly bed.
They moved us to a suite on the 30th floor, and that too had a heavenly bed.
I can guarantee you that our suite did not have the heavenly bed. We have a Westin heavenly bed in our guest bedroom at home. The bed in our suite was a cheap, thin Serta.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I can guarantee you that our suite did not have the heavenly bed. We have a Westin heavenly bed in our guest bedroom at home. The bed in our suite was a cheap, thin Serta.
I think William has answered this, but aren't there different bedding/mattress brands that SPG properties can use to make the "heavenly bed" based on location/region?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I think William has answered this, but aren't there different bedding/mattress brands that SPG properties can use to make the "heavenly bed" based on location/region?
I've stayed a couple of times at the Westin Fort Lauderdale about 10 miles away from the Diplomat. They have the regular heavenly bed.... The beds we slept in at the Diplomat are NOT acceptable standard to call a Heavenly Bed. It's the type of mattress I had in college..

I'm pretty sure Bliss is right. Some of the rooms at the diplomat has the Heavenly Bed, some don't.

Here are the SPG website descriptions:

Superior Non-smoking Room, Heavenly Bed, Resort View, Separate Shower/bath, Large Marble Bathroom

Grand Deluxe Non-smoking Room, Heavenly Bed, Oceanfront, Step Out Balcony, Separate Shower/bath

Club Floor Non-smoking Room, Heavenly Bed, Resort View, Continental Brkfst, Evening Hors D'oeuvres

Diplomat Suite, Non-smoking Room, Resort View, Sofa And Coffee Table, Separate Shower/bath

Corner Suite, Non-smoking Room, Ocean View, Spacious Private Balcony, Walk-in Wardrobe

Club Floor Suite, Heavenly Bed, Resort View, Continental Brkfst, Evening Hors D'oeuvres

This is cut and paste from the SPG website. Note that the description of the Diplomat Suite and Corner Suite does not include Heavenly Bed... In the club floor suites, it looks like they have replaced the crappy Sertas.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I can also gurantee that the suite (club floor suite) did not have the heavenly bed either. I can further gurantee that my connecting room (regular room) had the heavenly bed, but my master bedroom in the suite did not.

I'm pretty sure Bliss is right. Some of the rooms at the diplomat has the Heavenly Bed, some don't...
Of course I'm right

Last edited by BlissWorld; Mar 19, 2008 at 9:28 am
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Now, can anyone please explain WHY??
Yes. It is a fairly simple explanation, really.

Starwood did not take over the management of this hotel until shortly after it had already been fully-outfitted, and so it turns out that all of the beds that were purchased originally were not the usual Heavenly Bed mattress(es) and box springs. At the time of their purchase and installation, no one knew this hotel was going to be branded as a Westin, so there was no consideration of that as a criterion.

In cases such as this one...where the bedding is fully new...the brand grants an exception to this portion of the brand standard with the understanding that when new beds are purchased down the road, they will be the real Heavenly Bed. In fact, some of the original bedding has already been replaced with the true Heavenly Bed and we expect that the rest at this particular resort will be replaced by the end of the year.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:01 am

Thank you, William.

I hope Starwood realizes that we are talking Red Roof Inn quality on the current mattresses.

Today I got hit by a 40 USD minibar bill. Talked to the hotel, supposedly I had taken a few bottles of water and some other stuff she couldn't figure out what was.. Of course, we went water shopping after discovering the only outrageous price at this hotel: One bottle of Panna: 7 bucks.

Had to raise my voice to get the charges reversed..
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
free water on club floor suite Also, free bottled water in lounge
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:57 pm

I heard you...

Got a very nice feedback from the hotel today, please note the following:

And, finally, you may be pleased to know that next month we will begin a multi-million-dollar renovation program that will include the public areas of the resort as well as all the guest rooms that will feature several enhancements including the installation of the new Westin signature Heavenly Beds.

I will give the property a try again when I go back to the area in September ^

PS! They gave me 1000 Starpoints for my "inconvenience".
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:42 pm
Suspended

OK not FIGI water but usually one can find a garbage can full of iceand bottles of water on the left side just before the reception desk, and also outside on the top of the stairs on your left when walking out of the hotel.

Never purchased a single bottle when I was staying here either pooled them from the cans listed above or the Lounge
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:39 am

I heard you...

Got a very nice feedback from the hotel today, please note the following:

And, finally, you may be pleased to know that next month we will begin a multi-million-dollar renovation program that will include the public areas of the resort as well as all the guest rooms that will feature several enhancements including the installation of the new Westin signature Heavenly Beds.
Any more info about the renovation? I've got a stay coming up in July.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by HanL
Any more info about the renovation? I've got a stay coming up in July.
I am very curious as to which pieces they are upgrading - I think this is one of the nicest Westins. I am consistently impressed by the service and room quality at this hotel. Have only had suites (including the governor's suite) and they are all amazing.

Here's hoping for an upgrade next weekend!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.