Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Moments purchase went awry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Spgtx
i don't like the premise that you can buy moments early.
I agree.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yup, agree with both of these comments. HOWEVER, once the side deal was agreed to by SPG, it should have been honored on the agreed terms. SPG could have said, and would have been well within its rights if it had, that side deals aren't part of the SPG program. But it didn't. It agreed to the side deal.

TBH, I did the same thing with a major carrier relative to a mistake fare. The carrier announced that it would not honor the mistake fare and refunded everyone's money (despite a lot of vocal complaining on FT). I sent an email to the group at the carrier that was handling this problem and after no more than four or five email exchanges we negotiated an agreement which both I and the carrier honored. (Part of the agreement was confidentiality.)
This is my point. I never forced them to do this. However, they first offered me this, agreed to do this, then changed the terms at the end and gave me a "do or die" offer.

I obviously told them that I would make this public. Quite frankly after the interaction I wouldn't have expected them to offer any side deals to me whatsoever.

But yes, I myself have done various "side deals" with the Moments team in the past, it happens. What I don't like here is that there was a commitment to something and they decided to make/change their rules at their own will. That's not how you make business.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jibi
I agree.
Life isn't fair...
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: IC Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by honflyer
Life isn't fair...
Yeah same goes for you plus "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - either go through with the deal SPG offers you now or find other resources to buy those tickets you want with cash.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:40 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yup, agree with both of these comments. HOWEVER, once the side deal was agreed to by SPG, it should have been honored on the agreed terms. SPG could have said, and would have been well within its rights if it had, that side deals aren't part of the SPG program. But it didn't. It agreed to the side deal.
It sounds like SPG did honor the deal. But since the terms were never finalized, the OP had no way of knowing if he would like them or not. In the end he didn't like the terms and the clock ran out.

This is my point. I never forced them to do this. However, they first offered me this, agreed to do this, then changed the terms at the end and gave me a "do or die" offer.
Per your original post they did not offer. You requested.
I obviously told them that I would make this public. Quite frankly after the interaction I wouldn't have expected them to offer any side deals to me whatsoever.
Aaaand then you threatened.

But yes, I myself have done various "side deals" with the Moments team in the past, it happens. What I don't like here is that there was a commitment to something and they decided to make/change their rules at their own will. That's not how you make business.
There was no commitment. You never settled on terms. When it came time to agree to terms, you didn't like what they offered. Eventually you failed to come to a mutually acceptable agreement for a perishable good. Rather than passing up the opportunity to liquidate that good, they chose to do so.

At the end of the day it seems like you were making up your own rules and agreements with SPG Moments, to the detriment of the rest of us members, and it eventually caught up with you.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I have gotten various SPG Moments packages before by emailing the team directly.
Could you expand and clarify this point please ? SPG has been privately selling you Moments packages instead of offering the packages for public sale ?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Life isn't fair...
nope. see below.

Honflyer: What if [unknown price] is much more than the points I have?
SPG: We'll figure something out then, you're guaranteed to get the tickets though.
Honflyer: Fine.
Three days before the event:
SPG: You'll need to buy some points NOW and pay a significant amount of cash to get the tickets.
my edit: SPG: We guaranteed you the tickets and this is what we've 'figured out.'

Honflyer: But I don't like those terms!

see above.

Look, to be fair (see what I did there?) if they agreed originally to make you a back room deal, they should have honored it...and my interpretation is that they tried to, you just didn't like the new terms. back room deals can go awry, and because they're back room deals, it's best not to do too much complaining when they do.

Last edited by karenkay; Apr 9, 2016 at 7:26 am
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
At the point that it was necessary to get your legal team involved it was the point where SPG may decide that even with all of your business it isn't worth keeping you as a customer. I agree that it sounds like things didn't work out well, but the ambiguity in the terms was the result of doing the deal as a favor.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Sounds to me like your ambassador made on honest mistake. And you want SPG to fall on its sword and give you something you weren't really entitled to because of it.

It also sounds like you are an extremely high-maintenance customer. Getting your legal team involved over a couple of show tickets? Seriously?

I will be very disappointed in Starwood if they don't fire you as a customer. I wouldn't want you as my customer. Anybody who is that quick to talk lawyers isn't worth the trouble.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Sounds to me like your ambassador made on honest mistake. And you want SPG to fall on its sword and give you something you weren't really entitled to because of it.

It also sounds like you are an extremely high-maintenance customer. Getting your legal team involved over a couple of show tickets? Seriously?

I will be very disappointed in Starwood if they don't fire you as a customer. I wouldn't want you as my customer. Anybody who is that quick to talk lawyers isn't worth the trouble.
Yeah, who threatens legal action over concert tickets? Yikes. This whole story just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Yeah, who threatens legal action over concert tickets? Yikes. This whole story just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.
I think they were sporting event tickets, not concert tickets.

When OP declined to purchase the needed points (with SPG willing to waive annual limits on the purchase of points), the deal was off.

I also agree with others that it's not right for some people to be able to make their own special deals for SPG Moments packages before they are offered/auctioned to the public. It erodes the availability for others and can drive up the price of auction items.

I think it was wrong for the OP to request special favors, not just this time but for previous Moments offers.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When OP declined to purchase the needed points (with SPG willing to waive annual limits on the purchase of points), the deal was off.
I don't see it that way. When they made the agreement, they agreed to "figure something out." To me, that implies some sort of cooperative effort. Then when the time came, SPG unilaterally took the position that OP had to purchase points immediately. Sounds to me as though the only one doing any figuring was SPG.

I also agree with others that it's not right for some people to be able to make their own special deals for SPG Moments packages before they are offered/auctioned to the public.
Agreed.

I think it was wrong for the OP to request special favors, not just this time but for previous Moments offers.
Disagree. Nothing wrong with asking. SPG's response might have been more along the lines of, "You're joking, right?" But, no. SPG agreed. What's wrong with asking? The worst that can happen is that they will say No. Anyone here ever ask a Concierge or Ambassador to get a hotel to cancel and refund a nonrefundable rate when travel plans changed unexpectedly? That's inconsistent with the rules, too.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Could you expand and clarify this point please ? SPG has been privately selling you Moments packages instead of offering the packages for public sale ?
This is just plain wrong. Moments are underused as-is already and it's a shame some people are dealing under the table.

If OP earns 100x$350x4 starpoints per year as claimed, I don't see how the account Balance issue is realistic.

Overall, I find a sense of overentitlement, starting from the first sentence.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by remymartin
...If OP earns 100x$350x4 starpoints per year as claimed, I don't see how the account Balance issue is realistic.

Overall, I find a sense of overentitlement, starting from the first sentence.
OP also mentioned he uses points for hotel rooms and flights so there is an earn dynamic in addition to the burn dynamic which could mean he had point constraints.

That point of fact aside, OP's highlighting of age, industry, and travel pattern leads me to a similar conclusion around the sense of entitlement.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Yes, also to other friends of mine. You just need to ask them in advance, if you're a platinum/ambassador they (used to) do it.

Don't get why people are giving me .... about that, it's SPG's fault, not mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.