Search

Club Lounge Over Indulging.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:17 pm
BFG
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Club Lounge Over Indulging.

I've visited club lounges hundreds of times. I've been staying at a hotel almost nightly for a couple of months. I've never seen so many people pile several plates of apertizers, take so much "to-go" food and take so many cans of soda at once ever! What's the proper etiquette?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:32 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Proper is to eat in lounge. Grab a bottle of water on exit perhaps
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think the proper etiquette is to sit back and laugh at the people making spectacles of themselves.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:52 pm

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna soak up every dollar in value I can from my SPG points while I can. If that means taking a sip of a San Pellegrino and throwing the rest away, so be it. Cookies? I'll take a bite and leave the rest like a parent trying to prove to their kid that Santa is real. Bottled water, grab five or six and throw em in the carryon. Screw Marriott!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:55 pm
RZR

What do points have to do with this?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:35 pm

I generally agree with the should-behave principle... but I recently looked at the rates for a vanilla room and a club room with lounge access at a hotel with a great lounge spread.

Same room type, double the price. So I believe those who pay for this vs Plats who get it complimentary... well I'm sure they really try to get every cent out of it...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BFG
I've visited club lounges hundreds of times. I've been staying at a hotel almost nightly for a couple of months. I've never seen so many people pile several plates of apertizers, take so much "to-go" food and take so many cans of soda at once ever! What's the proper etiquette?
Not sure what the issue is. Let others be and enjoy the lounge.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by RZR
Proper is to eat in lounge. Grab a bottle of water on exit perhaps
Taking "plates" of food is an issue, but assuming a reasonable amount, why do I need to sit there when I could be working in my room? Or watching what I want on TV vs. what the attendant/crowd decides on?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I might grab a nature valley granola and a water to go but I agree with OP, this has been something I have started to notice much more recently.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:30 pm
RZR

Originally Posted by CPRich
Taking "plates" of food is an issue, but assuming a reasonable amount, why do I need to sit there when I could be working in my room? Or watching what I want on TV vs. what the attendant/crowd decides on?
The issue with this is establishing what the definition of "reasonable" is or would be.
Big can of worms....
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by BFG
Why would you care what others do as long as you have enough to eat or drink yourself?

Cheers,
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Flews
Why would you care what others do as long as you have enough to eat or drink yourself?

Cheers,
^ This
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For whatever reason, there are people who have perfectly decent jobs, aren't starving, and didn't live under food rationing for the past 15 years, who go nutso when they see "free food."

Maybe somebody has written their thesis in Abnormal Psychology on the phenomenon and can explain it.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
I don't drink water, I only drink soda (yes, I know that it isn't particularly healthy) so I always take extra sodas back to my room. I'm not going to drink the bottled water. If I'm on the club floor, I won't take as many as the walk is short. If I'm across property, I'll load up.

Food is a different thing for me. I never take food from the lounge, save a granola bar or apple.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Often1
For whatever reason, there are people who have perfectly decent jobs, aren't starving, and didn't live under food rationing for the past 15 years, who go nutso when they see "free food."

Maybe somebody has written their thesis in Abnormal Psychology on the phenomenon and can explain it.
Every Costco sample worker probably has a PhD on the topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.