Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Elephant, Weimar, Germany (pre-2018 discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Elephant, Weimar, Germany (pre-2018 discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2003, 10:35 am
Ben
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Kempinski Private,HH Gold,Interconti Plat,Sofitel Gold,AmEx Cent, Sixt Plat
Arrow Hotel Elephant, Weimar, Germany (pre-2018 discussion)

LH 738 asked already a question concerning Hotel Elephant in Weimar/Germany. Any experiences, hints regarding this hotel?

Thanks,
Ben.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 3:15 pm

I stayed there in August last year. Like this year they offered a rate of about 100€ (but consider additional costs of about 36€ for bfast for two and 11€ parking)

- the hotel is very good located at the marketplace at the cityhall
(all viewpoints and museums are very close and aswell some restaurants and cafes where you can sit aswell outside)

-even in the very middle of town you can find it easy by car, the parking place is next to the hotel but the cars are hidden

-the hotel is very elegant in its Bauhaus-style and with its new renovated rooms it is really a highlight

-my room (at that time no elite) was looking into the inner court of the house with no view at all, but therefore quiet (at the market place life music) I really liked the design of the room.

-I remember someone helped with the luggage and showed the room, check-in was efficient, but more about the staff I can`t tell.

-the guests of this hotel, which is at the end not so cheap, are more "sophisticated" interested in the cultur of Weimar - that makes a relaxable atmosphere

-as far as I remember bfast was nice (counting the high price together with the room rate as one incl.-price), I more remember the possibility to have the bfast in a nice garden behind the hotel (aswell Gourmet-Restaurant)

-there is a impressive library, if you love cigars that is the ultimative place!

-Elephantenkeller seems to be a famous restaurant, but I preferred to sit outside at the marketplace and join another very historic restaurant next to the hotel - I forgot the name

-enjoy the life of Weimar, there are a lot of events regarding Goethe and Schiller, but also local traditions like "Zwiebelmarkt" (onion-market?), "Toepfermarkt" (ceramics), a lot of cultural, especially musically events due to the city-resources (university, theaters).

By accident we joined years ago a "Weinfest" (vinefestival) in front of the Goethe-House - and I would have loved to stay in the "Elephant" instead of the Hilton far away.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 4:20 am

Hotel Elephant, Weimar

Hotel Elephant, Weimar (Luxury Collection)

Very nice property, has been a hotel for over 300 years with guests like Goethe or Bach. Hotel is right in the heart of Weimar on the market place. Stylish rooms and public spaces in the Bauhaus style which Weimar is famous for. This hotel has a beautiful library!

Was upgraded to a junior suite that looked suspiciously like the grand deluxe room I originally reserved. On the other hand, I found a very nice porcelain elephant in the room, so they certainly recogniced my status. Asked for a room facing the market place, but was told all were sold. Hotel voluntarily offered to move me on my second day, but then I had to depart early for Dresden.

Staff was friendly and efficient with the exception of the night clerk with whom getting 50 euros in cash for the taxi driver was like pulling teeth.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:23 pm

Hotel Elephant, Weimar

Weimar where we stayed at the Elephant, a Sheraton property that formerly was a Kepinski Hotel, and in the more distant pass, housed Adolf Hitler who addressed the crowds from a hotel balcony overlooking the town square. This hotel began serving travelers in about 1536, and was a jewel in a jewel of a town. Mrs. L.P. still raves about the breakfast, and the dining room was superb, providing fine dining one evening, and on the other evening when it was closed ate in the Rathskeller. The Bauhaus movement originated in Weimar, and so the hotel was decorated in the Bauhaus style, as was our suite, room 318. Our room consisted of a living room, and a bedroom, both rather large, as well as a bath. Like Dresden, this hotel was maintained well. I asked about the 500 Point ammenity, and in typical East German folklore, was told that the manager knew nothing about the 500 point ammenity upon checkin, and if the manager did not know about it, it did not exist and it would not happen! This made was some fun conversations we had with the desk clerk during our stay! Again, a top flight hotel that was deserving of its reputation as the best in town. We enjoyed our two nights in this property.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:45 pm Reason: copied section on Hotel Elephant from a review of more hotels
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Hotel Elephant, Weimar (picture report)

In summary, I had a great stay

+ Status recognition
+ Excellent Buffet Breakfast (very high quality of the food)
+ Location
+ nice suite and huge bathroom with Bvlgari amenities
- no wellness center/sauna/pool/fitness center

Picture report:
Hotel Elephant; Weimar
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:30 am

Location: Europe - LH Sen; BA Silver; US SPref; *wd Plat, Hilton Gld
Elephant is one of my favourites - always upgraded to a suite and incredibly nice and friendly staff. Plus, the hotel itself is very charming.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:38 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by LH738
In summary, I had a great stay

+ Status recognition
+ Excellent Buffet Breakfast (very high quality of the food)
+ Location
+ nice suite and huge bathroom with Bvlgari amenities
- no wellness center/sauna/pool/fitness center

Picture report:
Hotel Elephant; Weimar
LH738: I've enjoyed your posts over the years, and now I feel we have finally connected, as you appear to be following our footsteps to the Lily Palmer Suite. What wonderful memories you brought back to my wife and me after a stay at this superb property in September. Mrs. Life_Platinum said that you must have been the first customer that was assigned to "our suite" after we left all the bread crumbs from our lunches served with the same bottle of Chilean wine. It must have taken the hotel months to pick up all these crumbs in the living room that you showed us. We looked on your photo page, but could not see your evaluation--did this hotel get a score of 100 LH738 units? We are planning to be at a hotel that you previously stayed at in the far east, and are relying on knowing how we should interpret your scores based on the Elephant. I'm surprised you didn't take a picture of the fine French champagne that was served at the buffet breakfast, as it was one of the most memorable breakfasts we have had.

Then there was the very East Germanic desk clerk who told me that no matter what Starwood said, her supervisors word in the back office spoke the word of god when it came to how many Starwood points we would get!

Thanks again for your wonderful post and look forward to seeing pictures of your other stays.

Yes, we would go back to the Elephant in a heartbeat!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
LH738: I've enjoyed your posts over the years, and now I feel we have finally connected, as you appear to be following our footsteps to the Lily Palmer Suite. What wonderful memories you brought back to my wife and me after a stay at this superb property in September. Mrs. Life_Platinum said that you must have been the first customer that was assigned to "our suite" after we left all the bread crumbs from our lunches served with the same bottle of Chilean wine. It must have taken the hotel months to pick up all these crumbs in the living room that you showed us. We looked on your photo page, but could not see your evaluation--did this hotel get a score of 100 LH738 units? We are planning to be at a hotel that you previously stayed at in the far east, and are relying on knowing how we should interpret your scores based on the Elephant. I'm surprised you didn't take a picture of the fine French champagne that was served at the buffet breakfast, as it was one of the most memorable breakfasts we have had.

Then there was the very East Germanic desk clerk who told me that no matter what Starwood said, her supervisors word in the back office spoke the word of god when it came to how many Starwood points we would get!

Thanks again for your wonderful post and look forward to seeing pictures of your other stays.

Yes, we would go back to the Elephant in a heartbeat!
I followed your 'breadcrumb trail' (as in the fairy tale Hänsel and Gretel) through Weimar until I arrived in the wonderful hotel. Good to know you had a great time there. Don't worry the suite is clean/in a good condition for you and Mrs. Life_Platinum to return again. Actually, we should keep the hotel as a secret for us to return...
The public areas are also very charming (e.g. restaurants) and I also enjoyed to sit there and "celebrate" the excellent breakfast (French champagne, a lot of (fresh) juices, high quality of the food).

You had a too thourough look at my overview page and detected that I was too lazy with my latest reviews in order to complete the evaluation (~90%)... still some homework ...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:17 am

Very nice report - thanks.
I have been twice in Weimar, and had a look at The Elephant (stayed at the Hilton, which is modern but a little remote, parking is free).
The location of the Elephant is great, but how about parking ($$?)?
Thanks again for this great review and the pictures...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
The location of the Elephant is great, but how about parking ($$?)?
I always arrived by train and cab so I'm not 100% sure about the parking fees: the hotel has parking slots only. As far as I know, a parking slot costs 12EUR a day. There must be a public parking garage (also for hotel Dorint) in the area. I've no idea about the costs.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:31 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thank your for this wonderful trip report ^^ . It seems to be a really nice hotel, and they offer sometimes really good rates.

Beside this, I have begun to read the novel "Lotte in Weimar" four times and never finished it. It is the only book of Thomas Mann I did not like that much.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:12 am

I fully agree: the hotel is very nice.

I was upgraded to a Junior suite (one-night stay in May 2007) with view to the market place. The suite had a separate seating area and a lot of space to store my bags. The bathroom was nice but had the standard luxury collection amenities only.

Unfortunately, the main station is a bit far too walk to. A cab ride is around 8
EUR. There are many restaurants (local food, Italian food; and McDonalds/Burger King for those suffering withdrawal syndrome) around the hotel.

Last edited by HansHaeberle; May 21, 2007 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Eastern Germany

Hotel Elephant Weimar

I stayed there for one night after reading about this hotel on this forum. I was given a junior suite on the 4th floor which had 2 single beds and dormer windows. The location was great on the old Market Square where you can occasionally pick up free wireless Internet connection from the Internet cafe next door.

I liked this hotel enough that I immediately booked another night on my way back from Leipzig. The second night I had a suite on the first floor (one above the ground floor). According to the floor plan, room 118 was right below the Lilli Palmer suite, but with the same 2-room floor plan. This suite felt more like an apartment than a hotel room.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:47 pm Reason: copied review on Hotel Elephant from a longer post about several German hotels
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Pleasant but careful when the weather is hot!

Just returned from a night at the Elephant! It is a incredable hotel for the value. We did park and were charged 14 euro's. Rate at 136 Euro was not bad, upgraded to a mini suite that seemed like a small apartment, however it was in the rear facing a small courtyard shared by a neighboring Black Bear Bistro, with lots of activity until midnight. The reason this was an issue is that the hotel does not have air conditioning. The day we arrived was over 87 degrees and by 11 pm it was 76, not bad but the rooms remained very warm even though we had the windows wide open. Also lots of small flies came into the room with the open windows. We enjoyed the stay, but it could be an issue for some. If you visit the hotel make sure to check out the lobby bathrooms, they are incredable
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

I want to split 3 nights and two full days between here and the Hotel Fuerstenhof in Leipzig. Should I book 2 nights at the Elephant or 2 at the Fuerstenhof?

Does the Elephant still have no AC? How uncomfortable is it likely to be in August? Does the hotel have fans available for guests to use in room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.