Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG, 50 Nights Reward Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Question SPG, 50 Nights Reward Question(s)

First, I will try not to rant; but I had a stay in the Sheraton Tel Aviv in March for 23 nights. I was very frustrated that Starwood didn't inform me at all about the Platinum status challenge I could have accepted (and clearly achieved) for that stay. I recently completed their platinum challenge and have a total of 41 nights this year (only a few nights since becoming Platinum status).

I have an upcoming trip to Seattle where I will be staying for 5 nights in another SPG property, so I will have 46 or 47 total nights for the year.. I am curious if anyone knows about the 50-night in a year reward..

Is it 50 nights AFTER you reach platinum status or just 50 nights in a year overall, despite getting platinum after my 36th night? If I am eligible to receive it (which I believe is 10 suite nights or something) I will likely book a few nights in an A Loft ~ $81 before the end of the year to complete the last remaining nights necessary.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Basically if you stay 50 nights in a calendar year you can choose the reward you want from a pre-defined list. People usually go for the 10 Suite Night Awards.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by lcpteck
........... People usually go for the 10 Suite Night Awards.
On what basis do you know that to be the case?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by clublounger
Well, if you look at any of the discussion threads about the gifts, no one on this forum ever recommends anything else. Admittedly, FT is not a representative sample of the larger hotel-staying population, but it is probably a decently representative sample of the PLT50 population. The TSA Pre check waiver is the worst, because it's only worth $85. The Amazon gift card, UNICEF donation, and Uber certs are equal in value, assuming you can make use of all four $25 Uber vouchers (I'm assuming everyone can find something to buy on Amazon). The UNICEF donation might give you more than $100's worth of happiness and positive vibes, but you can always replicate that feeling for $100 of your own dollars. That leaves two choices with more nebulous value: gift gold status or SNAs.

Gifting gold status might be worth more than $100, but it's difficult to really use optimally. You would have to have someone that you really care about but who doesn't stay with you when you travel. They also need to stay enough nights a year to make the gold status worthwhile, but not 25 nights, or they would earn their own gold status. Maybe if you have an SO who travels on his or her own one weekend a month you could get optimal value out of it.

SNAs, on the other hand, are easy to use and incredibly valuable. If you're the type who would otherwise pay for a suite, then the SNA is worth the exact difference between the most basic room (excluding various special prices which can't be upgraded with SNAs) and the cost of the suite you would have otherwise paid for (this can easily run over a grand per night, saving you over $10k if all are used, or 100x the value of the other gifts). If you wouldn't pay for the cost of the suite, then the perceived value realized to you is somewhat less than that (because you wouldn't have paid the higher price anyway, it's not strictly speaking accurate to count the entire price difference as "savings"). The perceived value is whatever you would have been willing to pay for the suite minus the price of the basic room you upgraded. For example, if the suite is $1k a night, but you wouldn't pay more than $500 for it, and the basic room is $100, then the actual value of your SNA was $900, but the perceived value of it was only $400, because that's the difference between what you did pay and the arbitrary monetary value you place on the suite. Even in this case though, the perceived value of your Suite Night Awards will end up being far more than the $100 in value that the other gifts would give you.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
Well, if you look at any of the discussion threads about the gifts, no one on this forum ever recommends anything else. Admittedly, FT is not a representative sample of the larger hotel-staying population, but it is probably a decently representative sample of the PLT50 population. The TSA Pre check waiver is the worst, because it's only worth $85. The Amazon gift card, UNICEF donation, and Uber certs are equal in value, assuming you can make use of all four $25 Uber vouchers (I'm assuming everyone can find something to buy on Amazon). The UNICEF donation might give you more than $100's worth of happiness and positive vibes, but you can always replicate that feeling for $100 of your own dollars. That leaves two choices with more nebulous value: gift gold status or SNAs.

Gifting gold status might be worth more than $100, but it's difficult to really use optimally. You would have to have someone that you really care about but who doesn't stay with you when you travel. They also need to stay enough nights a year to make the gold status worthwhile, but not 25 nights, or they would earn their own gold status. Maybe if you have an SO who travels on his or her own one weekend a month you could get optimal value out of it.

SNAs, on the other hand, are easy to use and incredibly valuable. If you're the type who would otherwise pay for a suite, then the SNA is worth the exact difference between the most basic room (excluding various special prices which can't be upgraded with SNAs) and the cost of the suite you would have otherwise paid for (this can easily run over a grand per night, saving you over $10k if all are used, or 100x the value of the other gifts). If you wouldn't pay for the cost of the suite, then the perceived value realized to you is somewhat less than that (because you wouldn't have paid the higher price anyway, it's not strictly speaking accurate to count the entire price difference as "savings"). The perceived value is whatever you would have been willing to pay for the suite minus the price of the basic room you upgraded. For example, if the suite is $1k a night, but you wouldn't pay more than $500 for it, and the basic room is $100, then the actual value of your SNA was $900, but the perceived value of it was only $400, because that's the difference between what you did pay and the arbitrary monetary value you place on the suite. Even in this case though, the perceived value of your Suite Night Awards will end up being far more than the $100 in value that the other gifts would give you.

So anecdotal evidence (based on the threads here) and math.

BTW, I agree. (and I followed basically the same logical path to determine the SN choice)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant

Okay......You probably make a good case for something (didn't read such a lengthy repeat of previously discussed benefit analysis).

But, nobody should be stating something as fact without knowing the facts. Maybe icpteck knows for sure. Maybe he'll share how.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
As what BOSTransplant posted.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
But, nobody should be stating something as fact without knowing the facts.
WARNING:
EVERY hotel you'll ever stay in has had incidents of bed bugs.
If I send you my hotel list over the last 22 years of travel, can you provide me the documentation?

Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
If I send you my hotel list over the last 22 years of travel, can you provide me the documentation?

I don't have the time that you clearly do, unfortunately. Keep 'em coming, though. What a waste of time in trying to defend icpteck's post, for which I'd just like to know how he is so certain of that.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Took all of 30 seconds. I'm still curious how you're so CERTAIN (underlined and caps, two of your favorites it seems) stating something that's much less likely to be accurate, since you continue to be so focused on verifying statements made on the internet (which is just plain silly to start with).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
SNA's are especially valuable overseas. I traveled to Italy and received some fantastic upgrades in Rome, Florence and Venice. They were worth well over $1000 and really made our trip special. People complain about lack of SNA availability and I'm sure it happens to some. But my experience overall is roughly 70% with Suite Nights.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich

I've changed my mind - yes, PLEASE gather up your hotel list from the past 22 years. Hopefully THAT will keep you busy for a while.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by cyst
First, I will try not to rant; but I had a stay in the Sheraton Tel Aviv in March for 23 nights. I was very frustrated that Starwood didn't inform me at all about the Platinum status challenge I could have accepted (and clearly achieved) for that stay. I recently completed their platinum challenge and have a total of 41 nights this year (only a few nights since becoming Platinum status).

I have an upcoming trip to Seattle where I will be staying for 5 nights in another SPG property, so I will have 46 or 47 total nights for the year.. I am curious if anyone knows about the 50-night in a year reward..

Is it 50 nights AFTER you reach platinum status or just 50 nights in a year overall, despite getting platinum after my 36th night? If I am eligible to receive it (which I believe is 10 suite nights or something) I will likely book a few nights in an A Loft ~ $81 before the end of the year to complete the last remaining nights necessary.
You'll get the 50-night award when you finish your 50th night stay, no matter how you get your platinum before (I am in same situation as you, did the challenge and get platinum 8 months ago, I completed by 53rd night stay 2 weeks ago and got the gift already)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by fakeman
You'll get the 50-night award when you finish your 50th night stay, no matter how you get your platinum before (I am in same situation as you, did the challenge and get platinum 8 months ago, I completed by 53rd night stay 2 weeks ago and got the gift already)
Correct! You can become platinum in different ways. Challenge is one or sometimes they give it away to media, or do status match etc.. But you will only get the platinum gift, once you reached the 50 nights or the 25 stays.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by cyst
I was very frustrated that Starwood didn't inform me at all about the Platinum status challenge I could have accepted (and clearly achieved) for that stay.
why would they inform you about the challenge????its not something they are obliged to do....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.