Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sign this petition to protect SPG!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
It's extremely simple. If they do not treat SPG customers well, the loyalty they are purchasing will gravitate towards other hotel chains. That should be all the incentives the CEO of the combined company needs...
I certainly hope this is true...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well some of the other hotel chains don't have a great loyalty program either or treat their elites well, so could be hobson's choice.

Cheers. Sharon
Hobson's Choice. Thank you; very valuable new knowledge gained. Very applicable in this type of discussion, especially since most stays are being paid by one's employer.

Mr Griffin, I recommend that you take a writing course. Your high school English teachers should be fired.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:55 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Hobson's Choice. Thank you; very valuable new knowledge gained. Very applicable in this type of discussion, especially since most stays are being paid by one's employer.

Mr Griffin, I recommend that you take a writing course. Your high school English teachers should be fired.
Are you sure you are not a lawyer?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by iflyjetz

It may be possible that English is not the author's first language.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
It may be possible that English is not the author's first language.
I considered that but he used the name Peter Griffin (possible Family Guy fan so can't rule out English not first language) and New York, New York. But every Family Guy fan knows that Peter lives in Quahog, Rhode Island.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:11 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I signed it!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:23 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The petition needs to be edited. It should have a clear and defined purpose.
My first thought was "I wonder if this is the same petition we were scoffing at in the mega thread?", and sure enough it is.

I'm not going to sign this petition, as I believe anyone from those companies or a regulatory body who looks at it would just end up shaking their head, and passing.

It's poorly phrased, and strikes me as a DYKWIA vent more than anything. Take this paragraph for example:

When the acquisition was announced today SPG members were outraged because of the fear that the benefits, uniqueness and elite status of the SPG program will be lost to the impersonal goliath that is Marriott who is known to have an awful membership program that dilutes points, has weak partnerships and does not look to take care of its individual travelers. I assume thats because most of its members are people who have to stay there because their company makes them when they travel for work, so there is no sense of duty to the customer or traveler.
Assume makes an A** out of U and ME.

And how about:

That's why SPG members are pissed. That's why no Marriott members (if thats even a real thing) had anything to say today. And that's why no one is stoked to be part of any Marriott program.
Marriott members are certainly talking and unhappy as well, and as both an SPG and a Marriott member, I can ensure you that the program does indeed exist, and has at least one real person it in (me). As far as corporate enthusiasm, yo dude - I may not be stoked, but like, I'm totally not going to, like, be stoked for any changes to, like, any program for any reason, unless it really adds value, bro. Props to trying - word!

I can't take this petition seriously. No, I don't think I could do a better job myself, but I see no value in adding my name to it.

Last edited by Absolute; Nov 18, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
It's extremely simple. If they do not treat SPG customers well, the loyalty they are purchasing will gravitate towards other hotel chains. That should be all the incentives the CEO of the combined company needs...
I don't think they care. Marriott doesn't treat its own PPs very well and it created that unpublished level itself.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think they care. Marriott doesn't treat its own PPs very well and it created that unpublished level itself.
PP. Worst. Top. Elite. Status. Ever.

The concept is fine, but the execution is woefully lacking. Many FDCs don't know the difference between silver, gold, platinum, diamond, titanium or feculence status in their loyalty program. PP further complicates the mix because I've had a few that thought PP was below Plat.

I had a few properties (JW Las Vegas, JW Lima, and a couple others) give me fantastic suites as a PP that I probably would not have gotten as a regular Plat, but those were rare instances considering I was doing ~130 nights/yr BIB to get to PP.

What PP did do was give me a rare very nice suite upgrade, which was just enough of a taste of the good life that I left MR due to lack of suite upgrades.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
The only petition that matters is the vote of the Marriott and SPG shareholders.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Petitions don't matter. Taking business elsewhere does (but only if thousands do the same thing).

In fact, since Starwood only gets about 50% of its room nights from SPG members, Marriott is most definitely not buying just "loyal" SPG member business.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Lightbulb Nice Effort?

I doubt it the buyer will entertain petition.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As the discussions here are crossing over with those in the SPG/Marriott master thread, I'll close this thread.

You may still, of course, review and sign the OP's petition linked in post #1.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.