Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Fire in my Room! (Four Points - Fairview, IL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire in my Room! (Four Points - Fairview, IL)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP had a four night reservation, but IIRC the fire occurred during the second night, so he/she got a one and a half night stay that was comped (assuming that the hotel gives a two-night refund to the OP's credit card as promised), although I'm confused as IIRC the OP only paid for two nights at the military facility.
fire was on night 3 at the four-points.

original stay at hotel was sun, mon, tues, wed night

the fire was tues night/wed morning. (3rd night at hotel)

military stay was wed morn (very late check in) and wed night, so 2 nights total

talked to hotel today and they said they mistakenly charged me (again) for first 2 nights, so now they will issue a credit for double the charged amount.

still have not received the 4,000 points.

I am staying at the property again this week, hopefully less eventful.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I am staying at the property again this week, hopefully less eventful.
You are a more forgiving person than I am, I cannot imagine ever staying at this property again
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
So let me get this straight:
  • There was a fire in your hotel room.
  • The cause of the fire was a known issue and management had failed to replace the product.
  • You had to get your own room and ended up on a military base.
  • They offered you a lousy 4,000 points and two free nights, you had to ask for reimbursement for the nights you spent out of the hotel and they managed to screw that up

This might be one of the most egregious example of not only a screw-up at the hotel but also piss-poor handling of the situation that I have read on this board and you're staying there again? Forget "forgiving," I'm going to nominate you for sainthood.

Glad you're okay. The world needs more people like you.

Mike
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thank you, I thought I was going crazy as no one else but me seemed to think the OP was getting offered less than he deserved.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Well I'm back at the hotel and the proper credit posted on my Visa card today.

The staff here is very friendly, and I guess you could say I don't sweat the small stuff, or most of the big stuff either!

I really want to complete the Starwood Plat challenge, so that is additional motivation to return here, as it is the only Starwood property in the Metro-East St Louis area. I could have stayed at a Sheraton downtown, but it is additional traffic/driving.

I will be staying in the area 90 days/year so if things work out, I will return here.

If not there is a Fairfield Inn a block away, or the Hyatt if I choose a longer drive and stay downtown.

I'm still waiting for the 4000 points to post, but the front desk agent said it could take a week. They did leave a plate of fruit & cookies and a note of apology in the room, which was a nice gesture.

BTW the maintenance guy at the hotel told me that it was the HVAC motor that burned up.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Sep 1, 2015 at 10:25 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
4000 points, fruit, and cookies (refund should be a given anyway)... wow, you are definitely way more forgiving than I am.

You mentioned that you were on a status challenge. Did you get them to give you credit 4 nights stayed towards that challenge?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I really want to complete the Starwood Plat challenge....
How much do you have to go? Maybe you could ask Starwood corporate (Lurker?) to make you PLT as compensation.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
4000 points, fruit, and cookies (refund should be a given anyway)... wow, you are definitely way more forgiving than I am.

You mentioned that you were on a status challenge. Did you get them to give you credit 4 nights stayed towards that challenge?
I asked the hotel general manager about it and he said he would credit the 4 nights. So far the stay only the first 2 nights have credited.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
How much do you have to go? Maybe you could ask Starwood corporate (Lurker?) to make you PLT as compensation.
Never hurts to ask - it would be nice to get it early. I will be at 10 nights when I check out in a couple days (12 if you include the 2 in question). I will have about 20 nights towards the challenge (15 at this same property) in Aug/Sep/Oct.

Starwood Lurker, what do you think????

Last edited by nachosdelux; Sep 2, 2015 at 11:46 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Does Starwood have a way for a hotel manager to grant status the way some other chains do?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was actually wondering why we hadn't heard from Starwood Lurker and just assumed it was because they weren't allowed to because of negligence concerns when this type of situation happens.

You really deserve something more that what you have been offered in light of everything now known. (like an admitted problem with that particular type of AC unit)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I would imagine this to be a "hot potato", if you will forgive the pun, that unless specifically asked, the Lurkers will stay away. If OP feels their assistance would help resolve an issue, I think a PM or email would be appropriate. I don't expect them to be reading each and every post here.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I think compensation is a thing that is not consistent. At some properties, they know how to handle things, where at other they didnt.

For example, I had a bad stay at thr Grosvenor House in Dubai a few years back. They offered two nights for free and refunded two nights of the stay then. Where recently I was told by a hotel that they won't be able to honor a reservation and I got nothing from the hotel, now I got Starwood involved to ensure this won't happen again.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Where recently I was told by a hotel that they won't be able to honor a reservation and I got nothing from the hotel, now I got Starwood involved to ensure this won't happen again.
Did the hotel burn down or something? If a hotel told me it wouldn't honor a reservation, I'd consider that being walked and want the same compensation.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Did the hotel burn down or something? If a hotel told me it wouldn't honor a reservation, I'd consider that being walked and want the same compensation.
Actually they couldn't open on time. I'm still waiting on a response.

More info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...member-17.html
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I think compensation is a thing that is not consistent. At some properties, they know how to handle things, where at other they didnt.
Deflated expectations, inconsistent compensation for an event that many view as minor, four nights without pay; There's a Tom Brady joke in here somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.