Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Access to SPG employee rate - reason to move from Hhonors to SPG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

I have earned Hilton Diamond status for several years, based on the number of stays (30 per calendar year) - including award stays. An immediate family member now works for SPG, providing access to the employee rate - typically 50% off prevailing rate. I am self-employed, charge about 1/3 of business stays to clients, have premium Hilton credit cards for both personal and business use.

Despite the continued downgrade of Hhonors Diamond benefits, free breakfast is an important one, particularly for leisure and award stays, along with the occasional upgrade. Starwoods seems to have a reasonable footprint for my typical travel pattern, so availability does not appear to be a concern.

While not yet confirmed, my family member believes that no points are earned when using the employee rate, doubtful if such stays count toward status.

For those familiar with both programs - will the savings in hotel stays justify making a switch from Hilton to SPG? I would get the Starwood AMEX card, likely the business card, but not spend the $30k for Gold
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
The first section of the STARHOT T&C's :

"StarHOT provides for discounted rooms at participating hotels for Starwood associates and associates of participating Starwood franchise hotels. This program is for nonbusiness, leisure travel only."

"Family Discounted Room Rates: Discounted room rates will be made available to immediate family members of eligible associates. Immediate family consists of a spouse, domestic partner*, children, siblings, parents and parents-in-laws. Family members receive the same benefit, whether or not they accompany the associate. Any associate who misrepresents the eligibility of an individual to obtain a discount, to which that individual is not otherwise entitled, is subject to discipline, up to and including termination of employment."

As a favor to your immediate family member, you shouldn't discuss publicly if your intention is to use the rate for business purposes.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
i can tell you that the STARfriend rate was worth it 9/10 times--the STARhot rate... well, you can buy a heck of a lot of breakfasts with the money saved
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by diver858
While not yet confirmed, my family member believes that no points are earned when using the employee rate, doubtful if such stays count toward status.
That is correct, it's considered a non-eligible rate for earning status/points. But you do save money though.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
In addition to this being for leisure and not earning points, it is not available for all hotels all of the time. You can't reliably use it anytime, and availability tends to be in low season.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by quinella66
In addition to this being for leisure and not earning points, it is not available for all hotels all of the time. You can't reliably use it anytime, and availability tends to be in low season.
Still for those who are entitled to use these rates, being able to get a room in a good hotel for not much more than the cost of housekeeping is a great opportunity.

BTW, airline nonrev and buddy pass rules typically also specify that these privileges are for leisure travel only and cannot be used for business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.