Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Here's the current language on this benefit from the SPG T&C. Note especially the $10 minimum:
2.2.b. When an SPG Member is not staying at an SPG Participating Hotel, charges incurred by the SPG Member for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to SPG Participating Hotels will be Eligible Charges if:
(i) the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverage on their folios;
(ii) the charges are greater than $10 USD (excluding taxes, gratuities);
(iii) the food and beverage is not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Eligible Charges as provided in Section 2.2.a; and
(iv) the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of payment.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Bump...this hasn't been discussed in 4 years and is no longer listed as a benefit of Gold/Plat membership (as originally posted). Is it still possible to get points for meals at *wood properties when you are not a guest?
If so, is there a certain procedure that works best? Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Smile

YES!!!

5.7. You may also earn Starpoints for food and beverage charges of US$10 or more in Participating Properties’ restaurants even if you are not a registered guest, when you present your Membership card; however, these earnings will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Having breakfast at the Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast a few months ago kept my account from expiring. Our last two holidays were in places that don't have Starwoods-Cook Islands and the jumgles of South America.

This year, we are OK as we are going to the USA and next year we will be in Europe.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Same here, worldwide. In fact, generally at the Westin Jeddah I get points posted before I can drive to my office!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Though this is definitely still a benefit, I haven't had as much luck as others in getting the points posted automatically.

Make sure you keep your restaurant receipt.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:06 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
Though this is definitely still a benefit, I haven't had as much luck as others in getting the points posted automatically.

Make sure you keep your restaurant receipt.
Yes, def. still a benefit but this is good advice. I recently dined at Icon in the W in NY and while I specifically asked the waiter for someone who knew how to input my Starwood number for crediting - and he did - and someone came over and said all set - the points never posted. I FAXed the recipt to Starwood and had points in a day or two.

And this is a benefit for all SPG members.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:23 pm

Yeah I do this all the time.

I always keep the little yellow starwood receipt, but I have only ever had to follow up once out of, say, 20 times. The points normally post in about 48 hours.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
I had dinner down the street at the Westin here in San Francisco. When the check came I inquired about points for the dine as was told no such program exists. Now I checked my Citi Card statement and it appears as the charge is not from the restaurant ( Ducca ) but the Westin itself. Should I just submit the request via SPG.com or call?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I have had a variety of experiences dining at restuarants @ SPG properties when not registered at a guest.

In most cases, staff knows nothing about the program or claims points are not available. In other cases, restaurants are not SPG owned and in fact they do not offer points. This has been a cause of disappointment in many, many cases.

In fact, the only time I can actually recall earning points was at the Ame restaurant in the St Regis San Francisco, where I spent over $600 on dinner for 3, and was told I could get points posted by speaking to the concierge. About 24 hours later, the points were there, at a rate of 3x dollars spent including Plat bonus^^^

I have not bothered following up in other cases due to the small number of points involved and the cluelessness of the staff involved.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:19 pm

This bill was for about $90. I was not going to push it until I noticed Westin San Francisco F&B on my statement. Had the statement simply said Ducca I would have taken it as a loss ( points. ) Anyhow will post the outcome later.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:39 am

Question for William

William - I'm in a similar situation - ate at the Westin Harbor Island Tampa on Aug 13. Gave the bill to the front desk supervisor who assured me the points would post. The cc statement shows as westin hotels harbitampa but no SPG points have posted.

You said in a previous post 'use the missing credit form to report it.' but I can only find a link for missing hotel stays credit on the SPG site. Am I missing something ?.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:19 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by asandrs
...You said in a previous post 'use the missing credit form to report it.' but I can only find a link for missing hotel stays credit on the SPG site. Am I missing something ?.

Thanks,

Andy.
Yes, I think so. Sign into SPG and go to the My Account section. This will be one of your options under the Stays section of that subheading:

Report a Missing Stay (Get Credit)

Personally, I would not use the form that displays. I would use the email contact url instead. That way you can add your details to the comments section free-hand.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I suspect that regardless of whether you use the web form or e-mail, you will get a standard e-mail response back, asking you to send in a copy of the folio (if meal is associated with a stay) or receipt (if meal is NOT associated with a stay). You can fax it or send it by postal mail (to an address in Southern Calif.).

In other words, the e-mail/webform by itself doesn't seem to accomplish much (other than supplying the fax number and postal address to which you send the info). Feel free to post experiences contrary to this.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:01 pm

I received an email back from SPG. They are asking I be more specific about the Westin I dined at in SF as there are several. Also asking for a copy of my CC statement which I copied into the original email. Sent back a response and have not received a response back.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by aa767flyer
I received an email back from SPG. They are asking I be more specific about the Westin I dined at in SF as there are several. Also asking for a copy of my CC statement which I copied into the original email. Sent back a response and have not received a response back.
I'm not surprised that they ignored info that you had already provided in your original e-mail. I think it's SOP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.