Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can't post points - since my friend paid upon checkout

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't post points - since my friend paid upon checkout

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:10 am

This issue comes up from time to time, here is a thread I remember very well - with a lot of answers from the SPG Lurker:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...reditcard.html
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by heakja
This issue comes up from time to time, here is a thread I remember very well - with a lot of answers from the SPG Lurker:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...reditcard.html
Wow. Unbelievable to read SPG's stance on this issue.

Just absurd.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect it was put in place to prevent people from cheating the program, not the other way around. Without it, I could be making reservations every night for everyone I know.
Yeah, it's a failsafe.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, lesson learnt definately. But it's a ridiculous rule. I really do not see why they have such rule in force. When I check in I need to show my passport, etc anyway, and I am also present at check-out, then should it matter which one of us uses his creditcard? I had no idea of this rule so thats why I am surprised. It does not apply to Platinum members only, so I guess they don't put it into force to prevent friends of plats to cheat on platinum benefits....?

I had no idea that when I was nice to my friend and let him pay I was committing a major crime

There are more important issues in the world, but it's still very annoying.

My cc next time then
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, SPG states in their T&Cs that member must stay and pay for the room. An exception is made for direct billed rooms (not master billed).
A few opinions...

1. I've reas the T&Cs and while it says that the room has to be paid for, it absolutely does not say who's name has to be on the credit card. It just says the room has to be paid for to get credit.

2. If the T&Cs say you have to be in the room and pay for it. That means we would never get credit for multiple rooms.

I've done this many times and have gotten credit every time. A good example is when I've gone on Vaca with my wife and we put it on her card. I would have asked t speak to a manager and if there was still a problem, I would have just paid for it. However, I don't get it as by the time you checked out, you've received most of the benefits already (breakfast, upgrade, club lounge, etc.). It's not like the OP booked a room and had someone else stay in it and was looking to get credit. He booked the room with a CC, checked in the room, stayed in the room, the credit card at check in is technically for incidentals.

Part of this does not make sense. What if the room was prepaid?

Last edited by jb3t; Jul 18, 2015 at 6:56 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by jb3t
A few opinions...

1. I've reas the T&Cs and while it says that the room has to be paid for, it absolutely does not say who's name has to be on the credit card. It just says the room has to be paid for to get credit.

Huh??? It says the room must be paid for BY THE MEMBER:

two base Starpoints and one bonus Starpoint for Eligible Charges at SPG Participating Hotels for each US dollar or the currency equivalent that is incurred and paid for by the SPG Member if he/she is a Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by clublounger
You "think" it's within the rules??? "Seems ok to" you???

I hope nobody is paying attention to such nonsense.
Given no one can say 100% (even SPG) as there is nothing against it either. All we have here are opinions. And you are certainly entitled to yours.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
A few opinions...

2. If the T&Cs say you have to be in the room and pay for it. That means we would never get credit for multiple rooms.

I've done this many times and have gotten credit every time. A good example is when I've gone on Vaca with my wife and we put it on her card. I would have asked t speak to a manager and if there was still a problem, I would have just paid for it. However, I don't get it as by the time you checked out, you've received most of the benefits already (breakfast, upgrade, club lounge, etc.). It's not like the OP booked a room and had someone else stay in it and was looking to get credit. He booked the room with a CC, checked in the room, stayed in the room, the credit card at check in is technically for incidentals.

Part of this does not make sense. What if the room was prepaid?
Yes, who's CC used to pay for the room does sound strange and we may never know the real reason behind it, but it is as it is. Fortunately, they do not scour the folio to make sure all payments are made by the member so as long as you close out the bill with your card you should be good to go. Yes, there will be zealous agents that may take exception to any other payments, but that's the risk you run dealing with people.

As for the multiple rooms, the T&Cs still read the member must stay in one of the rooms (not that I've ever known a property to do a bed check) and pay for the rooms to get credit. Here again, as long as your payment is the last one on the folio, there should not be any issue.

As for the prepaid room situation, if there are no other expenses to be settled, you are absolutely good to go as far as payment goes. However, if there are any incidentals charged to the room and the last payment is not made by the member, then you risk losing any credit for the stay.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Huh??? It says the room must be paid for BY THE MEMBER:

two base Starpoints and one bonus Starpoint for Eligible Charges at SPG Participating Hotels for each US dollar or the currency equivalent that is incurred and paid for by the SPG Member if he/she is a Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest
Here's the T&Cs (you may be looking at something else). It's really not clear.

B. A "Stay" is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same SPG Participating Hotel by an SPG Member who: (A) provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays an Eligible Rate or, for stays on or after October 1, 2011, redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms. If an SPG Member checks out of a guest room and then checks back in to a guest room at the same SPG Participating Hotel on the same day, it will count as a single stay for purposes of calculating Stays. An SPG Member may only earn Starpoints, Eligible Nights and Eligible Stays for up to three guest rooms during any Stay <b>if he/she stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays an Eligible Rate or, for stays on or after October 1, 2011, redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward for all of the guest rooms.<\b>

When you book a room, you hold it with a credit card (that is presumably the members). When you check in, the credit card you give is supposed to be for incidentals (at least that's what they say). IMO, I am not gaming the system if I stay at a hotel with my wife and slap down her CC at check-in. That's a bit rediculous.

I stayed 133 nights last year, the above happened (me paying for the room with my wife's CC) more than a handful of times, never had a problem. If It did I would talk to the manager.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the T&Cs (you may be looking at something else). It's really not clear.

B. A "Stay" is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same SPG Participating Hotel by an SPG Member who: (A) provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays an Eligible Rate or, for stays on or after October 1, 2011, redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms. If an SPG Member checks out of a guest room and then checks back in to a guest room at the same SPG Participating Hotel on the same day, it will count as a single stay for purposes of calculating Stays. An SPG Member may only earn Starpoints, Eligible Nights and Eligible Stays for up to three guest rooms during any Stay <b>if he/she stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays an Eligible Rate or, for stays on or after October 1, 2011, redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward for all of the guest rooms.<\b>

When you book a room, you hold it with a credit card (that is presumably the members). When you check in, the credit card you give is supposed to be for incidentals (at least that's what they say). IMO, I am not gaming the system if I stay at a hotel with my wife and slap down her CC at check-in. That's a bit rediculous.

I stayed 133 nights last year, the above happened (me paying for the room with my wife's CC) more than a handful of times, never had a problem. If It did I would talk to the manager.
Yes, the use of a spouse's card should also qualify. Although exceptions exist, spouses usually have the same last name so that may be the extent of the checking. I do believe SPG should drop the requirement of member paying to eliminate any issues with overzealous agents saying company credit cards, gift cards, or other such instruments prohibit earning credit. This could be their way of trying to prove member was present which says they don't trust the FDCs being able to check IDs (as they should be doing regardless) and checking a box on-screen to confirm. Yet they do allow them to override the rate being eligible or not. Confusing and frustrating to say the least.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Just throwing a curveball here: what about cash payments? I always pay cash in Argentina as you can save up to 40% by doing so (thanks to black market rates). Not uncommon to use cash in Switzerland and Japan also.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER

The pay one dollar plan actually would work and is within the rules I think. The OP would receive platinum amenity and stay/night credit. Seems ok to me.
I believe it would work only if that is the last CC used and the one the bill is closed to. If they charge that CC 1st for $1 and then settle and close the bill out to the other CC, you still may not earn anything since the bill wasnt settled to the acct holders CC but to another persons
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa
Just throwing a curveball here: what about cash payments? I always pay cash in Argentina as you can save up to 40% by doing so (thanks to black market rates). Not uncommon to use cash in Switzerland and Japan also.
Cash is KING! Should be NO PROBLEM using cash/traveler's checks/gift cards. I'm not sure the exact method they use to identify using someone else's CC, if it's done in the back office or something done by the FDC upon check out.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Cash is KING! Should be NO PROBLEM using cash/traveler's checks/gift cards. I'm not sure the exact method they use to identify using someone else's CC, if it's done in the back office or something done by the FDC upon check out.
I agree about the ca$h as for TCs dont they have the name of the person who purchased them on it so if John Jones signed them and Chuck Q public uses them to pay for the room and get the credit it may not work if the hotel employee notices that. As for GCs it probably will work if the hotel acepts them and there isnt any name on them. But handing over GCs with a different name embossed on them is the same as using someones CC or TCs
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, the use of a spouse's card should also qualify.
But, as we know from other threads, this doesn't always work. If my wife checks in first, I always make sure to change it to one of my cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.