Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has W, Better Yet, SPG, Jumped the Shark?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
IMO the W ATL Midtown is heads & shoulders above the W ATL Buckhead (IMO just about the worst W out there).

I've done 20...I'd say my top 3 are;
- Barcelona (location!)
- Dallas (new build IIRC...always nicer)
- Mexico City (post-reno)

And my bottom 3 are:
- ATL Buckhead (room décor is awful)
- ATL Perimeter (though I heard the LM in its place is now better)
- Chi Lakeshore (though I haven't been there post-reno)

Agreed big-picture though that the W is falling behind, esp. given the rising pricepoints
The Service at the W Buckhead and Downtown are better than the W Midtown, BUT, the W Midtown has great platinum recognition and better location.

The W Buckhead, due to its decor, is like womens hotel and they have very few suites and the location is not great for my needs. W Downtown, again, very few suites and the rooms aren't that big. The pool and gym are small.

W chicago lakeshore has, in the past, been a fail pit for me! I loathe it more the Four Points Miami Beach.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

So back to my original question, has W, or better yet, SPG, jumped the shark?
Mr. B:

Step into my office

Anyone using that expression is not in W's targeted demographic.

Exactamundo.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by clublounger
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

So back to my original question, has W, or better yet, SPG, jumped the shark?
Mr. B:

Step into my office

Anyone using that expression is not in W's targeted demographic.

Exactamundo.
I had to Google "jump the shark" I think the W brand can reinvent itself with some minor changes. Give Platinum free full breakfast for up to 4 guests would be a good start.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED

Personally, I no longer think Ws are "special". Klimpton, Thomson, Gansevort and Morgan's properties have eclipsed the W in Coolness, Style and amenities.

In some cases loyalty programs have better benefits or individual properties go above and beyond to make a guest feel special.

Starwood, at one point, had the upper-hand because of the SPG loyalty program. Then the competition heated up:
  • Hilton tried to launch a competing brand
  • Hyatt launched Andaz
  • Recenlty Marriott introduced the Edition & Autograph properties, which have been receiving rave reviews.

All of this has made W less appealing on various levels, because there are now more choices. and SPG has done nothing to separate itself from the pack at W hotels.

SPG was first out the gate with a new hip brand, but they are now longer the king of the hill.
I agree! I am SPG Plat (aiming for LTP) and Hyatt Diamond and the W's really are boring compared to Andaz. Even the Autograph in Lisbon had a sense of style W's can only dream of! (Mind you, the Autograph style may not have been my taste, I could see its aesthetics and uniqueness).

W cannot or will not innovate and TBH, the CS I have had from Ws (Austin, Seattle, NY) are really poor when compared to Andaz.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by neuron
I agree! I am SPG Plat (aiming for LTP) and Hyatt Diamond and the W's really are boring compared to Andaz. Even the Autograph in Lisbon had a sense of style W's can only dream of! (Mind you, the Autograph style may not have been my taste, I could see its aesthetics and uniqueness).

W cannot or will not innovate and TBH, the CS I have had from Ws (Austin, Seattle, NY) are really poor when compared to Andaz.
Do you mean SPG Platinum?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:28 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by neuron

Personally, I no longer think Ws are "special". Klimpton, Thomson, Gansevort and Morgan's properties have eclipsed the W in Coolness, Style and amenities.

In some cases loyalty programs have better benefits or individual properties go above and beyond to make a guest feel special.

Starwood, at one point, had the upper-hand because of the SPG loyalty program. Then the competition heated up:
  • Hilton tried to launch a competing brand
  • Hyatt launched Andaz
  • Recenlty Marriott introduced the Edition & Autograph properties, which have been receiving rave reviews.

All of this has made W less appealing on various levels, because there are now more choices. and SPG has done nothing to separate itself from the pack at W hotels.

SPG was first out the gate with a new hip brand, but they are now longer the king of the hill.

I also agree. Maybe they are planning to convert all W's to le meridiens. In the mean time there is no excuse for sub par attitudes/service at a lot of the current W's.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Do you mean SPG Platinum?
both. I have Starwood Platinum and Hyatt Diamond.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:05 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That would be the one I was thinking of
Actually I think Buckhead could be worse. To me some of the rebranding from formerly mediocre brands and properties have hurt the chain. Look at places like W Mexico, W Barcelona, and W Hong Kong and you will see fabulous properties. Look at the Atlanta conversions and you will see properties that don't come close to comparing.

Edited to add: When I was in school on Lake Shore Drive the W Lake Shore was a crappy Days Inn. At some point you will only make it so good.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER

I also agree. Maybe they are planning to convert all W's to le meridiens. In the mean time there is no excuse for sub par attitudes/service at a lot of the current W's.
I'd be a big fan of that plan if they'd be anything like the LM Philly & Tampa!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:42 pm

I've never been a fan of Ws, so for me the question is a mute point.

As for SPG jumping the shark, for my travel preferences, I've never enjoyed so many wonderful upgrades and amenities at so many excellent properties as I am enjoying today.

So, no, for me, my answer is what's not to like?

Cheers,
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
The newer Ws are largely ok - Barcelona, St Petersburg, Taipai, Paris etc. I just ignore the forced attempts they make to portray themselves as stylish - after all true style grows organically.

I also petulantly refuse to use terms like "wheels" etc and use the old terms like valet parking. The twenty somethings still appear to understand what I mean.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
W jumped the shark before the first one ever opened. But I'm still a great fan of SPG.

Originally Posted by Flews
for me the question is a mute point.
Moot, not mute...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
I agree there are some great Ws and some not so great ones.

All the really great ones that have stood out for me are in Asia - W Bali, W Hong Kong, W Singapore.... They're some of my favourite hotels ever. Plus I am sure Maldives (which I haven't stayed at yet). Many new Ws opening in Asia in the next few years and I will certainly chose to stay in them.

Most Ws in the US are now getting pretty old. For example, I have been at W lakeshore post reno, just 3 weeks ago, and whilst it is a bit better then before, it is mainly cosmetic and in no way comparable to for example the W Hong Kong (which it should be!).

Europe can be hit and miss. Newer and fresher than the US ones overall, but perhaps less consistent. I can't stand the W London for example.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't see any problems with SPG - it has pluses and minuses, the same can be said for every brand otherwise we'd all be members of the same program and FT would be rather boring. The lack of total control over franchisees can lead to both better results or far lesser results depending on the attitude of the property owner, maybe Hyatt is better or at least more consistent because they have more control over product delivery, I don't know.

What I do know is I've always found the W brand, at least in the USA, to be pompous, flashy, arrogant and just over the top, and certain locations (Chicago, South Florida) are worse than others - but by and large the W brand was a flash in the pan that was still left to sizzle in the pan far too long. I can count one W property I've ever visited that got everything right in its ability to cater to a diverse group of guests and balance fun and luxury without pretense or attitude - the W Taipei.

Parties, flash, noise and attitude are for bars and clubs, not hotels. I want a comfortable, cozy, well designed, spotlessly clean and nicely maintained space where I can rest comfortably and quietly and where my needs and expectations as a brand loyalist are anticipated and rewarded.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
So funny. Several other posters beat me to the punch but as soon as someone wrote 'low-end W", the Atlanta Midtown popped immediately into my head...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.