Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Will Starwood be the first U.S. Company to open a property in Cuba?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Starwood be the first U.S. Company to open a property in Cuba?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Question Will Starwood be the first U.S. Company to open a property in Cuba?

The company did not react very fast in Myanmar, although it is very well established in neighboring Thailand, China and India.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We're all guessing, but no, Starwood will not be the first U.S.-based hotel company to open a property in Cuba. I'll go further and state that I expect Marriott to have opened four properties before Starwood opens its first.

Look at the global footprints and property counts of IHG/Marriott/Hilton compared to Starwood. It's three or four to one.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Historically, what American or other chain hotels were there in Cuba?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:36 am

Well, Hotel Habana Libre, Havana's most symbolic hotel, was built as the Habana Hilton in 1958.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's a moot point until Congress lifts the embargo as it's still illegal to open a US hotel there.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by heakja
Well, Hotel Habana Libre, Havana's most symbolic hotel, was built as the Habana Hilton in 1958.
Great sense of timing....!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:22 pm

The two American chains in Cuba before the revolution were Hilton (Habana Hilton/today's Hotel Habana Libre) and Intercontinental (as it was then known) (Hotel Nacional de Cuba). There weren't really any other big international hotel chains at the time except Sheraton.

I remember reading that Sheraton was exploring opening a hotel there in 58/59. They opened the Puerto Rico-Sheraton (today's San Juan Marriott) soon after the Cuban revolution, and it looks a LOT like the pre-revolution Havana resorts, so I've always wondered if perhaps it was a building designed for Havana and then re-purposed for San Juan.

Right now very few international chains are there, due to the US embargo, which also extends to any foreign companies that do business in the US as I understand it.
-Accor has a property (Mercure Sevilla)
-Sol Melia runs the old Habana Hilton (Tryp Habana Libre), along with many other properties across Cuba
-NH Hotels recently took over the restored Hotel Capri
There are a few other Spanish chains (Iberostar, etc) which also have hotels on the island.

Last edited by James Luckard; Dec 20, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.