Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

No Platinum upgrade at Aloft/Element - Has this changed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:49 am
MKB
Original Poster

The page at https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...inum#InnerPage and the detailed T&Cs at https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ERMS_PROMOTION no longer make any mention of the Platinum upgrade benefit not being applicable at Element and Aloft hotels.

Is this a change or a mistake?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One principle to follow is that marketing will promote benefits, not non-benefits.

The Full terms link page still shows the aloft and Element room upgrade exclusions.

http://www.spgpromos.com/fullterms/?...MS_CREDS_TERMS
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've gotten some upgrades at both element and aloft, so it's not like it never happens buy YMMV as it's not a published program benefit.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
I've gotten upgrades at Elements all two times I stayed at one (wish there were more, I like Element).

Never once gotten upgraded at an aLoft. In fact, that former W in Newark CA used to upgrade me to a Studio Suite pretty consistently, but now that it's an aLoft, I've gotten nothing.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've received upgrades at the aloft hotels I've stayed at (but always outside the US). As mentioned, it's not a published benefit however.

Of course, there are countless examples of people not getting upgrades at Westin, Sheraton, etc. when that IS a published benefit.

Essentially there are hoteliers everywhere who try to treat elites well, and others who don't care. YMMV...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:02 pm

Element in Las Vegas has all the same rooms, the presidential suite is just 2 connecting rooms and they are laid out a little weird (not quite a presidential suite, really).

More often than not, Aloft hotels seem to have 1 room type only. Only some of the more key locations have a suite.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by factory81
Element in Las Vegas has all the same rooms, the presidential suite is just 2 connecting rooms and they are laid out a little weird (not quite a presidential suite, really).

More often than not, Aloft hotels seem to have 1 room type only. Only some of the more key locations have a suite.
That's true, Aloft Kuala Lumpur Sentral have 2 Suite types available. I remember reading that someone got an upgrade to them using SNAs.

Last edited by lcpteck; Dec 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm Reason: bold typo
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:21 am

Ha, I had no idea that this was in the T&Cs! Been upgraded at aloft Panama City and I think at Element Lexington Mass(?)

Now that I know, it is yet another reason for me to avoid the aloft brand.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Who cares about upgrades when you have a robotic butler?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Or when you're gold.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by andreirublev
... In fact, that former W in Newark CA used to upgrade me to a Studio Suite pretty consistently, but now that it's an aLoft, I've gotten nothing.
The L-shaped studio suite is the entry level room there, same as when it was a W and when it was W | Suites, the abandoned concept.

When it was a W, they had categories for slightly different sized versions of the same room and corner rooms which were even larger, but as an Aloft, there's just one category for the entry level studio room (with sub-category for ADA compliant rooms and different bedding options). Even the smallest one is huge there. If you want an upgrade there, it would be to one of the few one bedroom, 2 bath suites. It's pretty rare to get that upgrade there if your stay includes mid-week nights.

It's a bit of an outlier because it wasn't purpose built as an Aloft or a W.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 19, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I was just upgraded to a Breezy room at Aloft Bangkok. And when I entered the room is was exactly the same as every other room I've stayed in at the hotel. EXACTLY.

Including the one packet of coffee they've been giving since they cut down from two early this year.

So to this extent I received a non-upgrage-upgrade.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
How many Aloft properties even have suites? I think the Cupertino one does, and maybe the Nashville West End since it used to be an Indigo.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
It's news to me that aloft even has suites. Guess I'm staying at the wrong alofts...
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (4.4M), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Global Entry, Trusted Traveler
Dallas aloft has suites

Stayed in a suite in the dallas aloft last week. Of what they call a suite. It's really just a great big room with a extra sitting area and a pull out couch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.