Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
I'm going to agree that we have some pretty jaded people in here.

1) (Continue to) treat the hotel staff with respect. Do not be a "DYKWIA", or you too will surely become quite jaded...

2) Be realistic. You're not their only guest, and you're not their only Plat. If you're staying for 2 weeks and don't get an upgrade you feel you should get, then ask for an upgrade during your stay as availability frees up.

3) European and Asian properties tend to treat Plats far better. If you're staying overseas frequently you'll be in good shape.

4) I've stayed at Westins for one night and not received an upgrade , while I've had 2-week stays at a Four Points, and been upgraded to Suites multiple times. My point? Don't expect anything, and be happy with what you get.

5) If you really, really want Top-Floor-Presidential-Mega-Super-Awesome-Suite? Pay for it. Upgrades are not guaranteed. SNA's are not guaranteed. If you care that much about getting an upgrade, pay for it.

Maybe I don't have high expectations, but I definitely remember the days when I was without status, and the room I paid for was ALWAYS the room I received. No better. Ever. The way I see it, one way or the other, I'm spending 60+ nights/yr in a hotel room. Platinum benefits are simply an occasional bonus to keep me staying with SPG. Nothing more. Maybe I'm stupid, but I'd rather be stupid and happy with what I get rather than jaded and angry.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Here, here! Great minds (and happy people) think alike. Well said.

Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
I'm going to agree that we have some pretty jaded people in here.

1) (Continue to) treat the hotel staff with respect. Do not be a "DYKWIA", or you too will surely become quite jaded...

2) Be realistic. You're not their only guest, and you're not their only Plat. If you're staying for 2 weeks and don't get an upgrade you feel you should get, then ask for an upgrade during your stay as availability frees up.

3) European and Asian properties tend to treat Plats far better. If you're staying overseas frequently you'll be in good shape.

4) I've stayed at Westins for one night and not received an upgrade , while I've had 2-week stays at a Four Points, and been upgraded to Suites multiple times. My point? Don't expect anything, and be happy with what you get.

5) If you really, really want Top-Floor-Presidential-Mega-Super-Awesome-Suite? Pay for it. Upgrades are not guaranteed. SNA's are not guaranteed. If you care that much about getting an upgrade, pay for it.

Maybe I don't have high expectations, but I definitely remember the days when I was without status, and the room I paid for was ALWAYS the room I received. No better. Ever. The way I see it, one way or the other, I'm spending 60+ nights/yr in a hotel room. Platinum benefits are simply an occasional bonus to keep me staying with SPG. Nothing more. Maybe I'm stupid, but I'd rather be stupid and happy with what I get rather than jaded and angry.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
Fine as long as they treat me with respect. Treating me with respect means not lying to me and telling me that all suites are full when suites are available. Treating me with respect means honoring the GUARANTEED 4pm late checkout benefit...

Agree in general. Although even in Europe there are some properties that treat Plats shabbily.

Don't expect anything, and be happy with what you get.
Terrible, terrible advice in my opinion. Would "Expect nothing and be happy with what we give you" be a compelling slogan for SPG? I think not. I would rather expect that SPG live up to the spirit of what it says it will do for Platinums.

Otherwise, why not just F- the status game altogether and stay at better non-SPG properties, perhaps for less money, where having no status at all still nets an outstanding room and great experience?

Last edited by Herb687; Nov 27, 2014 at 12:46 pm Reason: edit
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by factory81
I don't believe a SPG ambassador or whatever will help me get around a sold out hotel and having the rack rate available as my only option.

[snip]

Unless they are literally watching my account and looking for leisure bookings to send more chocolates, wine, and cheese platters up to my room. In which case - I am all cool with them making my life better as I book things and passively experience these welcoming things when I enter the room.

I've experienced both of these with my Ambassador. They can't make the change to rack rate and sold out happen all the time. But if you are a frequent guest at a property they can sometimes.

And even in first-time stays at properities when not having interacted with my ambassador, I often see the evidence that she was in to up with them.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Platinum tips & tricks

OP,

check out the reviews on that specific property done by plats in spg.com.
If the reviews are great (suite upgrades, staffs, etc.), then you may expect more and no harm for you asking an upgrade upon check-in if you didnt automatically get one.

But if the reviews from plats are dismal, then just lower your expectations, espcially when it comes to suite upgrades.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by supatight80
But if the reviews from plats are dismal, then just lower your expectations, espcially when it comes to suite upgrades.
I agree that this board is a great resource. The more detailed reports that we can post in the property master threads the more complete a picture we all have into which properties are really good and which are really bad.

But if the reviews from Plats are dismal, I would suggest that instead of lowering your expectations, you find a different property. Hit these bad properties where it hurts and do not give them business.

Status is not so important that I would put up with a dismal property just for the sake of maintaining status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.