Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Made Platinum now what?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Made Platinum now what?

I just made SPG Plat. what does that really get me? Not sure its any different from GOLD. Am I missing something?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Yeah it's underwhelming.

Theoretically gets you upgrades to suites..... except you'll find every hotel you check into tries to avoid giving you a suite unless you make an uncomfortable scene where you have to pull out your phone to show they're still selling suites and insist you should be given one of those per the program's advertised benefits.

You do get a (better) welcome gift AND free internet rather than either/or.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by orli-flier
........ Am I missing something?
Yes....other threads discussing this very topic.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
now what? profit
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by ajeleonard

Theoretically gets you upgrades to suites..... except you'll find every hotel you check into tries to avoid giving you a suite unless you make an uncomfortable scene where you have to pull out your phone to show they're still selling suites and insist you should be given one of those per the program's advertised benefits.
This statement is false. Maybe in USA where there's a high concentration of plats, but most starwood properties worldwide are pretty good with platinum benefit suite/best available room upgrades.

Not including LM Cyberport where theres only 2 suites in the hotel, my ytd success rate is 78.57% and no i dont make a scene. Plat upgrades are pre-upgraded a day prior or prior to check-in anyhow.

Last edited by supatight80; Oct 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by supatight80
Maybe in USA where there's a high concentration of plats, but most starwood properties worldwide are pretty good with platinum benefit suite/best available room upgrades.
Even in the US and Canada, my suite upgrade rate has been quite good. And I've never pulled the DYKWIA card.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:36 pm

I agree the platinum suite upgrade is non-existent at best anymore. Even properties such as the Westin Diplomat in Fort Lauderdale have given up on the perk. SPG platinum has steadily declined over the past several years. Jumping ship to Marriott. More properties, upgrades, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
In Asia my suite upgrade is 100% for about 50 hotel stays.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by chelly1540
I agree the platinum suite upgrade is non-existent at best anymore. Even properties such as the Westin Diplomat in Fort Lauderdale have given up on the perk. SPG platinum has steadily declined over the past several years. Jumping ship to Marriott. More properties, upgrades, etc.
AFAICS you are talking about USA and only about USA...

My upgrade rate in Europe is 100 %.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

I just made SPG Plat. Not sure its any different from GOLD. Am I missing something?
Yes:
- auto upgrades (e-mail ahead if you want to re-assure);
- auto bonus points;
- Plat amenity with each stay;
- complimentary calls;
- guaranteed late check-out/early check-in;
- guaranteed room availability.

As others have said, do your homework and you will figure it out. I now have a hard time justifying FP Plat and HH Gold, given what Starwood offers.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I just made SPG Plat. what does that really get me? Not sure its any different from GOLD. Am I missing something?
This summarises the incremental benefits you get as a Platinum. Are any of these worth anything to you ?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Succinctly, PLT suite upgrade success rates vary markedly by region. Asia/Pacific has a much better success rate than the U.S., for example. So one of the primary factors for you will be: Where are most of your hotel stays?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Succinctly, PLT suite upgrade success rates vary markedly by region. Asia/Pacific has a much better success rate than the U.S., for example. So one of the primary factors for you will be: Where are most of your hotel stays?
Right, since there are tons of Plats in the US there is not a lot you can expect. Different in Europe and Asia.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Yes:
- auto upgrades (e-mail ahead if you want to re-assure);
- auto bonus points;
- Plat amenity with each stay;
- complimentary calls;
- guaranteed late check-out/early check-in;
- guaranteed room availability.

As others have said, do your homework and you will figure it out. I now have a hard time justifying FP Plat and HH Gold, given what Starwood offers.
What guaranteed early check in? Also, what free phone calls?

You forgot free internet. And Plat Concierge.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I've been Plat for 10 years and will make it for 2015 next week. I have a fantastic upgrade record, and the last few hotels I've been to have treated me quite special. I guess maybe it depends where you stay? Be sure to ask at check-in if no UG has been assigned, but I've rarely NOT been upgraded. I've stayed in suites all year, getting upgraded in NYC, Cancun, Detroit, Chicago, Hawaii, etc. In fact I've been upgraded in ADVANCE for my stay next week in Orlando.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. Luckily for me, it's more often than not. I'm getting close to my Lifetime Plat status (already made Gold) and I guess I'd say that's next for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.