Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Ask About Suite Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
On 80% of my SPG stays this year I had to really push for the suite upgrade. In the past I've had much better success automatically.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

Little anecdote, I was given HH Diamond this year by virtue of being BA GGL. Upon my first Hilton stay this week upgraded to a stunming beachfront suite (Mauritius) without asking.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hilarious--but not as shocking as you might think it would be. But I do hope to learn your travel plans and that I stay in the same hotels!
Hey, and if they upgrade me on the plane, you can have my seat as well!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by banzani
Little anecdote, I was given HH Diamond this year by virtue of being BA GGL. Upon my first Hilton stay this week upgraded to a stunming beachfront suite (Mauritius) without asking.
I have always had suite uogrades at the Hilton MRU however across the chain as a whole this is very uncommon in my 12 years as a Diamond.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
No, I don't ask. Upgrades this year 100 % so far.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I always check the SPG app to confirm a standard suite isn't available.
How are you doing this : have you found any functionality in the app which denotes which suites are 'standard' ?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm unusual, though not alone: I really don't like suites. (If you want to understand my psychology, PM me. )

I recently got assigned to real monster - it must have been 1500 square feet. I decided to leave that one for someone else who would enjoy/appreciate. I'm much happier in 269sf.
I understand the sense that one needs to check carefully that nothing has been left behind in a monster suite---still, I'll gladly accept that inconvenience, even if just to see what a good suite at the hotel looks like. The decor and features can be very interesting in some places.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I ask if my stay is longer than a night or two. It almost never matters - even if suites show as available on the website for booking I'm told that's a mistake. However, certain times I've made a big stink about it and viola, a suite mysteriously became available (Sheraton HK & Towers for example). I only push when I really want a suite or when I feel I'm not being treated properly. I find it ridiculous when I see suites are available (yes, the low end ones avail for upgrade) and yet I'm not given it.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I ask if my stay is longer than a night or two. It almost never matters - even if suites show as available on the website for booking I'm told that's a mistake. However, certain times I've made a big stink about it and viola, a suite mysteriously became available (Sheraton HK & Towers for example). I only push when I really want a suite or when I feel I'm not being treated properly. I find it ridiculous when I see suites are available (yes, the low end ones avail for upgrade) and yet I'm not given it.
Yeah, HK Sheraton Kowloon, I used to stay there all the time but now never again. They treat you as if you're a nausiance rather than a value guest.

Same for Sheraton Taipei, very cold services and never an upgrade.

I guess between them they are so overwhelmed by Chinese tour groups that they can care less about individual guests.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Quick question - does anyone know if there is a difference between the suites available for SNA upgrades and the suites available for Platinum comp upgrades? I was under the impression they were the same - but another friendly poster thinks otherwise. Just wondering (as I currently use the SNA available possibilities to identify whether suites are avail when I show up).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

I think they're supposed to be the same. However, for SNAs it seems to be an automated process whereas for hotel upgrades discretionary upgrades to other (better) suites may happen via the people working the reservations or front desk at the hotel.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:31 pm

Quick question - does anyone know if there is a difference between the suites available for SNA upgrades and the suites available for Platinum comp upgrades? I was under the impression they were the same - but another friendly poster thinks otherwise. Just wondering (as I currently use the SNA available possibilities to identify whether suites are avail when I show up).
This was argued before and the veterans here claimed they are the same (do realized in FT unless the powers to be come out and say it, it is all our best guesses based more on empirical evidences rather than real insiders information.)

I don't know about the part that hotel upgrades are "discretionary" and may even land you a bigger suite. Just seems to me like SNA is you, with SPG got your back, of demanding the hotel to honor your upgrade benefit with confirmation, vs. without SNA you're really just counting on the hotel to play nice and actually honor the rules of benefits for Plat imposed by SPG.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:50 pm

[Deleted]

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Nov 2, 2014 at 10:15 pm Reason: Same as above post
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (MM), AA Lifetime Platinum (MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond,
It really is surprising that with an SPG policy as clear as " best available room at check in including Standard Suites" that relatively few properties offer up the "family jewels" without a gentle push (excepting of course, properties with whom you stay frequently and develop a relationship). In a perfect world, you have earned the upgrade through years of loyalty and should not have to play cat and mouse. That being said, unlike with the airlines who strictly prioritize upgrades, all to often: "Don't ask...don't get" applies. SPG should do a better job of insisting on compliance by its properties.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME in *some* hotels, there can be higher suites available to be selected for SNA than in the regular Plat upgrade pool but YMMV. Also, IME some hotels might voluntarily assign you to a higher suite category if you're using SNAs or have requested (failed) SNAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.