Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood changed the terms of my booking!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Starwood changed the terms of my booking!

I made a booking for NYE in March for a rack, completely flexible rate, no deposit, no extra terms. A month or so later I noticed (when checking a new booking) that rate was no longer available, and all NYE bookings were pre-paid.

Today I discovered the hotel decided to charge the full 3 nights to my credit card (I don't know if it's an authorisation or a charge at this stage). $2,500 ...

It's suspicious because I had not been able to view my booking on the site: there was some "error". When I cancelled the booking, they included a copy of my reservation, but it was with the NEW (i.e. current) terms

Very shady if you ask me. All I have been told is that if I forward the email to the hotel they will "honour" (how generous) my terms in that email.

I want to believe it was just an honest mistake...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by switch007
I made a booking for NYE in March for a rack, completely flexible rate, no deposit, no extra terms. A month or so later I noticed (when checking a new booking) that rate was no longer available, and all NYE bookings were pre-paid.

Today I discovered the hotel decided to charge the full 3 nights to my credit card (I don't know if it's an authorisation or a charge at this stage). $2,500 ...

It's suspicious because I had not been able to view my booking on the site: there was some "error". When I cancelled the booking, they included a copy of my reservation, but it was with the NEW (i.e. current) terms

Very shady if you ask me. All I have been told is that if I forward the email to the hotel they will "honour" (how generous) my terms in that email.

I want to believe it was just an honest mistake...
If you booked something on SPG, your confirmation should show the terms of your booking.

It's not clear, but why did you cancel before speaking Customer Service to confirm that your reservation terms were the same as when you originally booked?

I'm missing something or something else has gone wrong.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Three suggestions:
1. Call Customer Service,
2. Call Customer Service, and
3. Call Customer Service

Mistakes happen all the time. If you act without at least calling, you may have lost a good deal.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
It just happened to me at a property in Europe , I booked using points with free cancellation up to arrival day (later this month).

Now SPG.COM says it's a 550 EUR cancellation fee and the date for cancellation has passed !

How are they allowed by law to modify the conditions of past reservations like this ??
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flyGreg
It just happened to me at a property in Europe , I booked using points with free cancellation up to arrival day (later this month).

Now SPG.COM says it's a 550 EUR cancellation fee and the date for cancellation has passed !

How are they allowed by law to modify the conditions of past reservations like this ??
What SPG says and what your RESERVATION CONFIRMATION states are two different things.

This has been noted on several occasion here in the SPG forum. The T&Cs of your booking is the important thing. Call Customer Service to put them on notice.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Not recent

Similar thing happened to me earlier this year. In March I booked one night of a 6-nt stay at a RACK rate using PLT guaranteed availability benefit at 4P Barcelona. At the end of April they changed it to a pre-paid rate and they charged the personal credit card that was primary on my SPG account. I didn't notice until just before the stay in May. I stayed anyway but had to make them refund my credit card and charge my corporate card because it was a work stay.

I had 3 different reservations that stay and it only happened to that one, but it was the only one booked through SPG; the other two were booked through my corporate site. That part of the stay was the Sat night of the Spanish Grand Prix so all of Barcelona was sold out, which is why I needed to use the PLT guarantee benefit that one night. Perhaps, like the OP's NYE booking, the hotel decided to retroactively make reservations pre-paid because of the peak demand. Hopefully you still have the original terms of the booking in your first confirmation e-mail.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
same thing happened to me at the westin phuket....i made a 4 night reservation at their 'opening special' rate when the property first opened up....my stay dates were still 3 months out at this point....the rate was completely refundable if i cancelled 2 days before my stay....

about a month later i had to cancel the stay so i logged on to find out that the terms had changed & the rate had changed to a non-refundable rate....i contacted the hotel & they asked me to send them a copy of my reservation email with the original t&c....i did that & the next day they cancelled my reservation without any charge....
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Interesting... I didn't realize this was such a common occurrence. I also happened to me a long time ago at the Westin Bali. In that instance, which was supposed to be a flexible reservation, the hotel actually emailed me and said they would change the terms to nonrefundable due to a large conference coming up. I held my ground and refused to agree based on the confirmation email that I already had, and in the end they maintained the terms of the original reservation.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What SPG says and what your RESERVATION CONFIRMATION states are two different things.
This is effectively a display error. Basically, all Starwood stores for a reservation is the rate code, personal information, and a couple of other things to minimize data storage requirements. They do not store the T&C that were in effect at the time of booking. So when you look up your reservation on spg.com, they map the code to the current T&C for that rate. The only record of the actual T&C for a reservation is your confirmation email. That's why it's critical to always hold on to that.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is effectively a display error. Basically, all Starwood stores for a reservation is the rate code, personal information, and a couple of other things to minimize data storage requirements. They do not store the T&C that were in effect at the time of booking. So when you look up your reservation on spg.com, they map the code to the current T&C for that rate. The only record of the actual T&C for a reservation is your confirmation email. That's why it's critical to always hold on to that.
What a great piece of information! I will never delete my confirmations emails again.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Has happened to me a few times. In such cases I call the credit card company and they make a note to take it up with the property if I decide to cancel (never had to so far). In another case a resort in the Pacific called me at 3am my time to tell me that since the booking is during peak period they will have to charge my card right then and the reservationwill be treated as nonref. They got a mouthful from spg and that was the end.
From my experienice a number of Asian properties "override" the booking terms and charge for the stay in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
This has happened twice to me. Each time I forwarded my confirmation email to the property and each time they corrected the terms which I was able to confirm online.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:19 pm

Wow. I did not know that. Glad I do now. Thx.

Cheers,
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Yup, this is why I always hold onto my confirmation emails!! Good advice. ^
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Minimizing data storage requirements?

What's an extra field in their booking database going to cost?

It's 2014 not 1960

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.