Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Platinum requesting gym dumbells in room? Am i Crazy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Hey folks - I tend to frequent what you might call higher-end SPG properties (St.Regis when available, W, Lux Collection, Westin) in major cities. I always say I'll make it to the gym, but never do. I was wondering if it's out of the question to request a pair of dumbbells from the hotel gym to be placed in my room for the duration of my usual 1 or 2 night hotel stays.

If this is out of the question - would this work much easier in a MO or FS? I have the option to stay in some cities at these hotels - but always opt for points with SPG properties.

Thanks for the tips - I know this one is a little random.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:31 am

Not Crazy, But Not Free

Back when I worked in hotels, Reservations and/or the Concierge would occasionally get slightly odd requests. Generally, if it was something that could be done without incurring a cost to the hotel, we'd do it. If it did cost money or required significant labor, we would offer to do it and bill the cost to the room.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but I'm guessing you aren't looking to pay anything extra. If that's the case, you're out of luck. A quick web search says that a dumbbell sets cost $200-500. The only way a hotel would spend that kind of money to fulfill a guest request is if that guest had hundreds of room nights at that hotel in a single year.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:40 am
tyn

A high end property should easily fulfill this kind of request.
But..
I too feel that a cost is to be expected (while there are bound to be dumbells in the gym, if they put it in your room they will not be available to other guests, so hotel will need to rent an extra set), as well as your signing some kind of document that will make you responsible for any potential damage to the room/furniture.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
If you reserve a Westin Workout room, which is available in some locations, this should be a request that can/will be fulfilled. There may be an additional cost in addition to the extra cost for the room.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PLAT
Why can't the OP just take the minute ride in the elevator to the hotel gym?? So odd.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Are there not any safety considerations that come into play when considering free weights flying around in a regular hotel room ?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:09 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
While I personally have not requested it, supposedly free weight sets are available to borrow at Hyatt properties:

http://experience.blog.hyatt.com/201...-hyatt-has-it/

Of course, the quantities may be limited.

In any case, I would imagine this is something that higher end properties would try to accommodate. There must be some demand for fitness equipment in rooms, otherwise Westin wouldn't have rolled out their Westin Workout rooms, and IHG wouldn't have launched their EVEN Hotel flag.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:45 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have a feeling this will always be hotel specific.... especially if you want it to be complimentary.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Gold, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flatbedflyer
I always say I'll make it to the gym, but never do.
I have the same problem but I'm thinking if I can't motivate myself to go to the gym, I probably wouldn't motivate myself to lift a dumbbell brought to my room... just sayin.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would there be liability issues if hotel would deliver the dumbbells and the guest would then injure self in room and not get help until the next day? If they're used in the gym, there are other guests and cleaning people who would see the problem, there might be closed circuit TV, and some gyms have windows to a hallway, pool, etc. so that someone passing by could notice the emergency.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I don't think it's an odd request for a 5* hotel like a St. Regis or Four Seasons, but unless they have excess equipment for the gym, you should expect a cost to apply since they can't just remove them from the gym used by other guests.

Best case scenario is they're able to rent them from a company who will deliver and pick them up. In any developed country, that firm will charge $50-60 for that service at a minimum -- probably 2 or 3 times that in a city like New York or Miami + the hotel will undoubtedly mark that up.

The other likely option is sending their own staff to a sporting goods store to purchase a set for you. That's ~2 hours of labor + the cost of the weights + their mark up.

It seems much easier to just get in the elevator and head to what is most likely to be a very nice gym with water bottles, fruit, strong air conditioning, etc.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
For all those Plats out there. I have always wondered if anyone has requested an upgrade to one of the Westin's workout rooms versus a suite?

I have also seen that some hotels are renting out top of the line Asics running shoes so that you don't need to bring running shoes on short business trips.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tfong007
I have also seen that some hotels are renting out top of the line Asics running shoes so that you don't need to bring running shoes on short business trips.
Too bad it's not a complimentary elite perk like Fairmont. (Though I don't think I'd call Asics "top of the line".)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP...

You're crazy.

Just go down to the gym.

Safe travels,

Doc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.