Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Matching a conference rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Matching a conference rate?

I'm going to a conference in a few weeks in Vancouver and I'm frustrated at the nightly rates.

The public rates at the downtown hotels are about $450/night. The conference rates (booked through the conference webpage, not spg.com) for the same dates are $200/night.

Is there anything I can do to get a reasonable booking through Starwood?

I know you don't get status nights or benefits for bookings not made through Starwood. I don't think BRG applies to negotiated rates.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are going to the conference and have the opportunity for the $200 rate, why not book it?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I'm SPG platinum.

On a conference rate (booked through a third party), you don't get the upgrades, free breakfast, lounge access and status nights.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm SPG platinum.

On a conference rate (booked through a third party), you don't get the upgrades, free breakfast, lounge access and status nights.
Is the Starwood property participating in the $200 conference rates (albeit through the conference website) or are you just wanting Starwood to match the $200 conference rate that is being offered through the website for a different property?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
Is the Starwood property participating in the $200 conference rates (albeit through the conference website) or are you just wanting Starwood to match the $200 conference rate that is being offered through the website for a different property?
Same property. You can book the Starwood property on both the conference and spg.com, but at wildly different rates. I think I'm out of luck here, as the BRG doesn't apply to negotiated rates, like conference rates.

I feel like I'm out of luck and should just go ahead and book with the conference. Just curious is the flyertalk community had any ideas of how to improve the situation.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Same property. You can book the Starwood property on both the conference and spg.com, but at wildly different rates. I think I'm out of luck here, as the BRG doesn't apply to negotiated rates, like conference rates.

I feel like I'm out of luck and should just go ahead and book with the conference. Just curious is the flyertalk community had any ideas of how to improve the situation.
I believe you are out of luck. The conference organizers apparently gave your elite benefits away for the lower rate.

I have had luck when say a conference is being held at a Hilton or Hyatt and I would prefer to stay at a Starwood property. I've sent emails to the property and have had them match the conference rate at the other hotel. A few years ago, I was able to get the Westin Riverwalk in San Antonio to match a Hyatt rate which was $85 less than the best I could get from the Westin. It certainly made me a repeat customer for the Westin Riverwalk.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
I have always received points, stay/night credits & plat recognition on conference rates in Marriott and Starwood properties.

Make sure you provide your SPG number at check-in!! ..and smile!!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Have you actually checked to determine whether rooms booked on this particular conference rate do or do not receive the perks which concern you?

Yes, it is up to conference organizers to negotiate and they can get a lower rate for fewer perks. Many businesses prefer that because they reimburse their employees meals.

But, until you check directly you won't know.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by controller1
The conference organizers apparently gave your elite benefits away for the lower rate.
Insufficient data to jump to that conclusion.

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
I have always received points, stay/night credits & plat recognition on conference rates in Marriott and Starwood properties.
Same here, including a conference in Vancouver. (Your conference wouldn't happen to be SIGGRAPH, would it?)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The public rates at the downtown hotels are about $450/night. The conference rates (booked through the conference webpage, not spg.com) for the same dates are $200/night.
Does the conference web page redirect through spg.com? Some that I attend do (they pre-fill a code via a special link).

What happens if you phone spg to make a reservation and tell them you're with the conference?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Have you actually checked to determine whether rooms booked on this particular conference rate do or do not receive the perks which concern you?

Yes, it is up to conference organizers to negotiate and they can get a lower rate for fewer perks. Many businesses prefer that because they reimburse their employees meals.

But, until you check directly you won't know.
No, I haven't checked. This is great news and I'll make sure to ask. I was under the impression that you don't get Starwood benefits unless you book through spg.com. I'd love to be wrong.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Same here, including a conference in Vancouver. (Your conference wouldn't happen to be SIGGRAPH, would it?)
Yes, I am indeed going to Siggraph in Vancouver in a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by sethb
Does the conference web page redirect through spg.com? Some that I attend do (they pre-fill a code via a special link).

What happens if you phone spg to make a reservation and tell them you're with the conference?
The website didn't redirect to spg.com. I'll call spg and ask them to add my number to the reservation. I didn't try calling them.

Thanks everyone for replying.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
I was under the impression that you don't get Starwood benefits unless you book through spg.com.
You can apply this blanket statement to prepaid stays booked through third party. On non-prepaid stays, YMMV.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Last conference I was at was at the Westin Diplomat but was booked through the conference (no web redirection or anything) and I received all the benefits. The rate we paid was lower than the lowest rate on the web, although not a $250 difference like you mentioned and we still got points, stays and all that jazz. I would contact the hotel and see if they know if you will receive credit.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
I just came from a conference in Baltimore. I booked at the Sheraton there through the conference site. I wasn't given a Starwood confirmation number. Then about a week before the conference, I got a confirmation email from the Sheraton with all of my details. My assistant called the hotel, gave them the confirmation number, and asked to add my SPG number. They did.

I then tried to pull it up online after the number was added. Spg.com could find that there was a reservation but I got an error message about the rate and details of the stay.

When I checked in, they said they had my SPG number, and I got all of the SPG benefits.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I also will be at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver and contacted the Westin Wall Centre. I booked through the conference/Experient site (at quite substantial savings) and the property confirmed that I will have full platinum benefits and stay/points credit. (I had a backup reservation at another property in case I was not going to get my benefits, which I have canceled).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.