Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Grand Mansion, Nanjing, China - Now Opening June 15, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Grand Mansion, Nanjing, China - Now Opening June 15, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post The Grand Mansion, Nanjing, China - Now Opening June 15, 2015

The Grand Mansion, Nanjing, China - Opening March 1, 2015

A new Nanjing hotel in the works, under Luxury Collection branding.

Beautifully appointed and spacious, the hotel’s 153 guest rooms, including 15 exquisite suites, offer refined comforts and convenient amenities. Fit for our most discerning guests, the singular Presidential Suite spans 300 square meters.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:37 pm

From the few photos shown on the website so far, the rooms look very similar to the design of Twelve at Hengshan in Shanghai.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
is this new construction or a hotel is a historic building? The name sounds like it should be the later, so I would have just assumed without the Twelve at Hengshan comparison.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Was in Nanjing last week, and did a little recon on this. Not 100% certain, but I believe the hotel in question will be a conversion of the "Centre Hotel"... which is a historic property across from the Presidential Palace grounds.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...g_Jiangsu.html

It was one of the first westernized hotels in NJ, dates from the 1930s. It's about the only option at the indicated street instersection, which otherwise has some larger museums, Libraries, a park, and the palace grounds. Hotel looked pretty worn from my breeze through the lobby. Needs a lot of work, it's still operating, and no remodel appeared to be in progress. March 2015 sounds wildly ambitious.

In other Nanjing SPG development news, the St Regis Nanjing is still listed as opening in January 2016, but the development of the 80+ floor tower it will be housed in is still not underway. They've cleared the parcel, which adjoins the Nanjing International Center, where the Westin is located... But they have not even started digging the foundation. The NIC property changed hands about a year ago (including ownership of the Westin NJ). They've shut down the largely vacant mall in order to revamp it, and don't seem in any rush to get the additional tower out of the ground. No way this one opens by 2016...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSP2SEA
Was in Nanjing last week, and did a little recon on this. Not 100% certain, but I believe the hotel in question will be a conversion of the "Centre Hotel"... which is a historic property across from the Presidential Palace grounds.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...g_Jiangsu.html

It was one of the first westernized hotels in NJ, dates from the 1930s. It's about the only option at the indicated street instersection, which otherwise has some larger museums, Libraries, a park, and the palace grounds. Hotel looked pretty worn from my breeze through the lobby. Needs a lot of work, it's still operating, and no remodel appeared to be in progress. March 2015 sounds wildly ambitious.

In other Nanjing SPG development news, the St Regis Nanjing is still listed as opening in January 2016, but the development of the 80+ floor tower it will be housed in is still not underway. They've cleared the parcel, which adjoins the Nanjing International Center, where the Westin is located... But they have not even started digging the foundation. The NIC property changed hands about a year ago (including ownership of the Westin NJ). They've shut down the largely vacant mall in order to revamp it, and don't seem in any rush to get the additional tower out of the ground. No way this one opens by 2016...
Wow the NIC Mall is closed? It gets very little traffic it seems. I wonder if they will drop the St. Regis. Only time will tell...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wow the NIC Mall is closed? It gets very little traffic it seems. I wonder if they will drop the St. Regis. Only time will tell...
Yes... off topic, but I've been morbidly tracking NIC to see what would happen. What, 3 years old and already starting over from scratch? Never got the tenants in. The new owner operates some successful shopping centers in Shanghai... the mostly restaurant driven thing attached to the Jin Mao Tower for one. So I have some hope they can get NIC back on track.

Technically, it's not completely shut down... they have actually left some of the top floor restaurants and the UME movie theater operating, plus the starbucks with exterior entry... but the guts of the shopping center is walled off and closed. All the escalators have been yanked out and are wrapped in plastic lying outside in the plaza in front of the center. It's one of the craziest things I've seen. They do have a lot of promotional information posted on site regarding the 3rd tower, so it does look like it's still their intention to develop it. I think the Westin is reasonably successful, the offices in South tower are leased, and it appears that they have made headway selling (or at least leasing) maybe 50% of the residential component of the North tower with high price points... so only the retail space has been a complete failure. (Plus, as you may be aware, the elevators in the Westin are a complete disaster).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
The Luxury Collection is a new build attached to a museum beside the Presidential Palace, so not the Centre Hotel. If you go out the main gate of the Presidential Palace and turn left, its further down on the left.

JinMao bought into NIG for funding I think and the St Regis is definitely going ahead. Lots of advertising, particularly for the apartments and they did a lot of work on the site before stopping as everyone had to do for the Youth Olympics. Same with the Shopping Mall (I totally agree that it was a non-starter from the beginning). They did lots of work and then stopped for the games. Interested see if they start again when I'm back in a few weeks. There is a model of the new development in the ground lobby of the Westin & it shows major changes and a direct connection to the subway which would be great. 2016 is a wildly optimistic date IMHO.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

That's nice, looking forward to the St. Regis and Grand Mansion.

Grand Mansion next year March seems like too good to be true? I bet it will be delayed till mid year or even 3rd quarter.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:18 am

Thanks for the additional detail. Good news on both fronts, although I'm not holding my breath on either open date.

I'm usually at the Westin for 2 weeks at a time... could see relocating to The Mansion over the middle weekend! Could be a fun location near the 1912 district and Xin Jie Kou...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:28 pm

I try and tag new Starwood properties on Wikimapia whenever their locations become available. Since there's some confusion about this hotel, you can go to this link to see its location:

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=32...93884&z=18&m=b
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Post New opening date - April 15, 2015

New opening date - April 15, 2015.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

New opening date - June 15, 2015.

New opening date - June 15, 2015.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Dammit. Was looking to book in May for starwood oriented friends as a option compared to the dated Sheraton and a Westin tucked behind a shut down mall.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Opening August 1, 2015

Opening August 1, 2015 Category 4

Basic Deluxe rooms available for booking and only flexible and breakfast rates loaded. Waiting for the opening offers.

Very nice sized Deluxe Room (495 sq ft / 46 m²), bigger than both existing Westin and Sheraton properties.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Seems to be already open. Plugging in dates for this weekend brings up rates of around $175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.