Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
1. What is the suite-upgrade benefit for SPG Platinum members?
Technically, the published benefit isn't for a suite upgrade, but rather for the "best available room." As described in the official SPG statement of Platinum benefits, such upgrades are subject to several conditions and limitations:

Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites. [Footnote: Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.]
2. Wait--you mean I might not be entitled to get any sort of upgrade?
That's right. Legitimate reasons for getting no upgrade of any kind include
  • You booked your stay "through a pre-paid third-party channel" such as Priceline.
  • You're at an all-suite hotel.
  • You're at an Aloft or Element hotel.
3. None of that applies to me. I can see suites available for purchase online, so the property has to upgrade me to one, right?
No.

First of all, the benefit covers only Standard Suites. As the published benefit statement makes clear, "Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded."

Second, the benefit is "[s]ubject to availability at check-in." If an otherwise qualifying suite (or other room) is not "available" at the time you check in, you're not entitled to it.

Why might a suite be available for a paid booking right now, for tonight, but not "available" for purposes of upgrade? Lots of reasons, including
  • it's before 4pm local time, and some Platinum (or other elite) SPG member is taking advantage of the separate late-checkout benefit. So the suite will indeed be up for grabs to any willing purchaser later today--and is thus listed in online inventory--but right now is occupied.
  • the suite is empty, but hasn't yet been made ready by housekeeping.

Additionally, even if a Standard Suite is cleaned, ready for occupancy, and available for booking online, you're not necessarily entitled to it, because it must be available "for the entire length of the stay." If you're staying at the property for 4 nights, you can't just look at rooms/suites available for tonight; a suite open right now might be booked for tomorrow night or the night after that. In that case, you can't have it, even for a portion of your stay.

Finally, properties often pre-block suites and upgraded rooms for elite status guests ahead of time. These rooms are still offered for sale, and you can change your reservation to pay for the suite. But it's not considered "available" for you to be put in at time of check-in. SPG provides properties with a suggested order of priority for elite members. So the suite that you see may be already be pre-assigned to another elite guest with a higher "priority" than you.
4. Wow. Don't those exceptions give an unscrupulous manager a license to game the system?
Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that you as a guest are in no position to determine whether there's a suite occupied by someone checking out late and/or being cleaned by hotel staff. And no, in the sense that these things can in fact be determined after the fact by somebody who is not you.
5. So what should I do if I think I'm being improperly denied an upgrade?
First, what not to do: make a scene at the front desk waving around your laptop opened to the SPG site showing suites available for booking. As you know -- you read items 2-4 above, right? -- that information is at best evidence that there might be a suite available for you.

If you think you're being short-changed,
6. But the last time I stayed at this property/when I called a few days before checkin, I was given/promised an upgrade to the Honeymoon suite/a suite after my first night/etc. etc.!
Perhaps. Properties are entirely free to go above and beyond the published program benefits for Platinum guests (or even lowly Golds), but this is not the same as an entitlement. It's bad for a property to overpromise and underdeliver, and you may well choose to take such concerns to SPG corporate representatives. Just keep in mind the difference between a clear entitlement under SPG's terms and an extra offer on which the hotel couldn't or wouldn't follow through.
Print Wikipost

I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
... but really someone's approach impacts their upgrade potential from just one glance at the check in desk?
Yes, attitude and appearance matter. Common in the airline world when opups by a GA are required on a flight.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:55 am

So it is the fault of guests that properties choose not to follow Starwood rules?
No. Not even close to what I said.

Would race play a part too perhaps? Sounds like if this is how things work Starwood has much bigger problems than I thought.
Bizarre comment, since you don't even know my "race".

All I am saying is the right attitude, a modicum of respect, and some proactive effort to build positive relationships has rewarded me with benefits OVER & ABOVE what I am otherwise entitled.

That, and I don't throw a DYKWIA hissy fit, or attribute malice, the odd time somebody makes a mistake.

Cheers,
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flews
No. Not even close to what I said.

Bizarre comment, since you don't even know my "race".

All I am saying is the right attitude, a modicum of respect, and some proactive effort to build positive relationships has rewarded me with benefits OVER & ABOVE what I am otherwise entitled.

That, and I don't throw a DYKWIA hissy fit, or attribute malice, the odd time somebody makes a mistake.

Cheers,
If things are done right first time I suspect the most over entitled will leave feeling reasonably happy with the outcome.

I just do not recognise this picture of the entitled plat rocking up to the check in desk and before uttering their name demanding the presidential suite. I see plenty of issues where the someone hasn't been upgraded because a property is notorious for holding back inventory and where I myself often have problems.

There is no reason not to be polite to front desk staff or to attempt to resolve issues reasonably but approach will depend on other things, for instance my own tolerance is stretched wafer thin if I have waited half an hour for 2 people to check in ahead of me.

My broader point was if adherence to standards comes down to the absolute discretion of poorly paid and sometimes poorly trained staff there is a big problem with realisation of benefits. If a check in agent doesn't like how you look then you don't get the room type you are entitled to is a very dangerous road to go down and brings to bear huge potential for personal prejudice and misconception. In my experience upgrade decisions are made well ahead of check in and simply communicated by the the front desk staff. Which is why it is
futile haranguing them, in such instances I politely ask to speak to a superior.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:27 pm

So it is the fault of guests that properties choose not to follow Starwood rules?

Given that any upgrade should be processed in the background and at the point of check in (at the latest) honestly applied I don't really see how this could possible work.
I understand that Starwood has T&Cs regarding best available room at check-in, but what rules are there requiring that "any upgrade should be processed in the background"? Assuming for the sake of argument that such a rule existed, I can't even begin to imagine what that would look like in practice given that (according to certain threads over the years) SPG merely gives properties a suggested upgrade priority ranking, not a mandated one.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Given that any upgrade should be processed in the background and at the point of check in
Find this in the rules.

I'll save you the trouble, it's not in there.

The fact that the complimentary Plat upgrades are processed at time of check-in cannot in any universe imply that the property lacks the power to make other upgrades on whatever basis it wishes in advance of check-in.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Find this in the rules.

I'll save you the trouble, it's not in there.

The fact that the complimentary Plat upgrades are processed at time of check-in cannot in any universe imply that the property lacks the power to make other upgrades on whatever basis it wishes in advance of check-in.
It simply isn't my experience in 10 years as a plat and stays in all but one continent that the room I am offered at check in isn't the room type the system is pushing out. Sometimes I have discussed the room type offered and had that changed but were I to walk away and not challenge the original offer I would have the room type the system is giving the agent. I honestly don't believe I have ever been on the receiving end of an agent winging it and in many cases where I have accepted the first offered room I have had some note welcoming me or welcoming me back again suggesting that the agent has had nothing to do with the room initially offered.

This idea that everything rests on genuflecting to the check in agent is just wrong in my lifetime experience with Starwood. I would be genuinely concerned if my stay experience stood or fell based upon a 3 minute check in encounter. I may test this theory by handing over large denomination notes at check in as a gratuity to see if it changes my stay experience.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
This idea that everything rests on genuflecting to the check in agent is just wrong in my lifetime experience with Starwood. I would be genuinely concerned if my stay experience stood or fell based upon a 3 minute check in encounter. I may test this theory by handing over large denomination notes at check in as a gratuity to see if it changes my stay experience.
No one is saying that "everything rests" on this. We're saying: in the small subset of cases where hotels seem to be low on upgrade inventory although spg.com shows rooms available for sale, and where associates thus seem to be told by their management to limit upgrades, that being kind to the associate who checks you in can be a useful tactic to get an upgrade that you may not otherwise get due to being "full".
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
... being kind to the associate who checks you in can be a useful tactic to get an upgrade that you may not otherwise get due to being "full".
A slight variation on this:

... being kind to the associate who checks you in can be a useful tactic to get an upgrade that you may not otherwise get due to being "full" is always a nice way to approach people, and often will lead to kindness in return.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:48 am

I would be genuinely concerned if my stay experience stood or fell based upon a 3 minute check in encounter.
You seriously can't see how that would play out?

Let's say you asked the front desk agent to check with his/her manager and see whether there are any better rooms available.

Scenario 1
FD agent: Hi [name of manager], I'm checking in a Platinum who wants to know if he can get a better upgrade. I've checked the system and it's not showing any rooms that I'm authorised to upgrade to, but he's really nice and I wanted to see if we can get him something better. Can you check?

Scenario 2
FD agent: Hi [name of manager], I'm checking in a Platinum who's being really obnoxious about demanding a better upgrade. I've checked the system and it's not showing anything that I can upgrade to. Shall I just tell him you said there isn't anything else?

Assuming the manager is generally on the side of the FD agent, which do you think will result in a better upgrade, all other things being equal?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
You seriously can't see how that would play out?

Let's say you asked the front desk agent to check with his/her manager and see whether there are any better rooms available.

Scenario 1
FD agent: Hi [name of manager], I'm checking in a Platinum who wants to know if he can get a better upgrade. I've checked the system and it's not showing any rooms that I'm authorised to upgrade to, but he's really nice and I wanted to see if we can get him something better. Can you check?

Scenario 2
FD agent: Hi [name of manager], I'm checking in a Platinum who's being really obnoxious about demanding a better upgrade. I've checked the system and it's not showing anything that I can upgrade to. Shall I just tell him you said there isn't anything else?

Assuming the manager is generally on the side of the FD agent, which do you think will result in a better upgrade, all other things being equal?
The point is that this is an edge case and not the normal run of things as it was presented. I agree it is always best to be pleasant to those checking you in but there comes a point in the "we have no other rooms to upgrade you to", "I can see that you are selling x types of suite, and y club rooms and executive rooms online" conversation when you need to escalate.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that slapping the check in agent around the face when offered an inferior room is a good opening gambit.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
..."I can see that you are selling x types of suite, and y club rooms and executive rooms online" conversation when you need to escalate...
Basing the argument on what's being offered online is not valid. Almost akin to saying your competitor has upgrades available, why don't you? Hotels overbook... They have years of history to support doing this and they have walk procedures in place if needed.

I suspect if they are actually still selling suites (not just listing online) and you are willing to pay the going rate, they will gladly downgrade whoever is blocked in that room to get the higher revenue. Expecting them to do that for nothing is unreasonable in my book.

I do know some FDCs are less than truthful in their ability to upgrade not wanting/able to do the extra work. So it's a fine line. Until we have visibility of everything happening at a property, we can only guess. I watch their demeanor to judge how far I'm willing to push (canned response vs actually looking). Getting an upgrade after complaining does not mean they were withholding the upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Or, in essence, properties should not upgrade plats as there is no way to be found out anyway. Which is why many properties don't, of course.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Or, in essence, properties should not upgrade plats as there is no way to be found out anyway. Which is why many properties don't, of course.
Oh, they can be found out, just not in the time-frame to get you an upgrade. SPG can look at the numbers. I believe they also have access to the rez details to see what was done. And I suspect there is some level of compliance audit to make sure they are not billing SPG for activity not done (wasn't an LM in NYC caught doing that?).

As a seasoned traveller, I've been able to get a good idea of property loading by looking around. Granted the buses throw me off, unless I'm there as they are unloading.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by RogerD408
And I suspect...
You might and you may well have good reasons to do so; personally I do not.

Sadly we have no evidence SPG are auditing plat upgrades nor do we know if there are any penalties for properties, nor even in principle. I've been advocating audits for as long as I remember.

(Of course SPG will not confirm nor deny they monitor this as it's company information and I am not saying they necessarily should tell us what they do.)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
You might and you may well have good reasons to do so; personally I do not.

Sadly we have no evidence SPG are auditing plat upgrades nor do we know if there are any penalties for properties, nor even in principle. I've been advocating audits for as long as I remember.

(Of course SPG will not confirm nor deny they monitor this as it's company information and I am not saying they necessarily should tell us what they do.)
Transparency is not a strong point for SPG on many levels. As soon as they say they do a particular thing the next question will be for details which they do not want to share (i.e. membership numbers, SNA redemption, etc.).

I do find keeping a positive attitude serves me well and believe I get a lot further with others when projecting the same. When I find a negative person getting in my way, I look for ways around them, not through them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.