Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Do Starwood Lurkers correlate member posts against real-life people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Starwood Lurkers correlate member posts against real-life people?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by jb3t
How do you know?
You mean besides the on duty manager apologizing for my previous stay? I never made any negative comments to the staff during my stay; I simply noted the substandard service and posted about it on FT in the hotel's review thread.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
i know for fact that my ambassador knows my handle... as do the GMs of the short list of properties that i've stayed at 10+ times..... not sure why anyone would care...

only the guilty worry about being tracked. :-)
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
All I can say is the lurkers have been....

...uniformly helpful...with the ever outstanding William going the extra mile for me on a couple of occasions.
So I have shared my personal information with them because its always been positive.

Last edited by HomerJ; Dec 13, 2013 at 8:40 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
+1 on SPG correlating your social media activities and your identity. While they may or may not be trying to "guess" who you are, but once you provided your SPG number via PM or DM on Twitter, it's recorded.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Hey, if it makes things better I'm all for it. I griped (in a survey and perhaps elsewhere) about the lengthy check in time at the Sheraton MXP. I had been at the hotel five or six times and I get there typically late in the evening and the guy seems to spend five minutes punching and clicking before I got my room key. The last time somehow they did a "Pre-checkin" and handed me a key within 30 seconds of my arrival at the front of the line.

Now if they could improve the breakfast at the lounge (though the new coffee machine is a start)....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
i'd posted a few stories about my how awesome my ambassador was (without revealing names) and she found it within a few weeks, and even got some props from her boss when he found it too.

I've been a number of small (from 1 - 20pax) airline and hotel events with a management meet and greet, and to a T, everyone said they read all the threads on FT and other boards. Doesn't surprise me, and they really should be, if they're trying to take the pulse of the people.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by cleanfloor
I've been a number of small (from 1 - 20pax) airline and hotel events with a management meet and greet, and to a T, everyone said they read all the threads on FT and other boards. Doesn't surprise me, and they really should be, if they're trying to take the pulse of the people.
That's because you're going to get a LOT more brutal honesty from FT posters about how they feel about your product. And anyone who's been here for a while can separate the legit posts from the questionable ones.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, United
Though I do not have first hand knowledge of SPG practices I can tell you that as a technology professional there is a lot of analytics and correlation going on with social media and standard operations of the business.

What this means more transparently is that companies are automatically scanning twitter etc. looking for things to be alerted to and then correlating them back to customers using a shared key of some kind.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by PTahCha
+1 on SPG correlating your social media activities and your identity. While they may or may not be trying to "guess" who you are, but once you provided your SPG number via PM or DM on Twitter, it's recorded.
Not to mention via social media like Twitter, Facebook, Four Square and Google+. A few years ago, Starwood had a Four Square check in. Shouldn't be hard to figure out who is checking in where, via Facebook, Google+ or Yelp.

If you are providing the information there shouldn't be any issue. I've always said, if you don't want something on the internet, don't post it.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brentley
Though I do not have first hand knowledge of SPG practices I can tell you that as a technology professional there is a lot of analytics and correlation going on with social media and standard operations of the business.

What this means more transparently is that companies are automatically scanning twitter etc. looking for things to be alerted to and then correlating them back to customers using a shared key of some kind.
Agreed, if someone complains here, you can go right to twitter and/or facebook and search for key words and know exactly who commented on situation.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Agreed, if someone complains here, you can go right to twitter and/or facebook and search for key words and know exactly who commented on situation.
Explain this to me (I'm old and un-techie)...let's say I complain about something here on FT. And I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account (or I don't post the same thing on FB or TW) - how can someone go to one of those sites and know what I said here? (Please speak slowly...)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:48 am

If you are only on FT (and not on other social media) then you can only be identified by what you note in your FT complaint and perhaps your past history on FT.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok, so the assumption made above was that practically everyone is on both (which is obviously not true). That's good. Truly, I don't know much about this stuff so I thought anything I said somewhere was immediately transmitted everywhere, which made no sense to me.

But thinking about this further...if I did make a complaint here on FT, and the same one on FB, how would anyone find it anyway unless I let them into my FB account (don't I have to accept them as a friend? So how would a hotel or whatever know what I've said on FB?)

I've always been very private so this stuff makes me queasy, I don't know how you young 'uns can just be "out there" with everything.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Ok, so the assumption made above was that practically everyone is on both (which is obviously not true). That's good. Truly, I don't know much about this stuff so I thought anything I said somewhere was immediately transmitted everywhere, which made no sense to me.

But thinking about this further...if I did make a complaint here on FT, and the same one on FB, how would anyone find it anyway unless I let them into my FB account (don't I have to accept them as a friend? So how would a hotel or whatever know what I've said on FB?)

I've always been very private so this stuff makes me queasy, I don't know how you young 'uns can just be "out there" with everything.
I don't use FB so I can't answer that, but twitter we can see all the post going to the spg account. a simple search on some key words makes it east to find a person.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:00 pm

I think the idea is SPG would ask you to "like" them on FB in exchange for some promo participation and then see your SPG related comments as a result (plus links to when you are travelling etc etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.